• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Enough with the choices!!!

Merlin2000

Nov 25, 2009
Up until about a year ago, there were very few new and exciting phones coming out. Since Adroid has gained in popularity, the past 6 months have been crazy with new phone choices.

I bought a Droid about a month after it came out (coming from blackberry - major change!)

Now there is the Droid Eris, Incredible, Droid X, etc..

I'm thinking about getting rid of the Droid because it's pretty heavy, and I don't particularly care for the slide out keyboard.

I'm debating if it is worth it or not to sell it now, or wait another month or two and see what's next.

The Droid X looks great, but it's still quite a bit heavier than the iPhone 4G.

I understand that technology changes, it just seems like it has been on a crazy upward bound the past 6 months, pretty soon it's going to stop, and that's when I want to buy a new phone.

So is there anything else planned to come out in the next month or two? Or is it a pretty good time to buy a new phone now?

Boy, competition just sucks for the consumer, doesn't it?
- Competition is ALWAYS better, but it does bring in some annoyances. Like right now, with all these phones coming out.

I'm curious to see what's going to be next. A Droid X that is lighter and has a front facing camera for video calls? I don't see what else they could be thinking of doing right now.

There's only so much that can be done with technology in a given timeframe, it just seems like we're peaking right now.

Maybe I'm the only one with this feeling.

Upvote 0
There's always new devices coming out. One i'm looking forward to is the HTC Vision - a HTC Desire with a full qwerty keyboard. There's also the supposed 1.5ghz Scorpion, with Gingerbread devices due at the end of the year. If you wait for the best device out, you'll never stop waiting - so find one that provides what you need and enjoy.

Upvote 0
-
There's only so much that can be done with technology in a given timeframe, it just seems like we're peaking right now.

They are capable of quite a lot. Compare with the pc world: intel basically dominates the cpu leaving AMD with a slice. Intel can just sit back and relax and bring out new tech on its own terms. But in the smartphone world, intel is nowhere to be found. Instead we have all these ARM licensees: TI, Qualcomm, Samsung hummingbird, nvidia and anyone can get in this game.

Upvote 0
I'm debating if it is worth it or not to sell it now, or wait another month or two and see what's next.
Please see all other "Should I wait? threads.

I understand that technology changes, it just seems like it has been on a crazy upward bound the past 6 months, pretty soon it's going to stop, and that's when I want to buy a new phone.

So is there anything else planned to come out in the next month or two? Or is it a pretty good time to buy a new phone now?
It's not going to stop. Rather than take the standard "consider all options" approach, consider what you want and use that to narrow down the options. It's like buying anything else, really.

Probably not but I don't agree with the assessment. In the fairly near future, there's 4G, dual cores, 2+Ghz, etc. No telling what else is further around the bend.

Upvote 0
you know you dont have to buy every android phone that comes out right?... theres people coming out of contract all the time, so a new devices in the line of a carrier is always good.
Unlike apple, android is used by many mfg's, so its normal to see so many android phone, if android didnt exist the same amounth of phones would come out anyways just with a different os.
I see it this way.. u want a new phone? just grab what availible right now with your carrier, because if you keep waiting for the best phone, u just will end up waiting for ever because something better is always gonna be comming out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones