• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris: first impressions

Another happy Eris owner here. Sense UI kicks ass! Not sure why people claim this has a "slow" CPU. I run youtube, full size webpages, and even view large color PDFs and the phone renders eveything fine, interface is nearly liquid smooth. I dont see any CPU issues here. Sure maybe the "Bleeding Edge" phones out there can render pages a few seconds faster but who cares? This phone is much more compact and pocketable then them...

Upvote 0
I was more impressed with the Eris from the beginning. After playing with both, the Eris just feels and behaves better than the Droid in my opinion. My only concern was the battery life. Can anyone tell me how often they are having to charge it? I suppose I will use it in an average way. Maybe a few calls a day and a little bit of web browsing.

Is this something that has to be charged everyday or every other day? Just wondering before I make the purchase.

Upvote 0
I was more impressed with the Eris from the beginning. After playing with both, the Eris just feels and behaves better than the Droid in my opinion. My only concern was the battery life. Can anyone tell me how often they are having to charge it? I suppose I will use it in an average way. Maybe a few calls a day and a little bit of web browsing.

Is this something that has to be charged everyday or every other day? Just wondering before I make the purchase.

Every night. No biggie from my POV.

Upvote 0
Anyone else notice the following:

Documents to Go: Cannot download my paid license. License was paid for using the Droid....same as above. Only free main app available on the Android Market. Cannot upgrade. Even if I wanted to re-purchase, the store will not show the appropriate screen(s).

I'm having the same issue with Documents ToGo. Talked to DataViz tech support this morning about it - couldn't help me, told me to contact Google. Google wants me to contact DataViz.

Might need to contact my credit card company to register a complaint and get a refund. I'll give them a couple of days to figure this out though...

Upvote 0
I'm having the same issue with Documents ToGo. Talked to DataViz tech support this morning about it - couldn't help me, told me to contact Google. Google wants me to contact DataViz.

Might need to contact my credit card company to register a complaint and get a refund. I'll give them a couple of days to figure this out though...

Issue resolved. DataViz contacted me via email, called them on the phone and got my app re-licensed.

Just had to send an email to DataViz via google checkout stating what happened. Contacted me a few hours later... Wished it could have been worked out when I first contacted them, but all is well now in the end.

Upvote 0
My battery is awful, I charged it lastnight, and now I am at 30% life, I have no idea why.. I have turned Blue Tooth off, Wifi is on, I have App killer on and Google Sync off......any ideas ?

I had this problem with my HTC Ozone, solved it by turning off the Bluetooth and Wifi....why have wifi on if you are on a unlimited data plan? Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
This morning I went to my local VZW store fully intending to walk out with a Morotola Droid, but it only took about five minutes playing with both phones to convince me that Droid Eris would be replacing my BlackBerry.

Same thing happened to me. I had the Blackberry 8100, 8310 and 8900 and went into the verizon store to play around with the Droid. For me the Droid felt nice size wise, but I found it to be on the heavy side and also didnt like the way the keyboard opens and closes and how loose the top feels. There was an Eris next to it and I started playing with it and it felt great on my hand right away. Size, feel, look everything click for me. So now Im an Eris owner :)

The only thing that Im starting to miss from Blackberry is the lack of good quality accessories from HTC...we BB users are really spoiled with extremely good quality built accessories. Maybe I just have not found the right place...who knows

Upvote 0
I'm considering either the Motorola Droid or the HTC. Do both or either of them have the capability to sync with Outlook? I'm mostly concerned about contacts and calendar (though task list would be nice) since my e-mail is through a POP3, which I've been told should sync from the server just fine (if that's incorrect, please let me know.)

Upvote 0
Found the solution to formatting phone numbers in Gmail. Saved contacts as a csv file, opened the file and changed the cell formatting for each phone field to custom and set the formatting as (000) 000-0000. This formatted all 138 contact phone numbers. I then copied the column and pasted special: as values. This changed the column to a text column so that when I uploaded the file back into Gmail, the formatted numbers remained as I saved them.

Upvote 0
I just picked my Eris up last night after years on a Blackberry. I loved the look and feel better than the Motorola (especially the weight), but started having a few fears of needing the Motorola keyboard and more umph. After reading the feedback and playing more on mine, I am convinced I have made the smart choice.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I just picked my Eris up last night after years on a Blackberry. I loved the look and feel better than the Motorola (especially the weight), but started having a few fears of needing the Motorola keyboard and more umph. After reading the feedback and playing more on mine, I am convinced I have made the smart choice.

Thanks!

After having the Eris for 2 months and switching to the Droid, the Droid is a huge brick in comparison. Heavy and bulky, for sure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones