• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Equalizer My Ears

There's nothing on Android so far that allows for this... there was one music player but it ended up sucking, and crashing your phone, so it was a failure to put it quite frankly. At this point though, I think that would be the only way for an EQ to implemented seeing as all the sounds are more or less run through the phone... if an EQ were thrown in it'd mess with ringtones, notifications, everything as well as media volume. For now, it seems like a music specific application that streams music or one that converts music in real-time off your SD card is the only way.

Upvote 0
You don't have to have a an EQ when you have good pair of headphones. Of course, a good pair of headphones are not cheap...
And what about the people who listen to tunes while jogging or biking? How am I gonna fit a pair of Koss earcup headphones under my bike helmet? Or what about the people who listen to tunes at work? How are they gonna hear their phone ringing if they're wearing those fancy over-the-ear cups? And what about the people who suffer from any particular degree of hearing loss? How are they gonna adjust the frequency response to a profile that's acceptable to them without an equalizer? The finest headphones in the world won't give them what they need...an equalizer is exactly what they need.

Sitting at home in the BarcaLounger with a high-dollar set of audiophile headphones is not how you're gonna find most people listening to tunes on their Hero...they're most probably gonna be on-the-go, just trying to get in a few tunes any way they can.

If you do own a high-dollar set of audiophile headphones, and you do sit at home in the BarcaLounger listening to music on your cellphone, then IMO your priorities are all wrong, dude. Sorry, but your (paraphrased) statement "if you have a perfect pair of headphones with a perfectly flat frequency response, and if you have perfect hearing, then you wouldn't need an equalizer" is rather lame, because the perfect pair of headphones doesn't exist, and no one has perfect hearing, and few people are sitting perfectly still and solely focused on the music while they're listening to any portable music source.

Upvote 0
Not all earphones have to over the ear to sound amazing. Skull candy (aside from Ink'd ones) earbuds sound great. The Titans I have sound just as good as the full metal jacket ones I had before... it's got all the bass, and they don't crap out when bass hits. They have nice highs, good mids and nice lows. As far as hearing loss, I have like... 20% or something (4 or 5 sets of tubes as a kid, can't remember because I had to be knocked out) hearing loss. As far as sound quality goes for me, I generally have to have sounds up a little higher than most, but not much. For my sound preference, I like to have the high end and the low end be slightly more dominant than the mids. That's just me, but it's different from everyone.

Upvote 0
Advantage iphone.

Well not really... iPhone, iTouch doesn't make a bad file sound any better, as you said with the headphones.

As with all AUDIO, Garbage in = Garbage out.

That said... I can honestly say, even without a decent pair of headphones and/or while mounted to my car stereo, I get great audio from the Hero. That may be due to the FILES I have (all 250 kbps or higher MP3's). I can see the need for an EQ, but that ultimately may not fix your problem ;)

I use MixZing for playing music on my Hero, it's cool.
Anyway, just my 2 cents...

:cool:

Upvote 0
And what about the people who listen to tunes while jogging or biking? How am I gonna fit a pair of Koss earcup headphones under my bike helmet? Or what about the people who listen to tunes at work? How are they gonna hear their phone ringing if they're wearing those fancy over-the-ear cups? And what about the people who suffer from any particular degree of hearing loss? How are they gonna adjust the frequency response to a profile that's acceptable to them without an equalizer? The finest headphones in the world won't give them what they need...an equalizer is exactly what they need.

Sitting at home in the BarcaLounger with a high-dollar set of audiophile headphones is not how you're gonna find most people listening to tunes on their Hero...they're most probably gonna be on-the-go, just trying to get in a few tunes any way they can.

If you do own a high-dollar set of audiophile headphones, and you do sit at home in the BarcaLounger listening to music on your cellphone, then IMO your priorities are all wrong, dude. Sorry, but your (paraphrased) statement "if you have a perfect pair of headphones with a perfectly flat frequency response, and if you have perfect hearing, then you wouldn't need an equalizer" is rather lame, because the perfect pair of headphones doesn't exist, and no one has perfect hearing, and few people are sitting perfectly still and solely focused on the music while they're listening to any portable music source.

Well, that's very much your own opinion, but not all good headphones have to be earcup like you prolly are thinking, but I do own a pair of Sony earbuds, good for jogging and running and all that sheez, I usually use them when I walk/ride my bike to school, and the sound quality is really good and I can't complain about them. They were not as cheap the ones you find on Ebay but they weren't hella expensive either... I really don't feel the need to find an EQ for my phone as of now.

The other day I tried getting another pair of headphones that were supposed to be compatible with my Hero, and the sound was extremely awful... that's when I thought that an EQ would come in handy to keep those headphones since I didn't want to return them, but that kind of apps don't exist, and even if they did, they would just take more memory in my phone... so I went back to my other pair of headphones. Sure they might not be perfect, but only because the mic for some reason is not compatible with the Hero, but the Hero still recognizes it, weird I know, but other than that, the sound is still pretty good and no, I don't have hearing issues... If you do, then I guess, you can always hope to find an EQ :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones