eris as mp3 player?General

Last Updated:

1. tommy_ed

tommy_ed Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

sooo I'm probably going to work my way into an incredible next week because although i LOVE my eris, I just can't deal with the lag anymore. I was initially thinking about having my eris warrantied and then selling the replacement, but got to thinking. What if I stripped everything off of it, the apps, contacts, everything except what can't be removed, and just used it as a music player? The only problem with this is the music player is one of the laggiest programs on the phone. It's terrible actually. Wondering if stripping it down will help this? Any thoughts? to be honest I'd rather just root and overclock the processor but my computer can't seem to accomplish this feat

Advertisement
  2. buff12db

buff12db Well-Known Member

Well if you want a giant mp3 player to carry around, go for it. I'm sure it will speed up with no apps on it.

3. LED

LED Well-Known Member

Have you tried anything other than the stock player? I've used TuneWiki and currently use bTunes and both seem pretty quick to me.

4. tommy_ed

giant? its the same size as an ipod touch haha i'll prolly just be using it in my car anyway, i'll use the inc for everything else, i use an fm transmitter and its a pain in the ass to unplug it to answer my phone

5. infamousx

infamousx Member

Why do people talk about their phone being laggy? My Eris is not laggy at all and works great. I have not had a problem with it since i bought it. I went from 1.5 to 2.1 v1 then to 2.1 v3 and now im on 2.1 OTA and it still works great. Can someone tell me how it is laggy?

6. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Its laggy compared to an Incredible. :D But its not unbearable lag.

7. ericDylan

ericDylan Well-Known Member

try meridean player ... i used that for a while but now i use the new doubletwist app ... a little laggy but not too bad and that's when i have other apps running ... so maybe if it was the ony one running/ on the phone.

8. infamousx

infamousx Member

I never played with that so i wouldn't know. But my Eris is not laggy at all.

9. tommy_ed

you must be lucky because mine is definitely enough to annoy the hell out of me. Almost always at least 1-2 seconds or sometimes (not as often) 3-5 seconds between clicking something and the phone performing said action. HTC should have stepped it up a little with the processor. If everyone is talking about it then it's obviously an issue with the phone and not something we're all imagining. yes, it works, but not fast enough for me to keep for another two years :rolleyes:

10. paulmmcneil

paulmmcneil Member

My ancient iPod video (from when 60 gigs was the biggest offered) completely died just around the time I got me Eris, so my Eris has been my main music player since then. Personally, I couldn't stand the stock player, so I went to Mixzing. For me, it was the player that gave me the simple functionality I wanted with a very nice UI. I never have lag problems on the music end, and I honestly listen to hours of music (usually MP3s, but with a lot of Pandora in there too) every day.

I will say one thing though- my number one biggest problem with Android is the lack of gapless playback on music, which probably isn't a big deal to a lot of people, but music is huge for me. I am part of the dying breed that believes in the album, and a lot of my albums feature seamless transitions between tracks, so it's annoying to have that little gap there. With it being a standard feature on MP3 players, it's really a shame Google hasn't implemented this. I hear 2.3 will focus on upping the multimedia portions of the OS, and I REALLY hope gapless is part of that. If that happens, I think it will be time for me to spring the money for whatever the hot new Android phone on Verizon is at that time... :D

P.S. I swear I didn't mean to rant when I started this reply!

11. UnexplainedBacon

UnexplainedBacon Well-Known Member

My Eris is incredibly laggy (at times) when using the actual phone portion of the device. Ironic, no? Often times there is a very noticeable lag between when I hit the phone in the launcher and when the keypad comes up. When the keypad does finally pop up, the numbers lag way behind my fingers. I can literally enter the entire phone number before the Eris is past the zip code. The numbers eventually show up but it takes a looong time. Also, it lags when hanging up a call. Today I had one where I was able to count to 6 after hitting the end call button before it actually disconnected.

Good thing I didnt say anything bad about the other party during that time...