Eris continuously overheating...General

Last Updated:

1. Familyguy1

Familyguy1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So today I was driving in my car with my phone on the space between the gear shifter and the console( Lexus ES300- forget the name of the place). Anyway, I had it there and when I touched it, it was hot to the touch. I checked the Temp and it clocked up to 47.8 degrees Celsius(wish the standard HTC battery widget came with an option to change to Fahrenheit!!). I was alarmed as it has never gone that high before and I was not doing anything with it while driving(as that would be stupid). An hour later I was driving again and plugged it into the car charger to charge it and it shot back up to mid 40's range.

Could it be the sun reflecting off of the plastic?

Please someone help, this has been continuously happening 2-3 times now ever since I got the Eris(about late May-early June).

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. jimdroid

jimdroid Well-Known Member

It could be the sun. It could also be the coverage area you were in. If the phone has to search for coverage, it can get quite hot indeed. I first noticed this effect when I was in a horrible coverage area; I thought the phone was going to burn a hole in my pocket.

Another possibility is just an app that you have put on your phone that is not behaving and is forcing the processor to run all the time. There are various ways to figure out if this is the case (depending on which Android OS you are running).

jd

3. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

If its in a place that the sun is hitting it, then you just answered your own question.

4. Slugdoc

Slugdoc Well-Known Member

IF it is getting hot, the problem isn't the sun reflecting off the plastic. It's the sun being absorbed by the plastic... just saying.

5. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Eh. He had the right idea. Couldn't be arsed to correct him.

6. Familyguy1

It IS in a rubbery case..I forget what its called..so that could be a cause too..

7. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Well-Known Member

I have had mine overheat on the car charger too. It has even happened at night so that was definitely not the sun. I have usually had navigation and/or pandora running.

8. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

There are some apps that seem to sort of freewheel in there.

Once that happens, getting too warm or seeming to slow down a bit, I'll track down the app and toss it.

9. Familyguy1

It also seems to happen when I am charging my phone, as in right now it is getting hotter than normal

10. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

Well, it's going to warm up when you charge it. "Hotter than normal" is a pretty subjective thing - what temperature are you talking about? 30C ? 35 C?

FWIW, I once saw mine go to 55 C - I was driving down the interstate, streaming music, and running a wardrive app that continuously pulls (Google) map data, and the phone was connected to the car charger and sitting in the sun in the passenger side of the vehicle. My phone is very well behaved (as near as I can tell from some other reports here).

Sounds to me like what you are seeing is "normal".

I would be alarmed if it got spontaneously hot when it was not connected to a charger - say 40-50C.

eu1