Engadget: "No 2.2 for hero." Not for eris either?General

Last Updated:

1. SoulWeaponry

SoulWeaponry Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Mar 30, 2010
    No 2.2 for hero, which is essentially the same phone as the eris but with sprint up it's ass. If htc isn't supporting future updates for it, does that basically mean it won't for eris either? Sure does feel like it. Something about "future devices launching 2.1 will get froyo" seems awfully....abandoning?

"It looks like EVO 4G users will soon have one more thing to smile about, as Sprint has just announced that an Android 2.2 (aka Froyo) upgrade will indeed be coming to the "superphone."
    With the Android 2.2 upgrade, customers can expect improvements to include the following benefits: updates to user interface, improved EAS Support, improved browser performance, including Flash 10x Support, voice dialing over Bluetooth and application storage on external memory.
    No word on a timeframe yet, but you'll know as soon as we do -- promise.

Update: According to this tweet from the carrier: "HTC EVO will be updated to Android 2.2; Samsung Moment & HTC Hero will not. Future devices launching w/ 2.1 will be also be updated to 2.2.""

Sprint: EVO 4G users getting Android 2.2 'in the near future' (Update: No upgrade for Moment, Hero) -- Engadget

2. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    I don't care about 2.2. Hopefully Verizon will release another superphone (with Gingerbread of course) next year and allow all whose contract expires in 2011 for an early upgrade. Until then, Verizon and HTC better release a bug fix for the silent bug issue, etc for the Eris.
  3. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2010
    As long as they release a bugfix with 2.1, I can live without 2.2. Hell, if the devs ever rooted 1.49, I wouldn't care if the Eris ever got 2.2!
  4. T-Keith

T-Keith Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    This is sad, the older phones are the ones that need the speed boat from froyo. I'm kind of sick of the "get you to buy a new phone" argument. I pretty sure htc and verizon know that most people aren't going to buy a new phone until they are at the end of their contact, and the eris hasn't been out for a year. Which means most buyers have a year to wait for a new phone. I can tell you for me motorola is sounding better all the time. They are still updating their android phone that came out at the same time.
  5. Hiroshika

Hiroshika Well-Known Member

May 30, 2010
    I think, if theyre going to discontinue updates to a phone, then they (htc) should give us an legitimate root method/rom we can flash to any phone and update it ourselves.

Silly htc...