Eris (barely) running 2.2General

Last Updated:

1. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

[​IMG]

Froyo - xda-developers

haven't seen anyone post this yet, and its based off the SDK not source code, but an XDA member has ported 2.2 (Froyo) to our beloved Eris

Advertisement
  2. T-Keith

T-Keith Well-Known Member

Great I wonder it runs faster now. I'd love 2.2 for the speed boost and browser alone. Here's hoping HTC and Verizon push this OTA. I'm not holding my breath though.

3. truelove79

truelove79 Well-Known Member

While I believe the Eris would have NO problem running 2.2, I doubt we'll ever see it. My jaw will literally hit the floor if VZW ever announces 2.2 for the Eris. I just don't see it happening.

4. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I think it will be like last time and we will get Gingerbread instead of Froyo.

TDianna likes this.
  5. JrzDroid

2.2 was actually developed on the older CPU's like the G1 apparently. Now if they can get it (sorta) running on the G1 I don't see why the Eris couldn't run it. If Google really wants to stop fragmentation, I think we just might see Froyo or Gingerbread

6. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member

There has to be a limit or cut-off though. We can't expect Google to make Android 4.2 usable for an Eris or older phone. There will be fragmentation...

7. T2noob

T2noob Well-Known Member

andrizoid likes this.
  8. NickDroid86

NickDroid86 Well-Known Member

Let me know when its functional, I was just about to root tonight but now should I wait froyo?

9. astrostrat89

astrostrat89 Well-Known Member

I don't see it either. There is always a cost associated with updates etc. At some point and time the cost is going to out weigh the benefit of doing another release.

10. Ciggy

Ciggy Well-Known Member

If they continue to update outdated phones with new software no one will buy the next best thing. 2.1 is probably our last update except root makes the sky the limit.

11. Scynthetic78

Scynthetic78 Well-Known Member

I don't believe that at all. I don't buy new computers because I want the latest service pack for windows. Hardware upgrades will always continue to push sales just as much, if not more than software.

12. fragologist

fragologist Well-Known Member

I love 2.1 but if we do get 2.2 I will probably crap myself.

13. ludist210

ludist210 Well-Known Member

I couldn't care less about Flash, I just want to store Apps on my SD card. If HTC pushed that out without giving us Froyo, I'd be more than satisfied.

14. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member

These aren't service packs. They're new operating systems, like going from Win98 to ME to XP to Vista and so on. Do people run Vista on machines that originally shipped with ME ?

15. rick311

rick311 Well-Known Member

root allows apps to sd.

16. no-idea

no-idea Well-Known Member

is there a way to root 2.1ota yet?

17. rick311

rick311 Well-Known Member

yes, i believe its the same as 1.5. check the root section.

the roms ive seen with the apps to sd all have overclocking too. i dont want to OC, just apps to sd.

18. ljbaumer

ljbaumer Well-Known Member

i was just running android 2.2 in a ROM released on the SDK developers page: [ROM]KaosFroyo V2[05/21] [FROYO] - xda-developers

it was actually really slow and a lot of it was buggy. i mean it is still a huge work in progress but the ROM itself is not super fast at all, kinda reminds me of what 1.5 was like interms of speed.

BUT it was pulled from the android SDK API(s) so of course it is going to be slow. (i think)

19. Scynthetic78

Scynthetic78 Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are quite a few that do. I'd venture to guess that the jump from ME to Vista is FAR greater than 2.1 to 2.2 anyway. The fact still remains that you don't buy a new machine just for the software. If I decide I want windows 7, I'll happily install it on my current vista 64 pc. My choice of hardware upgrades has not, and never will be based on the included software.

From what I've heard, the JIT compiler isn't working yet so I'm sure that has a lot to do with the speed issues.

20. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm doubting 2.2 will come any time soon for us, if at all.

The biggest bummer, though, is that phones that don't get updated may never have the ability for true hands-free dialing (voice dialing over bluetooth). This is not just a 'nice' feature, like faster speed, but a safety & legality issue in many states. Users on 2.1 or lower may never have a way to safely make calls while driving, even though most other phones on the market have this basic feature. I've heard developers aren't able to create apps that overcome this.

21. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member

Even if the eris ever did get 2.2... by then we will all be eligible for our upgrades and will be moving over to the Eris 2 forum :D

22. JrzDroid

I think we might just get Froyo or Gingerbread. Verizon (hopefully) knows that a lot of us wanted an Android device on their network and a lot of people chose the Eris. On Phandroid it said that all OEMs were to get Froyo in the coming weeks, so its a big possibility

23. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Well-Known Member

Sticky please. This is at least the third 2.2 thread I have seen here. Save the penguins.

24. JrzDroid

this should be stickied. 2.1 had a thread, now lets give 2.2 one!

25. cosmo

cosmo Member