• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Epic is giving me a Wrong Location

Adlebo

Sep 5, 2010
I'm having a major problem and would appreciate any help I can get. My phone started giving me a wrong location. I'm located in Brooklyn NY and my Fancy Widget is giving my location as Carolina PR (Puerto Rico!). When I checked Weather Bug it also recognized me as I'm in Puerto Rico. I have "Use Wireless Networks" checked and not GPS.
So what in the world is going on? I tried restarting, airplane mode, but nothing helps! Does this mean that Sprint thinks I'm in Puerto rico now and are they gonna charge me long distance fees?!? Can this be some sort of "virus" from an app I download? What do I do? :-(

Sprint doesn't use the phones gps location for billing, so you're safe there. Are you using wifi when this happens or connecting to a femtocell like an Airave? These can greatly affect location. Try going outside and using gps (avoid the ice storm), you should return to Brooklyn. I live in Merrick, but when connected to my airave my phone thinks it's in a cemetery in Middle Village.

Upvote 0
Thanks for answering. I'm not on wifi or that other connection. I'm just using good old 3g. I tried using GPS and Fancy Widgets did recognize me in Brooklyn. But as soon as I went indoors and the phone refreshed, I was right back in warm 80 degrees Puerto Rico. Even Google maps (through network location) locates me in PR. Any way to fix?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones