• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Enough is Enough..

Here's the deal with Moto. They make decent hardware, but they are major a-holes.

This isn't a Motorola only issue. This is more about Verizon and its partnerships with other companies that are associated with the bloatware.

The real problem is Verizon. Motorola is just a handset maker that needs to abide by Verizon's rules, or no dice.

I mean, even my Verizon Blackberry Storm had LOADS of bloatware, and they were pushing the bloat OTA without user CONSENT! I will NOT be surprised once we start seeing bloatware OTA being pushed to the Droid X.

Upvote 0
This isn't a Motorola only issue. This is more about Verizon and its partnerships with other companies that are associated with the bloatware.

The real problem is Verizon. Motorola is just a handset maker that needs to abide by Verizon's rules, or no dice.

I mean, even my Verizon Blackberry Storm had LOADS of bloatware, and they were pushing the bloat OTA without user CONSENT! I will NOT be surprised once we start seeing bloatware OTA being pushed to the Droid X.

yeah. i'd be ok with bloat if the user were allowed to delete it. the fact that it's locked to the device shouldn't be legal. they made it illegal in europe for microsoft to lock IE to Windows, and while i dont believe in government intervention in these business issues, i do think verizon should give its users a choice on whether they want to keep the apps or not. while it would cut their profitability, it would be such a small percentage, i think it would be the right decision just because it would be the right thing to do for the user.

Upvote 0

Verizon contributes to the problem, but are in no way the source. Every phone since the Droid1 has had an encrypted bootloader, look at the Milestone for example, it's not on VZW and it still hasn't been fully rooted yet. The source of the problem is Motorola, which sucks because they really do make a great device, hardware wise anyway. I could care less what bloatware VZW puts on my phone, as long as I have the ability to remove what I don't like, Moto doesn't want us to be able to have full access to our phones. I'm amazed that they cannot see how much longer a phone will last when it is a "dev favorite" much like the Droid1. Going back even farther, look at the HTC Touch(Vogue), it was one of the first all touchscreen phones, it ran WinMo, and was the first to be able to dual-boot to Android. Take a look in the HTC Vogue forums over at XDA or PPCGeeks, they are still very active, that is 100% because the devs love the phone.

Please Moto, do not waste some pretty amazing hardware by loading it with software that most of us are trying very hard to get rid of.

Upvote 0
U cant compare a phone to a PC. PC's have the ability to come with no OS, no software installed at all. Phones dont have that option.

PC's that come with an OS have the option of being wiped complety off the harddrive and a new OS installed.

IF phones had the option of coming with no OS at all, or the option of being wiped completely off the phone from within the phone, than I can see the comparisons to PC's..

Like someone mentioned, the Fascinate isnt locked down so it's not a Verizon thing. HTC phones have Sense UI which many ppl consider a better UI than Blur. So I dont see why Motorola would be trying to protect Blur and HTC isnt protecting Sense UI..

Upvote 0
U cant compare a phone to a PC. PC's have the ability to come with no OS, no software installed at all. Phones dont have that option.

IF phones had the option of coming with no OS at all, than I can see the comparisons to PC's..

Like someone mentioned, the Fascinate isnt locked down so it's not a Verizon thing. HTC phones have Sense UI which many ppl consider a better UI than Blur. So I dont see why Motorola would be trying to protect Blur and HTC isnt protecting Sense UI..

also, computers dont have monthly service attached, and every time a computer has a little hiccup, users dont run back to the store where they bought it, expecting a new one. it really isnt fair to compare phones and computers.

even still, i still cant figure out why motorola is doing what they are doing. i would really like to know.

Upvote 0
A verizon rep stated that the reason they could keep the price of some phones down was because of advertising incentive revenue which we lovingly call "bloat".

And I'm sure that if verizon could get every company to lock thier bloat on our devices, they would.

I'm actually surprised they didn't find a way to block google maps and navigator, so they could sell more VZ navigator subscriptions.

Odds are Google would have just told them to STFU, and not sell android devices if they tried to muscle them.

Upvote 0
1. I have never purchased a computer without an OS. I have built one without an OS, but the first thing you do is load an OS on it. A computer without an OS is kinda like a paper weight. Kinda like the Droid X that tried to SBF after the 2.2 OTA. No OS means paper weight. Not if we just had the OS image? (2.2 SBF)

2. If you are trying to say that a PC has OS aptions and a phone doesn't, well kinda. That is only because the OS is locked to the device. See the above post about the Vogue. It dual boots (kinda lika a PC).

3. True, a PC doesn't have a monthly service attached (unless of course you want access to the internet. Come to think of it, my last phone (iphone 3G) worked great without the monthly service (unless I wanted the internet of phone usage). Lets face it, todays phones are MUCH more than a phone. The phone is just one of the MANY things it can do. I think my PC can make calls too.

4. Maybe a better way to look at this is not as a PC, but a Mac. A Mac is hardware and software designed and locked together. Does that mean it isn't possible to dual boot? Nope, very possible. Does that mean you can't run Mac OS on a PC? Nope, done that too. Hardware is hardware. If you think the Droid X is clser to a phone than a PC/Mac you do not understand your device. I stand by my parallels. The device needs a restore image and there is NO REASON Motorola shouldn't give it to us. I predict they will be forced (legally or by comsumer pressure) to supply the SBF for all smart phones within a few years.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones