epic 4g not responding or allowing file transfers? please helpSupport

Last Updated:

1. Yota fan!

Yota fan! Member This Topic's Starter

Ok so first off I'm a convert from the Iphone so forgive my newb-ness on this stuff. I'm also new to this forum, my brother tipped me onto it. This forum seems pretty fun and I'm excited to actually start using my phone more for play and not just calls, txting and internet browsing.

BUT

Right now my phone is acting up horrendously and really frustrating me. When I first got it I had the problems that the PC wouldn't recognize it, after figuring out the driver dilemma with my brothers help it started working, and I have really enjoyed it until now. When I plug in the phone and try to access anything on it it starts having problems. For example the "autoplay" won't pop up but if I go to my computer I will see "drive: F" right there so I will double click to open it. This is where all hell starts to break loose. It will have a green progress bar slowly start going accross the browser bar in "my computer" (I'm using windows 7 ultimate FWIW) like a status loading bar. But this will take forever! Around 10 minutes or more, sometimes less, then it either wont load the device and say error or it will load the device but when I try to click on any of the folders or if I go to media then new, then movies (where I have my video files) and try to cut, paste, or delete any file there it freezes up.

My questions are:
    1-Has anyone else had this problem?
    2-Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this problem?
    3-and if I do have to take it in to the sprint store is there a way to save my apps and settings on my phone so I don't have to re-setup everything when I get it back?

*moderators*
    Sorry if this is in the wrong area I tried to put it where I thought it should go but like I said, I'm new here. Also feel free to move to the correct area.

Thanks for any helps Guys and Gals!

Advertisement
  2. Yota fan!

*BUMP*

Nobody has ever experienced anything like this or has anything to add? :confused:

3. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

When you connect your phone to the computer, can you drag down the notification bar and click something that says "mount" or "mount to PC"?

It sounds like the problem is that your phone is still trying to access the SD card but you want your computer to access it instead.

Yota fan! likes this.
  4. Yota fan!

When I plug the phone in I can select,
    -Charging
    -Mass storage
    -Tethering mode
    I have been selecting mass storage.

When it is already plugged in and I'm attempting to access it via my computer, drive F. I can only select "Select to turn off USB storage mode" on my phone when dragging down the status bar.

Thanks for the reply!

5. Yota fan!

Upon trying to access my phone again via my computer then selecting drive F, It told me
    " F:\ is not accessible.
    The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

Does that help at all?

6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Others have had some success with this problem with other phones by sometimes just trying a different cable (yeah, I know - sounds silly, but it happens) - or trying another computer (driver conflict or that sort of thing).

Don't know if you can try those things or not - fwiw, maybe post your Windows version, it might be helpful for others or trigger some other feedback.

Yota fan! likes this.
  7. Yota fan!

Thanks for the quick reply earlymon, its kinda early right now and that is probably why you didn't see in my first post that I am using windows 7 ultimate(I guess I could have clarrified, it is 32 bit). Thanks for the idea about the different cable and comp. I will ask my bro tomorrow if I can use his epic cable and comp. It seems weird that the cable or comp would be the problem when It worked fine for over a month? :confused:

Thanks again for the suggestions!

EarlyMon likes this.
  8. Kelmar

9. Yota fan!

Well I tried my brothers Epic cord and it worked no problemo! So do I just go to the sprint store and tell them and get a new cord? What do I do from here? Seems like it should be warranty with how new my phone is and how much I paid for this thing.

EarlyMon likes this.
  10. Kelmar

You could try that. You could also try ordering a new cable online from somewhere like monoprice.

EarlyMon likes this.
  11. Yota fan!

12. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

For whatever reasons, the customer reviews on that aren't so great. Search amazon electronics for "usb charger" and "usb charger car" - all you care about is 5V/1A output and the ability to use any correct cable (pinned for data as well as power) - much like the one you chose. In other words, just like here, my 2 cents to is to trust the user reviews on these things.

I noticed that one guy metered one of the poorer-ranked ones and found it out of spec, putting out 6V - that sort of thing + durability is what I'd be looking for.

Sorry I can't recommend something in particular - a spare charger is one of those things I've been getting around to about 6 months...

Yota fan! likes this.