Epic Battery Life TERRIBLE

Last Updated:

1. sobolol

sobolol New Member This Topic's Starter

I thought the AMOLED screen was supposed to be energy efficient? Yet I am seeing people post to dim the brightness and use airplane mode to conserve battery life. Why have this phone? I have to keep mine plugged in all day and then when taken off charge it goes down so fast that I cant use it much.

Is there a solution to this coming? Ive had my phone for 3 days and am thinking of getting rid of it. I need a phone that can be off charger.

Any info or opinions are appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Frustrated

Advertisement
  2. antmon

antmon Well-Known Member

i'm going to echo what's been said a bunch of times before already.... yes, i too would love to use every capability of the phone 24x7 and have it last me more than a day but it's just the nature of smartphones....battery life is not there yet and it should be, considering we really have tiny laptops in our hands now and not just cell phones....

with some minor tweaking, you can increase the battery life...here are some things that have worked for me:

- try juice defender free download from the market
    - set your brightness to auto adjust or just drop it down to whatever is comfortable enough for you
    - if you don't always need it running, turn off 4g, gps and wifi
    - select power saving mode
    - set screen timeout to 15 or 30 seconds
    - set keyboard timeout to match the screen's
    - turn off haptic feedbac
    - don't use live wallpapers
    - if you use the dolphin hd browser, download and use the screen dimmer addon
    - try using some darker/black wallpapers
    - what widgets do you really need to be constantly updated? (i.e. weather, facebook, feeds, etc)

there's prob others that can help.

good luck.

3. bdforte69

bdforte69 Well-Known Member

It is more energy efficient than an LCD screen. All of the new smartphones with 3.5+ inch displays are battery hogs. If you would read the threads under the "Tips and Tricks" section, you will see that people suggest toggling things on/off as you need them to greatly extend battery life. It doesn't mean you can't use your new device and that it's worthless! Just turn features on and off as you need them. It's not complicated and works well.

If your device literally goes dead within an hour of unplugging it, then you need to stop looking at this forum and return it immediately! Using the tips found on this very forum, I easily get 15 hours of battery life. I don't have to give up ANY features to do so. I use the phone how I want, when I want.

Just don't be a tool. If you can't accept the fact that super phones like the EPIC don't get great battery life, then go back to a Blackberry that lasts 2 days on one charge with a tiny little screen and no real apps.

4. infamousjax

infamousjax Well-Known Member

Actually.. Super AMOLED's power efficieny comes in when the screen is black, because a completely black screen does not use any power. However, if the screen is showing white or other bright colors, it uses up to 3 times more than the standard LCD. So, try and use a dark background... download the rare black wallpaper app and you can find some good ones.

5. duratime

duratime Well-Known Member

I was off charger yesterday 17 hours and still at 40%, and that was with 3 hours being in an area where there was bad coverage and it made that annoying beep every couple of minutes. The battery is better than my rooted Moment's

6. Keybeeetsss

Keybeeetsss Well-Known Member

Yeah I finally got to 18hrs yesterday; normally 12 is my average tho...

7. gme109

gme109 Well-Known Member

I think you misunderstood what others were saying about airplane mode.

The airplane mode trick to conserve battery is as such.

After your phone has been booted up, toggle in and out of airplane mode.
    This helps keep your phone from searching for a signal 50% of the time while in standby mode. This is a bug, and hopefully Samsung will address it with a software update.

8. heavychevy

heavychevy Well-Known Member

Have you tried turning off the GPS, 4g and Bluetooth radios if you are not using them? Also switching to CDMA auto helps. Turning off the "vibrate when anything happens" features (like typing, haptic feedback etc.) helps too.

The battery life is normal for a a phone with this much power. The charging taking forever is not so normal. Sucks to take longer to charge the phone than it does for the battery life to run out. Reminds me of remote control cars back in the day, play with them for 30 minutes, charge for 6 hours.

BTW turning the phone off while charging not only allows it to charge much faster (though still slow), but with slightly more juice.

Oh yeah and as mentioned before, don't allow everything to update every thirty minutes. In fact, if you don't look at it, don't allow it to update at all (news, facebook and others are ones I don't use).

9. mojomojo

mojomojo Well-Known Member

Turn off email polling ,if you dont need it.
    I have my screen full bright and my battery is lasting 15-18 hours.
    Takes a few weeks before battery realizes full potential.
    Ive noticed this on every new phone Ive gotten.

10. exBBuser

exBBuser Well-Known Member

The solution is called 3200MAh battery and is already in the works,once Seido is done with this process you should see them on ebay for $9-12 with the battery door.That will fix all your battery issues.My Evo with a 3500mah battery is been unplugged for 18hrs been streaming pandora all day with some txt web browsing and some phone calls and I'm down to 18% this is day one with this battery so it should get better by the 3rd or 4th charge.

O and its the Chinese one from ebay not a Seidio.

11. iBleedBlackNgold

iBleedBlackNgold Well-Known Member

what apps have u dl ? while every1 loves apps & many are needed, many will suck ur battery dry

12. gme109

gme109 Well-Known Member

What do you mean by battery door? I'd imagine that a 3200mah battery will not fit in the Epic, so do you need a special back with a door, to allow for the larger battery?

13. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

Where can I find this app?

14. SamsungVibrant

SamsungVibrant Well-Known Member

you guys can also buy the verizon extended battery with included battery door, i dont see why the battery shouldn't work, however the battery door cover may not fit on the epic.

15. cswee10582

cswee10582 Well-Known Member

I just picked up my Epic 4 days ago, this morning I unplugged it at 2:30 a.m. before work, it's now 7:35 p.m. and I have 43% left. I'll take that!!

My Hero, even with a custom ROM still had a little bit more, but compared to my Hero, the Epic FLIES!

Just my experience...

Chris

16. exBBuser

exBBuser Well-Known Member

Im guessing so,thats the way the Evo is.