Epic 4G + Launcher Pro = Better than Evo?

Last Updated:

1. DB80NYC

DB80NYC Member This Topic's Starter

While I was considering exchanging my Epic for an Evo after playing with a friends for a while, I have decided to stick with the Epic. My decision comes after installing Launcher Pro on the Epic. All i have to say is WOW!!!!! Sooooo much better than touchwiz, it's not even funny. A am seriously thinking about buying the full version, however i have yet to pay for an app from android and am wondering how the process works. Is it paid for through the market(set up an account type thing) or will it be billed to my carriers bill? I have had many a smartphone and have never before wanter to purhase apps. Had an original iPhone(jailbroke that thing, free apps way before app store actually came to the device) BB Pearl, BB tour, Moto Droid, and then to the Epic. I finally feel like i have a phone i will actually keep for more than 6 months lol and as such, I wanna buy some good apps for it. Any suggestions on paid apps will be appreciated.
    Cheers,
    DB80NYC

Advertisement
  2. razer

razer Active Member

Buy it. It's painless. You can pay for the app directly by paypal or they also have a form to enter credit/debit card information. If you like the app... pony up and support the creator. Look at it this way.... if you met the guy that created Launcher Pro at a bar and he installs the app on your phone.... would you buy him a drink?? Heck yes you would and it would probably cost you $5!!

$2.99 is cheap.

megabiteg likes this.
  3. DB80NYC

DB80NYC Member This Topic's Starter

Ageed, just wanted to know if I had to set up paypal or if i could just use my charge card to purchase it. I would gladly buy the guy a drink as he has done an excellent job in creating this launcher....Samsung should have hired him and fired the touchwiz people!

4. jerbeck24

jerbeck24 Well-Known Member

I agree with the rest of the crew, it is definitely worth it. I never even thought about using TouchWiz, LauncherPro Plus is worth every penny and probably more. The great thing about Android is that if and when you get a new phone, your purchases will all transfer to the new phone (as long as it's an Android phone). LPP is the same way, you just keep your email with your confirmation # and when you switch to a new phone, you download the free LP and in the settings you activate the Plus version using the confirmation # from the email you get from Fede.

5. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

hi...

yes.. you have to pay for this app..via not the normal way..
    this app you purchase outside the market at the developers website. Most apps are all done via the market..purchase and install.

this app.. once your purchase the app. he will send you the code to unlock the full version on your phone. it should still update via the market.

6. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Launcher Pro is pretty sweet, but I wouldn't say the Epic is better than the Evo.

Both Evo and Epic are sweet. Right now my Evo is activated while my Epic is laying on the table in front of me.

7. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

Launcher Pro is so good that I used it even when my phone ran vanilla androids out of the box. Also I do think the Epic had many advantages over the Evo which is why I waited for this.

8. Slick1020

Slick1020 Banned

How many EPIC's have been sold compared to the EVO? You can't find an EVO anywhere, but you can walk to the flea market and find an EPIC. Everyone in my office has an EVO, nobody has an EPIC. You guys must be on something....

9. omgitsspooky

omgitsspooky Well-Known Member

i tried searching for launcher pro but I get a few results. which is the one that everybody's talking about? can't find one that's $2.99 either...

10. burnrub

burnrub Member

actually, the evo's have been sold out because of a parts shortage, not because they are selling faster than the epic.

ijeggert and YDroid like this.
  11. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

A lot of Evo users also prefer the LauncherPro launcher over the Sense launcher. The other popular one is ADW Launcher. This one is built to resemble the stock Android launcher, but it has a ton more features. ADW is open source and free.

Just remember that a custom launcher doesn't replace the native UI. It just runs on top of it. TouchWiz (and Sense on the Evo) are still there. The launcher is just a small component of what TouchWiz and Sense are. The dialer, clock, alarm, lock screen, calendar, etc etc are all TouchWiz and don't go away just because you are running LauncherPro.

12. GrooveRite

GrooveRite Well-Known Member

I'm very satisfied with touchwiz so screw you guys! lol! Hey, I came from a flip phone (samsung A900) so this Epic is my very first smart phone. :)

13. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

@novox

Which is a good thing! I need the touchwiz features associated with the notification bar and pull down. I also like the touchwiz theming as well cause blue is my favorite color. (Love the black notification bar too).

I only wish we had the touchwiz music player and fascinate lock screen.

14. omgitsspooky

I just downloaded LauncherPro and I'm pretty excited in customizing it in the next couple of days. However, I have a quick question. After you open LauncherPro BY DEFAULT, how do you revert back to TouchWiz if you choose to do so?

15. cary328is

cary328is Well-Known Member

I have both the Epic and the Evo. Hands down, in terms of smoothness, speed, and beautiful display - the Epic takes the cake. The EVO, however, has a much much better GPS performance (signal lock in a few seconds to 6 meter accuracy). I'm running launcher pro on both phones although HTC sense, IMO is better than Samsung's TW

16. drewsg

drewsg Well-Known Member

Samsung's Touchwiz absolutely sucks. Sense UI is much better because it has better widgets (Lockscreen music controls, calender, people, friend widgets). Not to mention HTC integrates facebook contact syncing much better.

Samsung really nailed the notification system though.. definitely superior to any phone I've ever used.

17. KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S Well-Known Member

Launcher Pro is amazing! It'll be even better when the dev finishes rewriting the app.

18. jerbeck24

jerbeck24 Well-Known Member

You have to download a app called "Home Switcher". It is free and allows you to switch between the launcherpro, touchwiz, and vanilla launchers.

19. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

Settings > Applications > Manage Applications

Go to launcher pro, and in there, there should be a defaults section. You can turn it off there. Then if you press home, it will give you the choice again.

20. omgitsspooky

sweet, no need to d/l home switcher. thanks!

21. YDroid

YDroid New Member

:D im liking your response! everybody thinks its because of selling! LOL!

22. buggerritt

buggerritt Well-Known Member

The Evo also came out before the Epic. It was the first 4G phone and a lot of people were waiting for a nice big screen 4G phone that had android and a 1Ghz processor. They jumped on it right away. Those who were waiting for same thing but, with a hardware keyboard, held out for the Epic. I am very glad I did. I am much happier with the screen. I have no re3al issues with the phone. I use Launcher Pro, as well. I will continue to do so, until SPB Mobile Shell finally arrives for android. That day will be a monument in mobile history, for me.

23. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

^ SPB mobile shell? Link??? :confused:

24. Slick1020

Slick1020 Banned

Are you EPIC owners blind? Not a single person in my freaking office building has an EPIC. Don't try to twist the facts. If you ask 10 people about an EPIC they will say what is that? Ask people about an EVO and they will ask you if you have one on you and if so, can they buy it off of you. You guys are freaking nuts.

25. omgitsspooky

Since the EVO was the first 4G phone, it got a lot more publicity than the Epic.