Epic 4G GPS fix on the way?

Last Updated:

1. Durandal

Durandal Member This Topic's Starter

Sep 2, 2010
    According to Engadget, Samsung announced a GPS fix for the Captivate today:

Samsung Captivate gets GPS fix, other Galaxy S versions wait patiently -- Engadget

Given the way the statement is worded, it appears this fix is independent of the Froyo (Android 2.2) release.

This is promising news (assuming, of course, the fix actually works). If it does fix the problem(s), here's hoping the Epic gets the fix soon.

Samsung made an announcement on their Twitter page:

"GPS + other improvements for Samsung ATT Captivate are HERE! Today - next few weeks OTA notification will be sent to customers!"

2. boomerbubba

boomerbubba Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Bear in mind that the Captivate is finally getting some of the underlying GPS improvements that were already baked into the cake of the Epic when it was released. The Captivate and Vibrant were released in late July, and have had much worse GPS problems. Vibrant users are still awaiting a fix to be deployed. (I owned two Vibrants, and at least for now I own an Epic. I have tested the GPS on both extensively.)

The GPS problems on the Epic today seem to be discrete, new bugs introduced in this newer generation of Samsung software. (Verizon Fascinate users may have similar issues.) The Epic issues do remain to be dealt with, but they are more easily worked around in the meantime.