Epic 4G freezes/reboots when activating 4GSupport

Last Updated:

1. artmc

artmc Member This Topic's Starter

Hi. I just got my Epic 4G. This is Stock, with only a few apps installed.

I was able to get the 4G to work the first night I had it. Now when I activate the 4G service,
    it tries to connect and then the phone will freeze. It goes to a black screen with the buttons still illuminated. Then the phone will reboot/restart. I get the Unlock screen and a message that the Media is being scanned in the notification field. If I unlock it , it will repeat this cycle after a few seconds.

It works fine under WiFi and 3G. My signal strength is about 4 bars. Battery is @ 92%.
    I only have a few apps installed:

xScope
    ES File Manager *
    ES Security *
    ES Task Manager
    LauncherPro
    Home Switch
    AppBrain App Market *
    Adobe Reader *
    Some shopping apps, and the like.

* = Apps installed before I noticed this occurring.

I am not finding much out there on this specific issue, so any help is appreciated!

* art *

Advertisement
  2. artmc

2 additional things.

I am in Pittsburgh Pa. a 4G coverage area. And I have not done a Hard Rest, yet.

* art *

3. artmc

Okay, looks like a Hard Reset worked! For the time being I'll have to watch and test
    some more.

Lucky for me that I did not have much on the phone yet. :)

* art *

4. vennic

vennic New Member

Summary - I have the EXACT same issue, seems app related and happens when 4G is either trying to connect or disconnect while i have a certain app running.

Details

My Epic 4G has the same issue. As long as I had 4G on, it kept trying to connect and cycling through the freeze up and reboot, exactly like you described. Once I shut off 4G there was no problem.

A hard reset fixed the problem for me as well....until i re-downloaded AlarmDroid, an alarm clock app. This is the only app that I have installed since the reset. I set an alarm for the next morning (the little clock appeared at the top left of my home screen), and as soon as I tried to connect to 4G, the problems started all over again. Concurrently, if I was already connected to 4G and then set an alarm, everything was fine until I tried to shut off my 4G connection (like when trying to connect to wifi) and then the freeze up insued again.

Uninstalled AlarmDroid and no more problems. Reinstalled AlarmDroid and set alarm and problems again. Funny thing, if i just turn off the alarm, its not an issue. Apparently my phone can't serve two masters, both alarms and 4G.