• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Engadget's take on Nexus One VS Droid

Let me answer two questions with this one post:

1) Increasing storage will allow the DROID to run faster because those apps are no longer stored on the RAM, rather on the SD card. That's what we're talking about: Having apps stored and run from the SD card. More apps on the SD card mean less on the RAM leaving it to run system processes.

2) Yes, you can run Class 6 SD cards on the DROID. They are expensive right now, but with all solid state memory, prices eventually go down. So, keep an eye out. Try to buy from manufacturers that you know, as some "China" ebay memory sellers tend to "mis-label" their memory cards.

Upvote 0
But the N1 has 512 mb for app space. TWICE as much as DROID (@ 256 mb). Plus, that extra RAM isn't just for apps. It's for system processes, which helps overall speed of the device. Whatever the Snapdragon processor lacks on, having twice the memory surely makes up for any deficiencies, particularly in multitasking.

Until there's an App2SD for non-rooted phones, the N1 wins out here. I'd take 512 mb RAM and a 4 gb SD over 256 mb RAM and 16 gb SD any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Oh and 16 gb is more than TRIPLE the space, it's FOUR TIMES the space compared to a 4 gb SD.

I'd like to add that there's a difference between RAM and ROM. Of course, the N1 has 512MB RAM, so it can handle more simultaneous running processes than the Droid.

However, like the Droid, it also is limited to 512MB ROM, meaning it cannot store any more apps than the Droid (as the OS will still take up about ~256MB of that ROM, leaving the rest for apps).

Of course, when Google releases a version of Android with SD card encryption, app storage space will become a non-issue.

Upvote 0
Let me answer two questions with this one post:

1) Increasing storage will allow the DROID to run faster because those apps are no longer stored on the RAM, rather on the SD card. That's what we're talking about: Having apps stored and run from the SD card. More apps on the SD card mean less on the RAM leaving it to run system processes.

I see... so RAM is occupied by the running programs as well as downloaded programs? I am used to the windows world where RAM is only occupied by running programs.

Upvote 0
This is great news! More phones = more apps developed. We all win.
great point. Many asking where the apps? I respond its coming, but as you brought up the more android phones out their the more developers are going to want in.......I am new to the android market but for what i can coount (coreect me) you have the my touch, droid/milestone, droid eris/hero,nexus one, alot more ...but that is 7 off of the top of my head spread out among all 3 major carriers (4 when att gets one). The iphone is on one network, developers are going to want to put something on the market.

Upvote 0
I see... so RAM is occupied by the running programs as well as downloaded programs? I am used to the windows world where RAM is only occupied by running programs.

Your understanding is correct. His is incorrect.

RAM - Same as on your PC. This is temporary, volatile memory. It is used to store info for running processes. It is cleared every time your phone is powered off!

ROM - This is where the OS and your downloaded apps are loaded.

RAM/ROM Specs for:

Droid - 256/512
N1 - 512/512

Upvote 0
Your understanding is correct. His is incorrect.

RAM - Same as on your PC. This is temporary, volatile memory. It is used to store info for running processes. It is cleared every time your phone is powered off!

ROM - This is where the OS and your downloaded apps are loaded.

RAM/ROM Specs for:

Droid - 256/512
N1 - 512/512
So the droid will not gain any speed from having the apps stored on the SD. The main benefit will be that there can be very large apps (games/nav) in the marketplace.

Upvote 0
So the droid will not gain any speed from having the apps stored on the SD. The main benefit will be that there can be very large apps (games/nav) in the marketplace.

Correct. This issue is quite pertinent as it's keeping a lot of quality developers away from the Android platform right now. Once it's addressed, we should see larger apps (read games) on the same level of quality as the iPhone.

Anyways, 256MB of RAM is a lot, so the Droid should still manage okay. The N1 has the advantage because it is newer tech.

Still, RAM is so dirt cheap nowadays, I don't see why they don't just put like a gig in each phone and call it a day.

Upvote 0
seem like we just behind on cell phone technology whats cool here is already old overseas. would like to see us catch up and have phones that take advantage of all its capability with out rooting/jailbreaking. All the hype over the nexus one i think will be short lived wants it is released and people disect people are going to have issues on it like we have now with droid, iphone, and any other phone. Ima keep my droid it does what I want. But it would be good to save apps on the sd card. Also it would be nice for google to build a system that is more computer friendly (similar to itunes); where you can plug in your phone and update the phone and download files and music. Because the casual user (and i will admit I am one of them) who they looking to attract with the nexus may not want to (or have time to) go through all the having to input commands and learn the linux system just to play around with the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones