Eris AND land line, or just Eris?General

Last Updated:

1. gridbug

gridbug Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Recently had a go-round with NayT&T about "past due billing" or some such nonsense and they had the nerve to pull the plug on our land line. It was then that I realized that all we really used it for was to buzz people into our apartment complex and field the occasional call from family members (as well as the usual hasslin's by solicitors) so we made the decision to leave the land line disconnected in order to save some bucks (and to spite the phone company). Strangely, I feel kind of weird about not having the "home phone" any longer. Is that normal? Who else has gone full-cellular, and have you regretted the decision?

:p

Advertisement
  2. lilbballer27

lilbballer27 Well-Known Member

I have gone just cell phone and I love the decision. I mean if you think about it you are paying so much money a month for this eris and data plan why pay almost the same amount for home phone service when it cant search the web or download apps? lol but seriously im saving money with no home phone and couldnt be happier.

3. ttran97

ttran97 Well-Known Member

My family dropped landlines a couple of years ago. We get our internet from cable modem, not DSL. Everyone has a cell phone and there was just no need to have a line at home. At first we had Vonage to replace the line, but even $20/month ended up being a waste since we almost never used it. Now we're using Ooma, but I can foresee a day when we dont have any type of telephone at home, especially now that we have nearly unlimited cellphone minutes.

4. alchemize

alchemize Well-Known Member

I haven't had a land line in 6 years. Once I went full cell, never looked back. In my opinion, the land line is just another needless bill to worry about, seeing as your cell phone does what your land line did 100 times over.

5. kayst

kayst Well-Known Member

I cut the landline back several years ago to just the cheapest, most basic service. I would drop it altogether but for nostalgia for my number. Wish i could keep the number without actually having an account.

6. SirEagle

SirEagle Well-Known Member

Dropped the land line a few years ago and don't regret it at all.

7. Indians

Indians Active Member

We dropped a land line a few years ago, had to pick up a MagicJack for overseas calls

8. Charlie1

Charlie1 Member

We dropped the land line a couple of months ago. If everyone in the house has a cell phone, the land line is an expensive redundancy. If satellite TV programming doesn't improve real soon we'll drop it too. Since we got the Eris's we don't watch that much TV anyway.

9. dirtmouth

dirtmouth Well-Known Member

dropped the land line earlier this year. we all have cell phones with unlimited plans....i do not regret!

10. jkmailley

jkmailley Well-Known Member

NEVER had a land line...Moved out on of parents house where all I used was my cell, into my own apt...no land line...in with my boyfriend/fiance/now husband and bought a house and no land line. 8 years and counting...

11. Pitamakan

Pitamakan Well-Known Member

Got rid of the land line last year, and no regrets at all. (I did sign up for one of those almost-free VOIP lines, so I'll have a backup in case the Eris dies ... but I pretty much never use it.)

12. hookem

hookem Well-Known Member

We got rid of ours a few years ago also. We use one of our accounts as a "home" phone. My kids use it when they walk home from school.

13. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

We ditched our land line a few years ago too. We have an extra line on our Verizon account with a simple flip phone so the kids have a way to call one of us or 911 if it is needed.

deathratlehead likes this.
  14. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

It's been 8 or more years since I've had a landline.

15. hookem

hookem Well-Known Member

Just to add ... Any one still use a phone book?

16. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Well-Known Member

I still have my land line. Cell service is awful where I live. Almost every call drops in my house. And its not any better outside. I can only send and retrieve texts if I am near a window. I'd leave Verizon, but the alternatives are worse.

17. l1tech

l1tech Member

We ditched our landline 3 years ago. Everyone in the family has a cell. Havn't given it a second thought. Kind of nice sitting down for dinner and not having the phone ring with somone trying to sell you something.

18. ferrocene

ferrocene Well-Known Member

I left a landline. I had DSL for awhile, and if you ask, you can get just a dialtone for $6/mo (this is AT&T). That gives you metered local calling and no long distance, lol. Six bucks is like a big mac every month, not a big deal.

However, once I got cable, I cut the cord. Now I spring for the venti frap, lol.

19. DroidJW

DroidJW Well-Known Member

was using ATT CallVantage VOIP via my cable modem, but 18 months ago bought an Ooma (flat $200 upfront), no bills ever, uses my highspeed connection for Voip. Yes, its a bet on the long term survivability of Ooma and its business model, but considering I was paying, monthly, $30 with tax for Callvantage, I've already achieved payback.

20. TheAtheistReverend

TheAtheistReverend Anybody want a peanut? VIP Member

I haven't had a land line since I lived at my parents place in '96. Tried the VOIP thing, had a "home" number for 6 months, but never used it.
    I do have a skype account with a few dollars on it for international calls. Now I can just call Skype-to-go and make international calls from my cell.

Just for target practice (duct tape 4ft of them together and a fmj 30-06 will go dang near all the way through!

How about a paper map? Anyone using one of those anymore?

21. hookem

hookem Well-Known Member

Only as a back up. Verizon isn't "everywhere".

22. TheAtheistReverend

TheAtheistReverend Anybody want a peanut? VIP Member

Hehe.
    I opened one up in a car the other day and felt like the biggest doof. I couldn't even tell I was in a car, all I could see was map. It took me a while to figure out what way to hold it, and I used to be good at folding them back to perfection. WOW. I'm starting to realize some down sides to tech.

23. JaybirdOSU

JaybirdOSU Member

If you have a broadband internet connection, you might want to consider Verizon's Network Extender.

Enter your location

24. rthibeault

rthibeault Active Member

If the number means that much to ya, you could always have it ported to your cell...;)

25. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks, but I shouldn't have to do that. I don't live in the middle of nowhere. I'm in a decent sized suburb. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect decent cellular service.