• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Entry level phone advice.

My sister is considering one of these: 5'' Android 4.0 3G tablet smart phone MTK6575 Cortex A9: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I'm a recent convert to Android myself so don't have much experience with devices, is this a decent phone to start with & are there any potential issues she should consider..?

Thanks.

The best way for us to answer this is to first answer the following:
  1. Where is your sister located?
  2. What is her carrier/perferred carrier (if she is switching)
  3. What is her budget for a device?
  4. What are her device needs?

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Not much memory,and from what I've seen another issue with these unbranded phones is accessories.
For instance many people would look at that phone and think of the Samsung Galaxy Note right...well the cases for the Note won't work with this phone since the Note is 5.3 inches and this unbranded phone is 5 inches. Batteries are the next thing..will she be able to get additional or replacement batteries?
I would check with the Seller to see if they have accessories for this specific phone.
Also what is her budget for a phone?

Upvote 0
A few more considerations would be support should you have a problem. Most resellers shunt that off to the manufacturer. Many times the manufacturer is not reachable with off-brand devices. The other would be upgrades. This most likely won't ever get one.

That said, the reviews on amazon are very positive. Personally I have purchased off brand Android devices and they are fairly decent most of the time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones