Epic or Evo - Call Quality

Last Updated:

1. Neptune5k

Neptune5k Member This Topic's Starter

So I've been on the fence regarding the Epic or Evo for awhile now and have been going back and forth. Overall, I think the specs of the Epic win-out but the support (both HTC and community) for Evo is far superior.

All of the debates about hardware and I havn't been able to find any real comparison regarding call quality. Since I actually plan to talk on the phone, what do those of you have one or the other or both have to say about sound/call quality? Ultimately, I think this will be the most important factor in my decision.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

I have both. Call quality is the same from what I can tell.

3. Thai

Thai Banned

I compared them side by side at Sprint store with me calling my wife on each. Call clarity is better on Epic.

4. Neptune5k

Thanks for the feedback. I keep going back to the Epic, this is reassuring. :)

5. RTan

RTan Well-Known Member

The signal strength from EVO is better than EPIC. You should factor this into your equation as well. It will affect your voice call in general.

6. swanysto

swanysto Well-Known Member

Where are you located? I am located in a big city. Call quality is crystal clear at all times, never knew it could be so good till I got the epic. I got the epic cause the girl said I would not be disappointed. Can't talk for the Evo, might be the same, but I can't see it(or hear it I guess) being better.

7. Neptune5k

I'm in Cincinnati. We have 4G service downtown and we'll be getting it throughout in January so signal strength should be pretty good.

8. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

+1

9. Flaspeneer

Flaspeneer Well-Known Member

I recall the Evo's reception and strength being superior to the Epic's, but that was close to the Epic's launch, long before 4G's official debut.

It comes down to which matters more to you, better hardware or a smoother more problem-free experience. If you're entering Android territory because of the OS, then you're probably a geek like me who craves versatility. If not, and you're coming from an iPhone, then you'll appreciate the Evo's UI polish.

10. aznmode

aznmode Well-Known Member

Evo's mic is more sensitive and picks up more background noise however since it does, I can normally hold the phone further away from me in particular when I'm driving. I have the phone on my lap and I can still be heard. I can't do this on the Epic since I cant have the phone more than 12 inches away otherwise I can't be heard. But regular phone usage they are pretty much the same...atleast that's what my gf says when I did some tests with her.

11. anda24

anda24 New Member

I tried the Evo for 3 weeks, then switched to Epic. For me the sound quality on calls for Epic was much clearer and true to life. Also feel that Epic has better speaker capability. Check out video samples on-line to gather idea on sound quality- as i think they use the same microphones to capture sounds.

12. batgeek

batgeek Banned

ditto

13. Puddin422

Puddin422 Well-Known Member

I think call quality is great on Epic, but voicemail quality is not!

14. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

They are comparable. This should not be a deciding factor between the phones.

15. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

Sound quality is about the same on both phones but the evo gets better signal strength in lower coverage areas. Better signal strength translates to superior battery life spotty coverage areas too...

16. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Very true!

This, of course, will vary by phone. I often find my Epic having signal when the Evo does not. There are also times, however, when the situation is reversed. Makes absolutely zero sense to me why it's that way though.

Why can't we just have great signal everywhere! :)

17. ovrrdrive

I don't know... I've been using Samsung phones for years and they have always had weak radios in them from what I've seen. When our epic displayed the same behavior I just assumed it was the same as the others I have had. My evo consistently gets network and data signal where the epic doesn't...

18. Slovak

Slovak Well-Known Member

They both sound the same to me when someone is talking to me, but my fiancee says I sound way better to her on the Epic than the Evo. So my vote goes for the Epic for call quality.

19. knivesout

knivesout Well-Known Member

I have the Evo, wife has the Epic. She complains that with the Epic, her cheek hangs up calls, mutes them, puts them on speaker, etc. I wonder if it's because she rests it on her shoulder at times and the phone thinks she's pulled it down from her ear. I never have this problem with the Evo.

20. TheRoot

TheRoot Active Member

It must be user. I have never had a call disconnect in that fashion. I'm sure they're both pretty fantastic in quality. For me it came down to screen and keyboard. I knew I would kick myself if I got an evo and the epic then got froyo and became a powerhouse.

21. ovrrdrive

I've had that problem with my evo... I solved it by using a bt headset, turning off the screen and putting the evo in my front pocket.

22. knivesout

knivesout Well-Known Member

You guys and your wacky shoulder holds!