ePub conversion tricks

Last Updated:

1. jgreetham

jgreetham Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

I know that any format conversion sometimes (or most of the time) produces less than desirable results. So what are some tips for converting from text files to ePub format? For example, the best way to get chapters identified so they show up in a table of contents?

Thanks,
    Jim

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

What software are you using? What app are you viewing them on?

I would suggest converting with Calibre and using Aldiko to view them, I do that and they come out perfectly.

3. jgreetham

jgreetham Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am using Calibre to do the conversion. And since no one else is venturing any suggestions, here's my technique.

I save the text file to a M$ Word doc. Then I change the title to Title, the author's name to Subtitle and each chapter title to Heading 1. If the book has sections then chapters I'd use Heading 1 for the section titles & Heading 2 for the chapter titles. Similarly for the title, subtitle, etc. changing the fonts as appropriate. Then I create a TOC.

One of the things which doesn't always come out right is the text of the chapters. Sometimes the lines seem to have CR at unnecessary places. Any tricks to pull those lines together into good paragraphs? i.e. a setting in the conversion which would make this come out better?

Cheers,
    Jim