Enhancements by Orange & T-Mobile

Last Updated:

1. prepbgg

prepbgg Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've read numerous references here to the fact that Heroes supplied by Orange and T-Mobile suffer from numerous disadvantages as a result of software modifications by the carriers. What changes do Orange and T-Mobile actually make? What, if anything, is improved as a result?

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

I can't speak for T-M, but for Orange:

(a) The carrier logo as a 7mm x 7mm square on the lower back panel
    (b) A brief animated splash screen during boot
    (c) Five bookmarks linking to OrangeWorld support pages

Apart from (b) and (c) I've seen no difference in functionality between the Orange version and the generic HTC software (currently running 1.76.405.6 as a comparison).

/Al

3. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

And you can delete the bookmarks or set your own so really it's only the splash screen on loading and a bit of branding on the battery cover.

Orange don't modify the front end of this phone like they have done with other older handsets (Orange only icons, menu colours etc etc.)

4. nafe

nafe Well-Known Member

The biggest question is whether they allow you to update the phone direct from HTC rather than having to wait for them. I'm actually on the phone to Orange right now to find out but I'm not convinced they'll have any idea :).

edit: Just got off the phone to an Orange techy about the phone, not a very constructive call unfortunately. Basically he confirmed that it's Orange policy to restrict updates on phones and release them if there's a significant problem that needs addressing. However, he also said that he doesn't have specific information about the Orange HTC Hero so can't confirm that it'll behave that way.

Very frustrating, not sure if I should get it from Orange or an offline one.

5. Wahwah

Wahwah Well-Known Member

There's been no updates yet and previous HTC updates have arrived significantly after the proposed release date so just because it's been said an update is imminent (and has it even been officially announced?) it doesn't mean it's actually going to arrive.

The sensible thing to do is wait until people actually have the update, see what Orange and T-mobile do and if it's insufficient start researching how to debrand the handset and update it to a new generic firmware. I don't know how to do this right now but I believe it's possible (fairly sure someone here's done it).

Whatever happens you'll be able to update your phone it just might be a bit of hassle.

6. Wahwah

Wahwah Well-Known Member

If you do order one, for God's sake get it instore somewhere so you can swap it easily. I'm on my 5th handset now after Orange kept couriering me (brand new) phones which were faulty to exchange for a faulty phone. It's the most inconsistently manufactured phone ever, I've never had such problems with any piece of hardware (or even returned anything).

What's more, I'd return the one I have now if I thought I'd get one that was better but I think I'm settling for the best of a bad bunch.

7. nafe

nafe Well-Known Member

Sheesh, that doesn't sound very good at all.

I've been having a rather frustrating day, it seems like there's not a single network out there that offers a solid deal. Orange are saying it's a 500mb limit and that's that, I can't pin them down to unlimited. Some CSR's say if I go to 501mb I'll be charged, some say I'll be emailed. Sod that.

I call o2 about their simplicity sim-only deal with web bolt on. First guy tells me that the 250mb cap has been scrapped and there's merely a don't take the piss fair usage policy (I'm paraphrasing of course). Second salesperson says it's actually about 200mb. I then talk to a CSR and she says it's completely unlimited but I'll be charged for downloading/video streaming like youtube. No good.

T-Mobile I've not even discussed what sort of things I can use, they have a 3gb FUP but everyone on T-Mob over at xda-developers say that the download speeds on HSDPA is atrocious.

I've not even considered Voda as there doesn't seem to be a way to add a data plan to their sim only deals on the website.

Guh.

8. prepbgg

Thank you everyone for your input. It seems that the "enhancements" can be a bit of a liability.

With all the problems I've been reading about on this forum I'm wondering whether I should hold off for a while longer before buying a smart phone.

nafe, you didn't mention 3 in your list of carriers. At least one contributor to this forum has mentioned having an unlocked phone on 3. Might that be a viable option?

9. nafe

nafe Well-Known Member

Funny you should mention that, prepbgg. I just got through talking to an online CSR with three and they really don't have much to offer at all,

10. prepbgg

I've just gone onto the 3 website and fallen at the first hurdle after following the "Get Started with your free SIM" link. Their website requires a check that my mobile "is 3G" and the only models listed under HTC are Mteor and Tytn II.

Presumably I could pretend I have a model that is on their list, but might that lead to difficulties?

11. nafe

nafe Well-Known Member

I used the live chat function on the site and after a few minutes checking, the CSR I was speaking to came back and confirmed that the Hero was capable.