• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Eris All things ROOT THREAD: Apps and ROMS Updated 05/06/2010

Step one:
Put hboot.nb0 and recovery.img in the tools dir of your sdk.
Put downgrade.zip on the sdcard of your phone

How do I add hboot.nb0 and recovery.img in the "tools dir of my sdk"? And I can put downgrade.zip onto the sdcard of my phone by simply dragging it into the folder that opens up when I sync my phone to my computer right?

Upvote 0
Step one:

How do I add hboot.nb0 and recovery.img in the "tools dir of my sdk"? And I can put downgrade.zip onto the sdcard of my phone by simply dragging it into the folder that opens up when I sync my phone to my computer right?

When you install the SDK, it creates a directory for itself on your computer, and it also creates a subdirectory under that called "Tools". (Assuming that you are using Windows, use Explorer to find that Tools directory and move (or copy) that file hboot.nb0 to that directory. (I believe that the directory is called C:\android-sdk-windows\tools but I am not a Windows user so perhaps it is different.)

Upvote 0
Step one:

When you install the SDK, it creates a directory for itself on your computer, and it also creates a subdirectory under that called "Tools". (Assuming that you are using Windows, use Explorer to find that Tools directory and move (or copy) that file hboot.nb0 to that directory. (I believe that the directory is called C:\android-sdk-windows\tools but I am not a Windows user so perhaps it is different.)

doogald, we'll make a Windows guy out of you yet! :D (you are absolutely correct about the Windows path you quoted above).

But it really sounds like myom wants to "un-root"...is the correct, myom? (I saw this post last night, but my brain was mush from staying up too late (I blame the time change :p)).

If so, there's a better way to do this: [ROM][10/20/2010]FlashBack21 v1 -Return to Factory Stock - UPDATED - xda-developers

Cheers!

Upvote 0
doogald, we'll make a Windows guy out of you yet! :D (you are absolutely correct about the Windows path you quoted above).

I should say that I am not a Windows user anymore. I bought Windows 1.01 the day it was released and used Windows (or DOS and Windows before NT and 95) exclusively (though I used OS/2 for a while at work, and managed Banyan, Netware, and Linux servers as well) for 20 years until I bought my first Mac in January 2007. I occasionally boot up Windows but it's not a daily driver anymore, that's for sure. I've actually used, at some point, every version of DOS and Windows released in the US (except the latest Server 2008) since PC DOS 2.1, and that includes Windows ME. Unfortunately.

Upvote 0
I should say that I am not a Windows user anymore. I bought Windows 1.01 the day it was released and used Windows (or DOS and Windows before NT and 95) exclusively (though I used OS/2 for a while at work, and managed Banyan, Netware, and Linux servers as well) for 20 years until I bought my first Mac in January 2007. I occasionally boot up Windows but it's not a daily driver anymore, that's for sure. I've actually used, at some point, every version of DOS and Windows released in the US (except the latest Server 2008) since PC DOS 2.1, and that includes Windows ME. Unfortunately.

Lol! I remember DR/DOS and CP/M...I actually bought a Kaypro '84 (5.25 inch floppy drives) for $1,100 just to play Zork on :)eek:)--I loved that game...(I got hooked on Adventure at work which led me to Zork). My Kaypro has a Z-80A chip in it, running at 2.5 MHz (I believe)...someone gave me a Z-80B CPU to "upgrade" it to run at 4.0 MHz (wow!), but I never installed it...:p

I've had no trouble navigating around in Ubuntu the last couple of weeks since I use AIX Unix every day... My daughter's the one with the Mac in our family...she absolutely loves it!

Upvote 0

But it really sounds like myom wants to "un-root"...is the correct, myom? (I saw this post last night, but my brain was mush from staying up too late (I blame the time change :p)).

If so, there's a better way to do this: [ROM][10/20/2010]FlashBack21 v1 -Return to Factory Stock - UPDATED - xda-developers

Cheers!

Yes I'd like to "un-root," because I'm getting the scrolling to the left trackball issue which causes major lag D: Unfortunately I'll have to try to get myself a replacement when I get back home from college.

Thanks for the link!

Upvote 0
People, I have a big problem. I had my Eris with rooted 2.2 running okay until someone suggested I take it to a store over the busted trackball. They gave me a replacement phone with 2.1 preinstalled, and I can't figure out how to root or upgrade the sucker! HELP!!

I replied to you in the other thread you posted in... Cheers!

Reactions: lordfool
Upvote 0
Sorry if this has already been asked, a search turned up nothing for me...

After running XtrSense 4.1.x for about six months, I have decided to upgrade to the latest 4.6.5. One thing I noticed in the steps this time is to wipe three different sections of the phone. The system and dalvik I am not worried about, but the SD ext. I am. Just to be safe, I have backed up my entire SD card's contents on my laptop, but I am wondering if this wipe will delete my SD card's contents.

Just being precautious!

Thanks!

Upvote 0

After running XtrSense 4.1.x for about six months, I have decided to upgrade to the latest 4.6.5. One thing I noticed in the steps this time is to wipe three different sections of the phone. The system and dalvik I am not worried about, but the SD ext. I am. Just to be safe, I have backed up my entire SD card's contents on my laptop, but I am wondering if this wipe will delete my SD card's contents.

Just being precautious!

Thanks!

KE4NYV,

Are you using apps2sd? If not, then I don't think you have to mess with your /sdcard (i.e., partitioning it). I've got 4.6.5 installed on my Eris and I did not partition the SD card--but I'm also not running apps2sd.

You were/are wise to backup your /sdcard though...sounds like you are savvy enough to know to do this, eh? ;)

I'll let doogald or mhotovec chime-in with any additional information since they know way more about xtrSense that I do (or will :p).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
KE4NYV,

Are you using apps2sd? If not, then I don't think you have to mess with your /sdcard (i.e., partitioning it). I've got 4.6.5 installed on my Eris and I did not partition the SD card--but I'm also not running apps2sd.

You were/are wise to backup your /sdcard though...sounds like you are savvy enough to know to do this, eh? ;)

I'll let doogald or mhotovec chime-in with any additional information since they know way more about xtrSense that I do (or will :p).

Cheers!

Thanks for the info!

I went ahead and took the dive. Just completed the flash and re-boot. Sure enough, it looks like everything is gone, but that is ok since I have the back up. The worst part is having to re-do my entire phone's layout over again, including re-downloading all of my apps. Now I wish that I had taken a screenshot of my layout so I could put it back to the way I had it. It might sound crazy, but it was impossible for me to memorize how all seven screens were set up :p

I have yet to get into the SD card and see what is left there, but I am assuming that it's gone, since I did the SD wipe. I wish that I had seen your message before I did it because it sounds like I didn't have to wipe the SD card. I am not running the apps2sd script.

OK, a couple hours of app downloading and I should be back in business!

Upvote 0
If it's not already too late, I'd recommend removing the Ext partition from your SD card before you go to the trouble of setting everything back up again. Since you're not using apps to SD you don't need this partition, and the partition will cause a problem if you ever decide to try a 2.2 ROM. To remove the partition you do the exact same steps you did to create it, but set the values to 0 (zero). This WILL delete everything currently on the SD card, it shouldn't affect the phone settings (though a nand backup would still be prudent).

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
If it's not already too late, I'd recommend removing the Ext partition from your SD card before you go to the trouble of setting everything back up again. Since you're not using apps to SD you don't need this partition, and the partition will cause a problem if you ever decide to try a 2.2 ROM. To remove the partition you do the exact same steps you did to create it, but set the values to 0 (zero). This WILL delete everything currently on the SD card, it shouldn't affect the phone settings (though a nand backup would still be prudent).

OK, thanks for the tip! I have already started to set everything back up and I did confirm that the SD card data IS still there. I was happy to see this, but was prepared for the worst. However, after re-installing many of my apps, I have noticed that old data associated with some is no longer there. The most important to me is Handcent started me back at square one, default settings and all of my previous "chats" were gone. I guess I assumed these were stored on the SD and that it would go to the default directory that it uses, but that did not happen. Does anyone know how to recover these, IF they are indeed on the SD card?

Thanks for all of the help!

Upvote 0

Your SD card is formatted as a single FAT32 partition by default. However, Amon's recovery gives you the ability to create multiple partition and format them as either ext2 or ext3 partitions. You do this to use tools that allow you to install apps to these SD card partitions (or application cache) using apps2sd (or cache2sd).

As you discovered, the "wipe:ext" wipes the data ext2 and ext3 partitions from your SD card, but does not wipe the data from your normal FAT32 partition. It does this in order to remove all traces of applications from your phone when you are setting up a new ROM from scratch (or just doing a factory reset.) It's a good idea to back up the data from your SD card periodically, but unless you are actually already using apps2sd or cache2sd with xtrSENSE, there is no reason to wipe:ext. It doesn't hurt anything, but it won't affect the new install of xtrSENSE, either.

I went ahead and took the dive. Just completed the flash and re-boot. Sure enough, it looks like everything is gone, but that is ok since I have the back up.

However, after re-installing many of my apps, I have noticed that old data associated with some is no longer there. The most important to me is Handcent started me back at square one, default settings and all of my previous "chats" were gone. I guess I assumed these were stored on the SD and that it would go to the default directory that it uses, but that did not happen. Does anyone know how to recover these, IF they are indeed on the SD card?!

SMS and MMS messages are not stored on the SD card, and when you factory wipe, you'll lose these messages.

If you did a Nandroid backup, you can, indeed, get them back. There are a number of ways, but I think that the easiest is this.

1. Install the application SMS backup & restore. SMS Backup & Restore - Android app on AppBrain

2. Open the app and backup the SMS messages on your phone now. (If you have none since you reinstalled xtrSENSE, you can ignore this step.)

3. Restart in recovery. Make a Nandroid backup of your phone - this is xtrSENSE 4.6.5 as you have it installed now.

4. Go to the wipe menu, wipe factory/data reset.

5. Back to the Nandroid menu, do a Nandroid restore of your previous xtrSENSE build. When that is done, restart the phone.

6. You'll have your old system back. Install SMS backup & restore, run it, and backup your messages.

7. Restart the phone in recovery, go to the wipe menu, wipe factory/data reset, and then back to the Nandroid menu. Nandroid restore the xtrSENSE 4.6.5 that you did in step 3. Restart the phone.

8. When it restarts, start SMS backup & restore again, choose restore, and choose the latest backup point. It should bring all of your SMS messages back.

(Note: SMS backup & restore will not backup or restore MMS messages, so if you need those, let me know and I'll give you an alternative.)

Upvote 0
Your SD card is formatted as a single FAT32 partition by default. However, Amon's recovery gives you the ability to create multiple partition and format them as either ext2 or ext3 partitions. You do this to use tools that allow you to install apps to these SD card partitions (or application cache) using apps2sd (or cache2sd).

As you discovered, the "wipe:ext" wipes the data ext2 and ext3 partitions from your SD card, but does not wipe the data from your normal FAT32 partition. It does this in order to remove all traces of applications from your phone when you are setting up a new ROM from scratch (or just doing a factory reset.) It's a good idea to back up the data from your SD card periodically, but unless you are actually already using apps2sd or cache2sd with xtrSENSE, there is no reason to wipe:ext. It doesn't hurt anything, but it won't affect the new install of xtrSENSE, either.

SMS and MMS messages are not stored on the SD card, and when you factory wipe, you'll lose these messages.

If you did a Nandroid backup, you can, indeed, get them back. There are a number of ways, but I think that the easiest is this.

1. Install the application SMS backup & restore. SMS Backup & Restore - Android app on AppBrain

2. Open the app and backup the SMS messages on your phone now. (If you have none since you reinstalled xtrSENSE, you can ignore this step.)

3. Restart in recovery. Make a Nandroid backup of your phone - this is xtrSENSE 4.6.5 as you have it installed now.

4. Go to the wipe menu, wipe factory/data reset.

5. Back to the Nandroid menu, do a Nandroid restore of your previous xtrSENSE build. When that is done, restart the phone.

6. You'll have your old system back. Install SMS backup & restore, run it, and backup your messages.

7. Restart the phone in recovery, go to the wipe menu, wipe factory/data reset, and then back to the Nandroid menu. Nandroid restore the xtrSENSE 4.6.5 that you did in step 3. Restart the phone.

8. When it restarts, start SMS backup & restore again, choose restore, and choose the latest backup point. It should bring all of your SMS messages back.

(Note: SMS backup & restore will not backup or restore MMS messages, so if you need those, let me know and I'll give you an alternative.)

WOW! Thanks! OK, I will have to sit down and give this a try this weekend, when I have some spare time.

Upvote 0
Long time lurker, first time poster here! (and I hope this is a good thread to put this question in, if not, I apologize!)

I woke up this morning, thankfully 5 minutes before my alarm was supposed to go off. A few mintues later, I roll over, look at the clock and realize that my alarm is not going off. I pick up my phone and it is in the middle of a reboot. The alarm, obviously did not go off after it had rebooted, since the time had passed.

I get to work, pull out my phone, wake the phone up, and realize that the lock screen is missing. I wake up the phone and it just goes straight to the main desktop screen, no unlocking was needed. I figured, maybe a manual reboot would help, but nope. I even did a hard reboot after that, still nothing. I also noticed, when I went to shut the phone off, that a few of the phone options, such as "Turn Airplane Mode On" was missing. When I go to turn the phone off, I now only have "Reboot" and "Power Off" as options.

I am running KaosFroyo v37 and have been for about a month now.

Does anyone have any clue what happened or how I can get it back to the way it was? I have had no issues after rooting and flashing to KaosFroyo until now. Do I have to reflash the rom?

I lurk a lot, and was hesitant about rooting and flashing, but finally jumped a month ago, so I'm still a little new to all of this. So thank you for any help in advance!

ETA: After playing with the phone for a few more minutes, in some down time at work, I have realized that the "Use Wireless Networks" became uncheckmarked, my home button no longer works, I can hit it and hit it and hit it and it doesn't do a thing. Also, my KIK messenger was totally restarted. I opened it today, had to re-log back in and change all of my preferences back to what I had them at.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones