• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris Car Mount for Google Navi

Has anyone used a cup holder dock? I'm looking at something like this. I'm heading to Bristol, TN this weekend from Ohio and looking to try out the Google Navigation!

7694989_sa.jpg

Bracketron - Mobile Dock-It Universal Vehicle Cup-Holder Mount for Mobile Devices - Black - UCH-100

Upvote 0
View attachment 2163

View attachment 2164

I have this one and LOVE it! It is similar to pro-clip (I think) in that it has a in dash mounted bracket specific to your vehicle (no drilling needed). Then the universal holder just gets screwed onto it. I also got a swivel mount for it, ask them about this when ordering. I paid about $36, but I got the swivel mount for free, so I'm not sure how much it is. Edited to add pictures.

InDash Custom Mount with Gripper Holder - GR2531/1642/InDash by:
Time to clean your floor mats. LOL

Upvote 0
I really want the proclip setup just because it's slick and it exists. However, when I took my Eris for a side-by-side road trip comparison with my old Garmin, I found myself reverting back to the Garmin over and over again because of lag or poor pathfinding on the Eris.

So am I correct to assume that the proclip setups aren't as simple as just clipping them onto the dash?

Upvote 0
I really want the proclip setup just because it's slick and it exists. However, when I took my Eris for a side-by-side road trip comparison with my old Garmin, I found myself reverting back to the Garmin over and over again because of lag or poor pathfinding on the Eris.

So am I correct to assume that the proclip setups aren't as simple as just clipping them onto the dash?

First thing you need to do is go to the proclip website and enter the information. Then you can look at the install guide and it will show you step by step how to install the holder. Mine simply clipped underneath my center vent and attached on the top of my dash bezel. It has an adhesive strip on the top clip for my Saab. My advice to you is go to the site and take a look. I'm loving my mount.

Good Luck
Jeff

Upvote 0
The purpose of a car mount is for the mount to actually hold the phone in place. One quick stop and your phone would fly out of that thing. Good idea for a dock not a car mount...

It has actually worked really well. I've had it there for 2 days worth of school/work traffic. It is stuck down with a bit of packing tape. I think I like portrait mode better, even with nav. I guess it because the home screen doesn't go landscape.

Upvote 0
After reading this thread and doing some research I found the pro-clip to be the most sturdy and clean mount. I opted for the center console mount instead of the dashboard mount. I dont use navigation all that much and when I do I find myself just glancing at it every once in a while and listening more than looking. I like the center console mount because its incognito, but still at an arms reach. I also opted for the hard wired choice so I dont have to have any ugly cords plugged into my cigarette lighter and draped across the car/dash. Took about a total of 30 minutes to install and maybe $7 extra from an in-line fuse holder and a pack of fuses (they dont sell single 2 amp fuses!). Anyway, I thought I would share some photos of my install. If anyone is wondering this is a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Upvote 0
This was posted in the Accessories Thread... I just bought it from the link provided. $8.99 with free shipping. We'll see how it works once it gets here. I'll post a review once I get it.
I have one like this, I'm not thrilled with it.
it is sloppy, you put the phone in and it will lock onto the volume key and turn the volume off on you, it does work, but you get what you pay for.

Upvote 0
After reading this thread and doing some research I found the pro-clip to be the most sturdy and clean mount. I opted for the center console mount instead of the dashboard mount. I dont use navigation all that much and when I do I find myself just glancing at it every once in a while and listening more than looking. I like the center console mount because its incognito, but still at an arms reach. I also opted for the hard wired choice so I dont have to have any ugly cords plugged into my cigarette lighter and draped across the car/dash. Took about a total of 30 minutes to install and maybe $7 extra from an in-line fuse holder and a pack of fuses (they dont sell single 2 amp fuses!). Anyway, I thought I would share some photos of my install. If anyone is wondering this is a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I wouldn't want to mount a phone like that, you have to take your eyes too far away from the road to see it, and it is borderline out of reach... doesn't seem practical

Upvote 0
I wouldn't want to mount a phone like that, you have to take your eyes too far away from the road to see it, and it is borderline out of reach... doesn't seem practical

Neither would I for that very reason, but he stated that he "listens to it more than looks at"
And everyones driving style is different so that set up suits his driving style

Upvote 0
Anyone have a mount in a Honda Odyssey (2005 or newer) ? The windshield is too far away for a windshield-mount, the dash has no flat spots, and a mount on the center vents appears that my phone would block the radio (above) or heater controls (below). The gear selector is inline with the vents to swiveling it to the left won't work... I think mounting it to the vents on the right might be too far away.

Looking for ideas.

Upvote 0
Anyone have a mount in a Honda Odyssey (2005 or newer) ? The windshield is too far away for a windshield-mount, the dash has no flat spots, and a mount on the center vents appears that my phone would block the radio (above) or heater controls (below). The gear selector is inline with the vents to swiveling it to the left won't work... I think mounting it to the vents on the right might be too far away.

Looking for ideas.

I have the same issue, different van, but same deal, I took the phone holder part off of the one I just bought and attached it to the gooseneck of my old Omnia phone holder, they all clip on the same way. the part that hold holds the phone just locks into the windshield mount part, and is a pretty universal design.

did yu check that pro clip site listed above? they make pretty specific mounting systems.

Upvote 0

Looking for ideas.

Proclip has 2 different locations:

Jeff

Attachments

• 853549.jpg
    853549.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 214
  • 853550-4.JPG
    853550-4.JPG
    3.3 KB · Views: 223
Upvote 0

Looking for ideas.

Pro clip has a mount that will mount to the left of your steering wheel on the vent.
I bought a mount for my nissan titan and love it....The only thing I don't like about viewing the Eris horizontal is that by wearing polarized sunglasses you can see it, so I have to leave it vertical.

Upvote 0
I don't know how practical it would be mounting on the left. I have a feeling there'd be too much glare on the screen and I'd have to rotate the phone so much to avoid the glare that I wouldn't be able to see the screen then...

Either way, between the (2) req'd parts from ProClip, it's getting in the $50 range. :(

I'll position my phone to the right side of the center console and see how it looks (and feels). I have a feeling it will be too far away for my preference.

Upvote 0
Just went on the proclip website, don't get turned off by the high price. They have cheaper versions that don't have the charger base or swivel. Also, I'm not sure if it's because I have a cheaper car (I have an integra), but the mount was $30, then you choose the holder. Anyway, mine came with a car charger, so I might get this:
proclip.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones