Epic 4g Review Floodgates

Last Updated:

1. kngyn19

kngyn19 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Pretty obvious that the phone was intended for an August 20th release date considering all the sites just got allowed to post their reviews. And boy are there tons of reviews. Glad to tell you kind folks, it looks like this is going to be one killer phone!

Sprint Epic 4G Review: The Best 4G Phone

Sprint Epic 4G Review - SlashGear

Samsung Epic 4G (Sprint) Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Samsung Epic 4G (Sprint) Review - A Review of the Samsung Epic 4G (Sprint)

Epic 4G review -- Engadget

CNET
    http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/samsung-epic-4g-sprint/4505-6454_7-34129371.html

IGN
    http://gear.ign.com/articles/111/1116069p1.html

Review from InfoSync:
    http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/cell-phones/samsung-epic-4g/11289.html

MobileBurn Video Review
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb7rXruVU-M
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezNUJx-Lq_M

Now I'm curious what caused Sprint to push it back to the 31st. Ooooooh, that date cannot come soon enough :D

Advertisement
  2. dietcoke

dietcoke Banned

GPS issues obviously.

3. it.

it. Well-Known Member

Do you have the official sprint documents to backup this statement? lol. We all know you hate galaxy s phones so just give it a rest already. Samsung has already stated there going to issue a GPS fix in September. Also, not all devices out there are having this issue.

4. mas90guru

mas90guru Well-Known Member

Odd that so far the only review which mentions the GPS fail is Engadget. Some of the other reviews read as if they didn't even test the device but took the press release/marketing literature and just quintupled the words.

5. Squiggoth

Squiggoth Well-Known Member

I love dietcoke. At first, he trolled, and I growled and scowled.

Now, he trolls, and I just giggle. It's been happening so long he's turned into a mockery of himself. Just let him do it. It's funny.

6. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

7. SnootchyBoochys

SnootchyBoochys Active Member

So far I've watched/read the Engadget, Gizmodo, and Slashgear reviews and none of them has mentioned anything about an external notification light on the Epic 4G! ! ! .....Does it really exist or not because not having one is a possible deal breaker for me.....Have any of you guys seen any confirmation in the other reviews or Sprint or Samsung literature that confirms the external LED notification light?...Please post a direct link to the material if you have any.....Thanks guys!.....August 31st feels ridiculously far away but these forums will help the time fly by for sure!

8. Othan1

Othan1 Well-Known Member

In the first review, this makes me wonder if they still have the data lock up problem:

"Weirdness addendum I've never seen this happen on any other Android phones, but with the Sprint Epic 4G and the AT&T Captivate, I get constant and repeatable failures when downloading and installing apps from the Marketplace. Downloads would work fine for a few days, and then suddenly fail every single time. Samsung and Google are looking into it, and at the time of this review, haven't gotten back to me with a solution yet. I wouldn't expect this to be an error that goes long before getting fixed (if indeed, other people are seeing it)."

9. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

Nah sounds like what used to happen when you first installed 2.1 on the Moment (on occaision). If it were a true data lock-up it would be self-evident, and they would have listed it as such.

What used to happen after flashing a new version was more of a "market lock-up" where you simply could not get the phone to download stuff from the market or if you could get the download it just refused to install. In the end to fix the problem, you would have to reflash whatever version you were flashing.

10. cary328is

cary328is Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that's Samsung's own version of Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications. I could be wrong but I know that HTC and Samsung have various differences between these settings menus

11. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

Someone in the comments section of Engadget also asked about the notification light and the Engadget reviewer (Chris Z.) responded by saying yes there is a notification light and it can be toggled on and off...

YaBoiD likes this.
  12. Murdermajig

Murdermajig Well-Known Member

Reading the comments on Gizmodo. Jason chen said there was a notification light for the epic 4g

13. mattism78

mattism78 Well-Known Member

The one review video I watched showed it as a Samsung Widget that notifies you of how many programs are currently running. It also doubles as a task killer.

14. taylormah

taylormah Well-Known Member

I read in the reviews that Epic comes with a Task Manager of its own. So it must the task manager that can show what apps are running and you can kill them too. I just love the theme of black background and white text that samsung has put in all of their default applications; and it blends beautifully with the surrounding black bezel. Some video said that is how their save battery life also since the blacks on SAMOLED dont use battery at all.

15. SnootchyBoochys

SnootchyBoochys Active Member

Thanks for the notification light info guys! .....Its great to know that I will be buying a phone that has pretty much everything I need plus a lot of great features I've always wanted!......I just hope I can get my home docking station on day 1 and I will be a very happy Epic 4G owner!

16. badankles

badankles Well-Known Member

interesting...

17. DILands

DILands Well-Known Member Contributor

I BELIEVE (not that I can't be wrong LOL) that it is completely black - because it is completely "off". IF that's true (I'm new to Android), if you can default to a black background with white (or light) text - can get some awesome battery life.

18. badankles

badankles Well-Known Member

i just read the laptop review and they also said the same thing about black. cool.

19. prince eric

prince eric Member

in all theses reviews are they the final product or are they still working on them?

20. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

These are the final products, they are end product packaged and sent from Sprint to the reviewers.

21. 5Strong

5Strong Well-Known Member

Several of the articles seem to hint that the Epic and EVO are basically on par with one another, with each having certain/small advantages. Anyone else second guessing the Epic and considering the EVO?

I Never use a case on my phones and always carry in my front pocket...I'm thinking that the thinner phone might be the better choice.

Never mind...brief moment of insanity. I gotta have the awesome screen for movies!

22. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

Lol

23. crow11ad

crow11ad Well-Known Member

D
    When this happens we must breathe and watch youtube vids of the epic. This will help.

24. dietcoke

dietcoke Banned

25. mattism78

mattism78 Well-Known Member