• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris Frustrations: Texts Resending and Other Frustrations

FunnyBunny

Lurker
Jun 22, 2010
Good afternoon!

I've read these forums for months (bought my Eris in February) but just now have decided to post. My experience with the Eris has gone from great, to horrible... and I need some help.

I had no problems with my Eris when I bought it. In fact, I loved it.

I waited paitently for the 2.1 OTA and the problems began shortly after upgrading my phone. Apps force closed non-stop, the phone wouldn't ring, the dreaded silent bug occurred every few phone calls... you name it.

I received my refurb from Verizon a few weeks ago and did the OTA once again. For two weeks, no problems.

Until now. The phone doesn't ring at times, the browser force closes frequently, Google Maps often doesn't work and - here's a new one - the phone randomly resends previously sent text messages on every reboot. Every. Single. Time.

I use my phone for work and pleasure; the last text message was sent to my supervisor and nearly caused me to miss an important conference call. I just do not "trust" the phone anymore and not sure what to do next.

Has anyone else experienced the re-sent text message. Or, has anyone else successfully bullied Verizon into getting a different phone?

I don't want a third Eris; I'm relatively confident that something is wrong with the software on the phone itself. Two broken phones in 4 months is too much.

Good afternoon!

I've read these forums for months (bought my Eris in February) but just now have decided to post. My experience with the Eris has gone from great, to horrible... and I need some help.

I had no problems with my Eris when I bought it. In fact, I loved it.

I waited paitently for the 2.1 OTA and the problems began shortly after upgrading my phone. Apps force closed non-stop, the phone wouldn't ring, the dreaded silent bug occurred every few phone calls... you name it.

I received my refurb from Verizon a few weeks ago and did the OTA once again. For two weeks, no problems.

Until now. The phone doesn't ring at times, the browser force closes frequently, Google Maps often doesn't work and - here's a new one - the phone randomly resends previously sent text messages on every reboot. Every. Single. Time.

I use my phone for work and pleasure; the last text message was sent to my supervisor and nearly caused me to miss an important conference call. I just do not "trust" the phone anymore and not sure what to do next.

Has anyone else experienced the re-sent text message. Or, has anyone else successfully bullied Verizon into getting a different phone?

I don't want a third Eris; I'm relatively confident that something is wrong with the software on the phone itself.

I have the exact same issues/annoyances as you. I am fed up with my Eris. I've called VW Customer service 5x and HTC CS. HTC was clueless. VW replaced my device only to have the same exact issues as my previous phone. VW offered to upgrade me to the Droid INC, but I am not sure I want another HTC phone.

I have heard though, HTC and VW are supposedly aware of the issues...silent call, lack of 3g bar coverage...etc...but everytime I speak with VW customer service, they say they have not heard of this. Either way, i feel your pain and you are not alone.

Upvote 0
I know it sounds pretty mundane, but have either of you performed the facotry data reset as part of the 2.1 upgrade? It's been suggested many times around the forums, and for many people it has solved numbers of issues they were experiencing. Here is a couple of threads you may want to review:

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/80233-factory-data-reset-option.html

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/41385-how-backup-your-htc-eris.html

*NOTE* The factory data reset with place the phone in the condition it was when you received it (will not roll back to 1.5 if that's what came installed on your phone); meaning everything (not on the card) will be erased.

Upvote 0
I know it sounds pretty mundane, but have either of you performed the facotry data reset as part of the 2.1 upgrade? It's been suggested many times around the forums, and for many people it has solved numbers of issues they were experiencing. Here is a couple of threads you may want to review:

*NOTE* The factory data reset with place the phone in the condition it was when you received it; meaning everything (not on the card) will be erased.

Yes, i've done it a few times. Believe me, i've tried various potential solutions.

Upvote 0

Yeah, I did the factory reset on my first phone AND did it as soon as I upgraded the new one (before adding apps, personalizations, etc.). I'm about to try it a third time... but I shouldn't have to lost all my settings, apps, etc. every two months to keep a phone running smoothly.

Upvote 0
I have the exact same issues/annoyances as you. I am fed up with my Eris. I've called VW Customer service 5x and HTC CS. HTC was clueless. VW replaced my device only to have the same exact issues as my previous phone. VW offered to upgrade me to the Droid INC, but I am not sure I want another HTC phone.

I have heard though, HTC and VW are supposedly aware of the issues...silent call, lack of 3g bar coverage...etc...but everytime I speak with VW customer service, they say they have not heard of this. Either way, i feel your pain and you are not alone.

You may want to seriously consider the Incredible if they've offered it to you. People around here are going nuts for that phone. I haven't read the Incredible forums; however, it may be worth browsing to see what types of issues people are having.

Upvote 0
Well, my phone skips through songs when i am using an FM transmitter or have it hooked up to something. Anyone else have that issue? Also I didn't know that they were offering the incredible to people???? Where can i find out more about that?

sorry, should clarify, they were'nt offering it to me for free, but would let me upgrade early if I sign a 2-year contract. I hate signing for that long. Plus, from what i've read on the INC forums, they are having similar issues. That leads me to believe it's a HTC issue mostly. Last thing I want is to get the INC only to have the same problems. I think i'd lose it.

Upvote 0
If the phone has texts categorized as "undelivered", it will attempt to redeliver them after reboot. Sounds like your phone is not re-categorizing them as "delivered" after it does that, though. You'll have to find them in your messaging app and permanently delete them.

Are you restoring your texts from backup every time you do a factory reset? I imagine that would put them back into the "undelivered" pile.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones