• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Epic 4G + Launcher Pro = Better than Evo?

Actually, the person that's nuts is the Evo owner hanging out in the Epic forum just to put down the phone. Just sayin'.
Are you EPIC owners blind? Not a single person in my freaking office building has an EPIC. Don't try to twist the facts. If you ask 10 people about an EPIC they will say what is that? Ask people about an EVO and they will ask you if you have one on you and if so, can they buy it off of you. You guys are freaking nuts.

Reactions: _-Jay-_
Upvote 0
It's not about publicity. When everyone at work played with my EVO they all wanted one. When a friend met up with me in Dallas hotel, she said that she wanted an EVO but couldn't find one. Well, she sent me an IM yesterday and she now has her EVO. I think its funny how some of you say the EPIC is a great phone but there are LOTS of people who have had to take the phone back 4-5 times in conjunction with the wacky GPS on the phone. EVO has Froyo, but the EPIC is still using Android 2.1...LOL.

Upvote 0
And lots of people have had to take back Evos for cracked chargers/power buttons, bad screens, dust under screen, bad OTAs, etc. But seeing as this is not the purpose of THIS thread.... To each their own. My wife has an Evo an loves it (after a few exchanges) and I've got an Epic and love it.... nothing wrong with that.

Slick1020 - if you are here to contribute to coversations, awesome! If you are here to stir the pot and cause problems, I am respectfully requesting that you STOP.

Upvote 0
Just in case anyone is curious about sales figures in regard to the EVO, iPhone 4, and Droid X. But the writer doesn't mention the EPIC.

Still, many analysts have pointed out that Apple needs to make its smartphone more widely available if it expects to compete with devices running Android OS. Models like the Motorola Droid X and HTC EVO 4G have sold very well this year, and all the products running Google's operating system are now outselling the iPhone in the U.S.

NYT: Verizon Getting the Apple iPhone Soon

Upvote 0
I downloaded Launcher Pro last night and i'm loving it! The only thing I dont like is the fact that I cant find that stock application killer. I guess thats a Touch-Wiz Only widget. :(

I thought that too, but if you hold the home key, you get the six latest applications that have ran, but you also get the "Task Manager". That takes to the same place the widget would if you press on it in TouchWiz. I use this to end tasks while running LauncherPro.

Reactions: Seddy
Upvote 0
I thought that too, but if you hold the home key, you get the six latest applications that have ran, but you also get the "Task Manager". That takes to the same place the widget would if you press on it in TouchWiz. I use this to end tasks while running LauncherPro.

I didn't even know that! I knew holding the home key down brought up the latest apps but I didn't even notice the task manager button. And here I was thinking I would have to remove LauncherPro... Thanks!!!!

Upvote 0
Ok, i saw a few replies up there trying to say that the Evo was a better device but i did not see any valid reasons. The larger screen? Yes, it is larger but as far as the image it looks washed out and bland. Sense? Launcher pro corrects any need for sense, granted the widgets are better than TW ones....but still. GPS? Will be corrected and seriously, when i'm driving somewhere i start navigator before i begin the trip if i am going to need it so waiting for a GPS lock does not really bother me. The only reason Sprint advertises the Evo more, is because it is their exclusive device....and because Galaxy S is on every major carrier in the US. Word of mouth will propel this phones' sales alone. I am still very happy with my decision to stick with the epic, and when i do the side by side comparison with my buddies with Evo's in direct sunlight, all i get is "damn D, that **** looks good".

Upvote 0
i installed laucherpro once and deleted it but then reinstalled it and played with at and realized how much better it is than touchwiz so much so that i purchased it so i dont have to use the girly pink purple feeds widget that samsung gave the epic the widget resizing is handy too if theres nething that you can do with the full version somebody tell me i wanna make sure im gettin all my 2.99 worth

Upvote 0
I've had my Epic and Evo for a couple of weeks now, alternating between each phone for 5-6 days at a time, and I also just recently rooted the phones as well.

Right now if I could only keep one phone, it would be the Evo hands down. It's just that damn good. Period.

I still love the Epic, don't get me wrong, but there are just things about it that I don't like as much as the Evo. It's a huge improvement over my Moment, but not so much over the Evo.

Upvote 0
Are you EPIC owners blind? Not a single person in my freaking office building has an EPIC. Don't try to twist the facts. If you ask 10 people about an EPIC they will say what is that? Ask people about an EVO and they will ask you if you have one on you and if so, can they buy it off of you. You guys are freaking nuts.

Dietcoke? Is that you?

Upvote 0
How many EPIC's have been sold compared to the EVO? You can't find an EVO anywhere, but you can walk to the flea market and find an EPIC. Everyone in my office has an EVO, nobody has an EPIC. You guys must be on something....
Epics are selling much much faster, ten to one or more, even with Evo in stock at Sprint stores according to my store guy, and is a flagship store in a major metro.
You can find Evo at any sprint store lately. Initially it had high demand and HTC was unable to get components so there were shortages as it was the first 4g phone.

As far as Launcher Pro it is nice, but after using SPB with several WM phones for the past couple of years I will hold out SPB. Frankly SPB on wM beat the pants of of Android in several ways.

Upvote 0
I've had my Epic and Evo for a couple of weeks now, alternating between each phone for 5-6 days at a time, and I also just recently rooted the phones as well.

Right now if I could only keep one phone, it would be the Evo hands down. It's just that damn good. Period.

I still love the Epic, don't get me wrong, but there are just things about it that I don't like as much as the Evo. It's a huge improvement over my Moment, but not so much over the Evo.

What are these things that you don't like about the epic?

Upvote 0
i acutaully tried this at my office. all i got was a few peeps asking me for how much money i willing to race them for. i guess they though i ment mitsubishi evo:D

Upvote 0

I'm joining your club. The wife got an Epic about 10 days ago and I just bought a used Evo (well, till it's in my hands and activated, potentially bought). Doesn't this thread remind you of every Moment vs Hero thread from last year? The more things change....

Since my wife has the Epic, it's the best hands down and I'm sticking with that story no matter what.

Upvote 0
Epics are selling much much faster, ten to one or more, even with Evo in stock at Sprint stores according to my store guy, and is a flagship store in a major metro.
You can find Evo at any sprint store lately. Initially it had high demand and HTC was unable to get components so there were shortages as it was the first 4g phone.

And the winner is.....Palm Pixi! This is from my neighbors plumbers boyfriends dog (a shitzu!) who is a major player in the sprint/purina organization (a subsidiary of Sheinhardt Wig Company). If you really want to be the shiznit, trade in that !@#$% Evo or Epic on the uber cool Pixi...fool.

Upvote 0
And the winner is.....Palm Pixi! This is from my neighbors plumbers boyfriends dog (a shitzu!) who is a major player in the sprint/purina organization (a subsidiary of Sheinhardt Wig Company). I
I don't get the point of your post. I was just answering a trollish post that, as other posters noted, claimed incorrectly that Evo's HTC industry press reported supply problems were demand issues.

Yeah, and I do have a pal who works for the flagship store in one of the major metros, and it is simply a fact that teh number of peopel asking for Evo has fallen through the floor.

Upvote 0
What are these things that you don't like about the epic?
Here are a few things I can think of off the top of my head:

1) STILL no Froyo. It's October, come on Samsung!! This is remniscent of the Moment... :(

2) applying the latest DI18 updated resulted in hours / days of frustration & wasted time. I got a mysterious BML error when trying to update from the stock DI07 OS. I even wiped the phone, full factory reset, and it still errored out. I tried updating from the SD card instead of OTA, and still no go. Finally I downloaded the entire DI18 ROM (~200MB) from xda and flashed the phone to bring it up to date.

On the Evo the OTA update was a simple one click, one minute affair, compared to the terrible Epic update experience. :mad:

3) GPS sucks. We all know this. Evo's GPS just works, and works damn well.

4) Samsung removed several stock Android widgets. There is no default Android calendar widget!! :mad::mad: This was on the Moment, and I use it quite a bit. Why Touchwiz / Samsung removes it is beyond me!!!

5) screen is a bit loose from keyboard, slides a bit. I guess it's better than the alternative, where it's too tight, and will scratch the keyboard (see other thread in Epic forum).

6) I seem to encounter issues every now and then, trying to download / install apps from the market. It will hang, as if I never tried to download. Only when I turn the wifi on the phone, will the download occur. This has happened several times now that it can become predictable.

7) lack of custom ROMs. EVO has many many ROMs.

8) Samsung calendar is a bit hockey. When you add a new item, it does not go on your Google calendar by default. You have to carefully select the Google calendar option or it will just be a local item on your phone. Stupid!! :rolleyes: I use calendar all the time and this is lame.

9) The phone frequently goes in and out of 3G, along with the associated annoying chime. The Samsung Moment did this a lot too, so this is not a surprise (just like the GPS). :rolleyes:

10) Epic doesn't have a stock voice recorder. I have to download one from the Market. Not a huge deal, but one of those tiny little annoyances.

Things that could be issues on the Evo:

1) possible charging port issue that others are reporting. I have not had issues yet.

2) Sense calendar doesn't let you edit directly like stock calendar, you have to long press calendar items in list view to edit it. Very unintuitive. Why manufactures screw with the stock calendar is beyond me. At least not as annoying as the Epic calendar.

3) no default notes app. Epic has a really nice notes app, even if it doesn't sync online. Android should have a standard notes app! HTC does offer a Notes widget you can download however, I have not tried. A minor annoyance.

4) no Swype. Ironically the Epic with a slide out keyboard has a nice Swype app. I'm using Slide It on the Evo for now though...hope it won't expire.

Both phones are huge leaps forward to the Moment (I got less than a year ago), so it may sounds like there are a lot of complaints, but in reality I am happy as a kid in a candy shop every time I use these phones. Having both and alternating between them is awesome.

Upvote 0
I’ve been using Launcher Pro since last June and love it. I even purchased the Plus version. I used it first on my Moment and now for the last couple of weeks on my Epic. I have only one issue that just started in the last couple of days on my Epic and it also happened for the last month or so that I had the Moment. When I press the home button, I get the pop-up box asking me which home application I want. No matter how many times I check the use as default, I continue to get the pop-up about half the time I click home. I’ve tried clearing the launch by defaults under Manage Applications, but that has not helped. Has anyone else seen this or know how to fix it?

Upvote 0
I’ve been using Launcher Pro since last June and love it. I even purchased the Plus version. I used it first on my Moment and now for the last couple of weeks on my Epic. I have only one issue that just started in the last couple of days on my Epic and it also happened for the last month or so that I had the Moment. When I press the home button, I get the pop-up box asking me which home application I want. No matter how many times I check the use as default, I continue to get the pop-up about half the time I click home. I’ve tried clearing the launch by defaults under Manage Applications, but that has not helped. Has anyone else seen this or know how to fix it?
I've not seen this issue. Try uninstalling Launcher Pro and then re-installing it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones