Engadget Editorial on Android Hacking

Last Updated:

1. mckooter

mckooter Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I havent seen this (in anything other than the Droid X forums). The engadget editorial posted by Nilay Patel about his bad encounters with flashing his droid x.

Editorial: Firmware, forums, and desperation -- the dark side of Android hacking -- Engadget

Personally (and I see that im not alone by the comments on that thread) I feel that Nilay is very misguided in his attack on google not cracking down on the manufacturers providing a restore to stock application. Its obviously the manufacturers responsibility to include this tool (and I can obviously see why they wouldn't (hint,hint they dont want you to root/flash your device).

Nilay ended up calling into this Thursday night's AndroidGuys [pod]cast: Android Guys Thursday Nights 9/23/2010 - AndroidGuys | Internet Radio | Blog Talk Radio

Anyway, i'm one of the people who associate it with buying a dell laptop, flashing the bios, having a power outage (your own fault) and then blaming microsoft for not forcing dell to provide a free bios recovery tool

Advertisement
  2. jon hazle

jon hazle Active Member

True that.. everyone worth their salt should backup and do recovery excersizes before flashing a new rom no? Standard practice to create your own way back to stock before putting anything new on the phone, I mean that just makes sense to me :)

3. Genetic_Bloom

Genetic_Bloom Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's just incredibly stupid. You can't blame Google for that, you can only blame yourself for not following the directions. Every ROM you flash says do it at your own risk. That Engadget article is trash and I can't believe he even can justify blaming Google for his own stupidity.

4. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

This guy is an idiot - at least with regard to what he did here. Any time you venture beyond what's supported, you're on your own. Never go down a one-way path unless you're willing to not return.

I couldn't help but laugh when he started his second paragraph with "Let's back up".

5. faugusztin

faugusztin Well-Known Member

And a bonus - how could he have problems finding a original firmware, when it is downloadable from a trustworthy web (these are the guys who try to solve the signed kernel problem on Milestone/DroidX/Droid2) :
    sbf:droidx [And Developers]