• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Upvote 0
like i said... it was released outside usa.. with gorilla glass.
I have not seen .. an official documentation ... that confirms it in USA. Some have said that it dont.

I read a theory.. EPIC dont have to offset the cost of 4G radio.

Where did you find info to say otherwise?? If gorilla glass is on ALL Samsung S phones, then why would it not be on USA-only phones??

Upvote 0
Well I played with both devices and I really felt like i would like the Evo better and I was glad I made the decision. The huge screen which IMHO still looks gorgeous is wonderful to use and type with it. With the Evo's speedy performance there's virtually no lag when typing on-screen. The came quality is jot as good as the Epic but I've shit some decent pictures and videos so far with my Evo (shot a real good video of my fiance today (-: ). It's just a better fit for me, but im just glad Sprint has a device that is just as high quality as the Evo.

Upvote 0
There is a lot of personal preference that will play into this decision.

I have the Epic, and love it. My wife has the Evo loves it.

I personally don't think you could go wrong with either device, but you'll have to go to the store and play with both.

Here are some things I've noticed:

Battery life on the Epic is better than the Evo.
Evo screen is bigger, Epic's screen is more vivid. Both are big.

From a personal preference standpiont...
I was worried that I wouldn't like TouchWiz (having come from stock android on the Moment), but it's clean, smooth, and doesn't get in the way. The Sense UI on the Evo is nice too. Very smooth, and also well designed. I personally prefer TouchWiz, but my wife prefers Sense. You'll have to decide what you like. There are also other home screen replacement apps that you can check out if you don't like either.

The keyboard... I like physical keyboards. They keyboard was the biggest reason I got the Moment instead of the Hero, and the Epic instead of the Evo. My wife on the other hand couldn't care less about the keyboard. She finds the on-screen touch keyboard to be just fine.

I'm sure others will add to the thread... this is just a few things off the top of my head.

-SF

Reactions: Eazail70x7
Upvote 0
I have the Epic, and love it. My wife has the Evo loves it.
Here are some things I've noticed:

Battery life on the Epic is better than the Evo.
Evo screen is bigger, Epic's screen is more vivid. Both are big.

hehe... I agree that both are good phones- I also have the epic and my wife has the evo. The battery life on our evo is way better than the battery life on our epic. Like lasts 2x as long.

... I personally prefer TouchWiz, but my wife prefers Sense.
The keyboard... I like physical keyboards. They keyboard was the biggest reason I got the Moment instead of the Hero, and the Epic instead of the Evo. My wife on the other hand couldn't care less about the keyboard. She finds the on-screen touch keyboard to be just fine.

I prefer sense. I also prefer having a physical keyboard (don't use it much, but on long messages, I bust it out and it's nice to have). And Swype is much better than the HTC keyboard.

If I were getting myself a new phone today, I'd go with the evo because of the battery life, sense, and 2.2 (it is nice to have flash 10.1 available). I'd get swype for it though.

Your mileage will vary- what's important to you?

Upvote 0
hehe... I agree that both are good phones- I also have the epic and my wife has the evo. The battery life on our evo is way better than the battery life on our epic. Like lasts 2x as long.

Interesting!

I can take my Epic off the charger at 8:00am, and still have battery left when I put it back on the charger at around midnight.

My wife has to plug her Evo in at work during the day. She doesn't stand a chance of making it through a full day on a charge.

Out of curiosity, which Epic firmware are you running? are you running the latest Epic firmware (DI18)? The previous update (the number escapes me right now) introduced some pretty serious battery issues that they fixed in the most recent one.

-MG

Upvote 0
I have a felling that your wife doesn't use her phone the same way that you do.I got 25 hours the other day with a lot of use on Epic.

I prefer sense. I also prefer having a physical keyboard (don't use it much, but on long messages, I bust it out and it's nice to have). And Swype is much better than the HTC keyboard.

If I were getting myself a new phone today, I'd go with the evo because of the battery life, sense, and 2.2 (it is nice to have flash 10.1 available). I'd get swype for it though.

Your mileage will vary- what's important to you?

Upvote 0
Don't forget that you actually SEE more of the screen (no on screen keyboard) with an Epic than Evo using the hardware keyboard. Battery life is better too with comparable programs running.

X2. In every comparo by editors, epic matches or slightly betters evo with battery life. For texting, it is invaluable to be able to see the previous message while typing a response.

Did I say how much I love Gorilla glass?!

Upvote 0
Just consider these

Evo on left Epic on the right

All touchscreen or keyboard and touchscreen?
Screen size or quality?
Sense or Touchwiz?
HTC or Samsung?
$200 or $250?

If you are just an average user, then ignore all the talk about the hummingbird processor and snapdragon being outdated and the Epic having better gpu. All that is just android competition, and yes, the hummingbird is faster since it is a 45nm chip and the epic does have a better gpu, but in all honesty, you won't notice these things day to day. Focus on those main points and your decision will be clear. :D

Also, if it matters, The Evo had HDMI out and a kickstand where as the Epic has DNLA output. The evo also has a higher resolution front facing camera (1.3 mp vs the Epic's 0.3)

Upvote 0
Well, if you ask this in the Epic forum, we'll likely tell you the Epic is better (in our opinion). Ask it in the Evo forum, they'll tell you the Evo is better (in their opinion).

BOTH phones are awesome! My wife, like a few above, has the Evo while I have an Epic. I personally was convinced I wanted the Evo until it actually came time to upgrade when I said to myself "I know I won't get it, but I have to at least check it out...." Sure enough, I ended up preferring the Epic over the Evo.

Touchwiz vs Sense
Physical keyboard vs No Physical Keyboard
4" screen vs 4.3" screen
Samsung vs HTC (this one IMO shouldn't be the deciding factor but to each their own) :)
Eclair (with Froyo in the future) vs Froyo NOW
DLNA vs HDMI

... most everything is going to be a toss-up. 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

We can all nitpick over the fine and gritty details all day long and say what WE like or don't like.

The best thing, IMO, that YOU can do is go play with both for a while!!! Find the phone that's best for YOU!

Upvote 0
Interesting!

I can take my Epic off the charger at 8:00am, and still have battery left when I put it back on the charger at around midnight.

My wife has to plug her Evo in at work during the day. She doesn't stand a chance of making it through a full day on a charge.

We're off the charger by 6am most mornings, and when my wife gets home at 8pm she'll usually have about 50% left. I'm usually done (as in totally out, phone turned itself off) by 7pm if I don't charge during the day.

This Saturday, we both had very light use- essentially standby all day(she was in a concert, I was working back stage, then we went out afterwards). My phone was dead, out of juice after about 18 hours. She didn't charge that night, and the next morning, at 24 hours without charge, she had 55% left.

Out of curiosity, which Epic firmware are you running? are you running the latest Epic firmware (DI18)? The previous update (the number escapes me right now) introduced some pretty serious battery issues that they fixed in the most recent one.

I'm on DI18. It did improve it- I'd be done before 5pm before the update. And it WAS really good for a while, but is somehow regressing...

http://androidforums.com/samsung-ep...-issues-after-sept-16-update.html#post1674192

http://androidforums.com/samsung-ep...-issues-after-sept-16-update.html#post1692016

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones