• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Epic cases...Any advice?

While I hope that none of these manufacturers would miss the obvious...

It is not absolutely clear that there is a slot in these cases for the keyboard.

I stared at these pictures for a while, and I'm not certain I see a slot for the keyboard.

BLACK Rubberized Phone Cover Hard Case SAMSUNG EPIC 4G - eBay (item 400144912278 end time Sep-16-10 09:09:36 PDT)

These come in two pieces. The bottom piece cover the keyboard bottom, and the top piece covers the top.

I can confirm that it's 2 pieces. I ordered the red rubberized version for the person that's going to be using the Epic on my account. Paw Avenue is a VERY reputable seller on ebay. There are a ton of people that purchased from them for the EVO's and they make good quality products.

Upvote 0
I got a hard 2 piece plastic case from Radio Shack (can't remember the name) by using a $15 of $60 purchase coupon from the Entertainment book (can't use it on the phone but it can be used towards the case) which cost me $0 (only had to pay tax) since the case was $15. It fits perfectly over the phone, does not block any of the screen's edges, and does not hinder the slider mechanism. It doesn't really add that much bulk (and I'm used to using an old BB 8903 for the last 4 years LOL and they are almost the same height with the BB out of the holster) or weight to the Epic.

Since some people were complaining about the Epic not having a kickstand like the EVO, I was wondering if there is a case that has a kickstand built into it?

Upvote 0
I got a hard 2 piece plastic case from Radio Shack (can't remember the name) by using a $15 of $60 purchase coupon from the Entertainment book (can't use it on the phone but it can be used towards the case) which cost me $0 (only had to pay tax) since the case was $15. It fits perfectly over the phone, does not block any of the screen's edges, and does not hinder the slider mechanism. It doesn't really add that much bulk (and I'm used to using an old BB 8903 for the last 4 years LOL and they are almost the same height with the BB out of the holster) or weight to the Epic.

Since some people were complaining about the Epic not having a kickstand like the EVO, I was wondering if there is a case that has a kickstand built into it?

Don't know if you read this.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-epic-4g/164079-warning-epic-4g-bevele-bent.html

I bought an Epic 4G from the shack and I bought a 15 dollar case...dont buy the case that is 15 bucks and by a brand that I dont even know. It bent the plastic piece up on my phone and I had to snap it back in place, Now it is loose where it was up. Im going to be buying another case from best buy and returning this one to radio shack. Kinda irritated and annoyed.

Upvote 0
I prefer a simple, soft fabric sleeve to store the phone in when I am not using it, and protect it in my pocket. (Don't care for attached cases -- hard, gel or otherwise.)

My G1 had such a case, and it happened to fit my Vibrant. But it will be too snug for the Epic.

Right now I am looking for a microfiber pouch of some kind. I've seen them for iPhones, but they would probably not fit.

Upvote 0
Don't know if you read this.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-epic-4g/164079-warning-epic-4g-bevele-bent.html

I bought an Epic 4G from the shack and I bought a 15 dollar case...dont buy the case that is 15 bucks and by a brand that I dont even know. It bent the plastic piece up on my phone and I had to snap it back in place, Now it is loose where it was up. Im going to be buying another case from best buy and returning this one to radio shack. Kinda irritated and annoyed.

Can you elaborate on what piece specifically you're referring too?

And I think it's hit or miss with those cases -- I have one as well -- they're not made well, so there seem to be manufacturing inconsistencies which may be why some people have problems and others don't. I'm probably going to return mine after I get my skinomi skin and the plethora of not-so-awful-but-cheap cases hit the web.

Upvote 0
I bought a rubberized case from Sprint when I got the phone. It was $19.99.

I can access all buttons, and it does not interfere with the screen, camera, LED, speaker, or access to headphone or usb connections. There is no problem at all opening or closing the slide out keyboard. The one issue that I have is that the Epic will not fit into the docking station with the cover on the unit.

Too bad. So close to everything that I wanted. I am going to return the docking station since damage prevention is my priority.

Upvote 0
I bought a rubberized case from Sprint when I got the phone. It was $19.99.

I can access all buttons, and it does not interfere with the screen, camera, LED, speaker, or access to headphone or usb connections. There is no problem at all opening or closing the slide out keyboard. The one issue that I have is that the Epic will not fit into the docking station with the cover on the unit.

Too bad. So close to everything that I wanted. I am going to return the docking station since damage prevention is my priority.

The problem I have with the form fitting cases is, the phone becomes to large to put in my jeans pocket. So I decided to go with a belt clip pouch. I found one by Ultra, that allows you to flip the back of the case open, and view the screen when its still in the pouch.

Upvote 0
The only company that might make a dock specific to a cased phone is Seidio. Nobody else will go through the effort. ProClip's adjustable holder does the trick, but there's no power options outside of just using a stick on cable guide to keep a cord handy. And if it's a home dock, it gets pricey if you buying their desktop stand for it. You're looking around the $70 mark. Though you would get portrait and landscape capability. Matched up with a left angle usb cable it would look nice. Just pricey.

Upvote 0
The best combo for me: Sprint black case with silicone inlay + Platinum belt clip.

The Platinum belt clip also comes with the case, but i am not using it because i prefer the Sprint case. In fact, i have listed the Platinum case on ebay (start at $5)...search for "Platinum Case for Samsung Epic"

The combo above works perfectly...yes, you have to pay for two things, but it provides a good snug fit, at the same time allows for quick easy access to my phone.

Upvote 0
I enojy the seidio innocase for my epic the most, it has a great feel and fit. However i have owned the case from sprint which is a great case as well, i just dont really enjoy the back checkboard look of it... I had the zagg shield on the phone but i feel with the screen cover from sprint and the innocase there is no need for it....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones