Eris FULLY on Cricket (Root Req'd)

Last Updated:

1. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

You need root for this full functionality to work without the broadband trick.

There are other threads, in general about this, but this is huge. By using methods by the Droid and other phones, this kid did this with an Eris. I take no credit for this, but I have been hunting for this for a long time, messing with iptables, messing with proxy's and APN's, and have been unsuccessful. This is a modified/fixed (by me) version of what token419 posted on Howard Forums, no longer a direct quote.

This is without the broadband trick (you don't need it), and is good for FULL functionality, just get a Cricket plan that involves 'web'!

Thanks, to token419 from Howard Forums (and those who helped him)

NOTE: All of the things in the following threads must still be done to get your Eris on Cricket FIRST, and to get MMS working (before or after, doesn't matter, token419's 'web and mms' flash MAY do this for you, I have no confirmation one way or another)
    On Cricket to start with: http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/40266-eris-cricket-wireless.html#post309039 (scroll up and down a few posts for all the info)

**I have added the latest/greatest PRL file. This is good for NATIONWIDE. Not any certain location. It connects with Sprint's towers, and is for the new Android plan (but works great on any plan, my gf uses it right now, it's 100% legit) 32100.prl (you have to unzip it, clearly).

MMS: (you don't need to do this - only if the flash doesn't work) http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/51990-eris-cricket-mms-wep.html#post432287
    At your own risk:

EVERYTHING BELOW HERE CAN BE REPLACED WITH TOKEN419'S FLASHABLE ZIP FOR WEB:
    Put that on your SD card, boot into recovery, make a nand backup, and flash zip from SD card (and choose the .zip file you just put on the sd card).

Godspeed.

But, whether token419's flash works for you or not, here are the instructions that CREATED that flash: (YOU DON'T NEED TO DO ANY OF THIS IF YOU'VE USED THE FLASH, THIS IS JUST FOR REFERENCE, AND IN CASE YOU NEED TO DO IT 'MANUALLY'!!

Requirements:
    Rooted Rom
    Autostart (Root) from android market (free)
    u2nl.zip from white rabbits site whiterabbit.org (hit Android stuff at the bottom, then get the pre-compiled Droid binary - Eris is included in that file)

Following Brandon's Guide and replace the internet portion with the steps listed below

Step 2. Setting up
    What you need: u2nl.zip from white rabbits site whiterabbit.org
    install Autostart (Root) from android market

Unzip the u2nl.zip to your androidsdk/tools folder so that u2nl and autostart.sh are in your androidsdk/tools folder. (use the autostart.sh that's in the Eris folder, not the one in the Droid folder!)

adb shell su
    (look on phone to push 'Allow' or 'Always Allow' if it pops up - if not, then move to the next line)
    mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    cd /data/
    mkdir opt
    chmod 0777 /data/opt/
    chmod 0777 /system/bin/
    exit
    adb remount
    adb push autostart.sh /data/opt/autostart.sh
    adb push u2nl /system/bin/u2nl
    adb shell
    chmod 0777 /data/opt/autostart.sh
    chmod 0777 /system/bin/u2nl
    reboot
    click always allow on the prompt to allow the Autostart app to run at system startup

you should now have working market/apps/web, WITHOUT ANY PROXY, and WITHOUT THE BROADBAND trick.

Thanks to the motodroid post here:
    HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Moto Droid Full EV-DO and MMS Solution
    and their reference post here: HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - service programming on the moto droid

Attached Files:

Advertisement
    hamsterhonda and SirSlayer like this.
  2. SirSlayer

SirSlayer Well-Known Member

Its about time we find this. Now if we can just find the method without having root. I know its out there!!!!! Good find though.

3. pkopalek

Once rooting Leak or 2.1 OTA is figured out, that's money.

My gf's phone will be rooted and running it ASAP. I'll report on success rate at that point.

4. screennamie

screennamie Well-Known Member

What is the benefit of cricket? I see the 3g is pretty sparce to say the least. I would probably only get 1x in my area.

Is it way cheaper or what?!

5. MJL

MJL Well-Known Member

+1 I hear a lot of talk about cricket, and I am clueless about what the deal is with it. Can you fill me in?

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

6. meanm50

meanm50 Well-Known Member

Cricket=Unlimited EVERYTHING for $50 a month.

7. meanm50

Ok...help. I got through everything until adb push u2nl /system/bin/u2nl.....it says permission denied....

But I pushed the autostart.sh just fine....any idears?

8. meanm50

Oh yeah...PS...IT WORKS!!!!!

9. screennamie

So you need to be on contract with them first. Well that's good to know in 14 mo. I'll be able to pay alot less :rolleyes:

10. meanm50

No contract...

www.mycricket.com :D

By the way...ON topic...can anyone confirm broken wifi after this?

11. screennamie

O M G

Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the ground. Thats half the price of big red!

To bad it's not offered in my area. :(

12. pkopalek

It's good if you're in places where it's offered. Sometimes texts take a couple of hours to go through (once a week you miss a couple), but for the most part, it works JUST fine.

Well worth it. I wish my gf's phone was rooted so I could get her FULLY on it instead of web only.

13. iflip

iflip Well-Known Member

is a pageplus rom possible??

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

14. jcase

jcase Well-Known Member

pkopalek,

Hit me up on IRC and we will roll this into an app.

15. fritzel67

fritzel67 Well-Known Member

@jcase Great idea...keep us posted.

@screen My cricket bill is $40/mo plus around $7 in taxes/fees so for under $50 I get unlimited everything. So yes, the reason for Cricket is price and no contract.

16. pkopalek

I fixed this, to work exactly. It's simpler now.

17. fritzel67

@pko Can you elaborate?

18. meanm50

Yes. More info please. It worked fine for me. But I ditched all the ADB crap and just transferred files from my sd card using the terminal in the phone.

19. pkopalek

I found that I had to chmod /system/bin to 777 before doing it because it wouldn't let me write in there. Token419 didn't have that step in there, and it was necessary for my phone, so I posted it. I also got rid of all of the autostart.sh modification that he had posted there, since the whiterabbit.org guy has INCLUDED an eris-designed autostart.sh.

yeah you could definitely put all the things on your sd card and use mv command to get things there, I assume. chmod might not be necessary if you do that.

the ALTERNATIVE method would be putting u2nl and autostart.sh on your SD card (just on it, not in any folder on it, just right in the main directory)

Install Autostart from Market (free).
    THEN open terminal emulator (or some kind of terminal program) and run the following:
    mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    cd /data/
    mkdir opt
    chmod 0777 /data/opt/
    chmod 0777 /system/bin/
    cp /sdcard/autostart.sh /data/opt/autostart.sh
    cp /sdcard/u2nl /system/bin/u2nl
    chmod 0777 /data/opt/autostart.sh
    chmod 0777 /system/bin/u2nl
    reboot
    after reboot, SU should ask you to allow, just use 'always allow'.

that might work too. Someone can confirm or deny. I gave my gf MY rooted phone, so I could set this up on cricket for her, So no root for me until I trade with someone. can't try it.

Edit: Changed 'mv' to 'cp' since you'd get a cross-device error with 'mv'

20. meanm50

I can confirm most of that. I used ADB at first, pushed the autostart.sh just fine but wouldn't push u2nl....so that is when I put u2nl on my sdcard and used

mv /sdcard/u2nl /system/bin/u2nl

to put it in the /bin/...rebooted and it worked fine. I don't see why the commands above wouldn't work. Seems legit.

My question is when I flash a new ROM will have have to repeat this process? If so, I will do it all from my sdcard this time to confirm the commands above work fully.

21. pkopalek

I would think that installing a new ROM will overwrite most of this stuff, yes. So it's worth trying again.

and yes, adb push for the u2nl DIDN'T work because you had to CHMOD the bin folder too (not just the other one). Token419 left that out of his directions. That's what I meant when I 'fixed' them. You have to chmod both folders (not just the one) to push the right files into them with adb push. I guess you don't need any chmod at all when using the terminal? Since you're a superuser? Please report your findings!

22. meanm50

I have other ADB problems...I figured that I needed to chmod for u2nl, but I was having a problem with adb that day. My work computer will adb all day long. My laptop will as well...but my main rig at home will not. I am still playin around with it. I didn't have to chmod within the terminal on the phone...was that because I already did it through adb or because I shouldn't need to because it's the phones' terminal?

I am going to flash one of the new roms today at work...so I will re-do per PKO's instructions for test purposes.

23. meanm50

Hey BTW, do I still need the $15 HTML plan on my account if I am using this hack?

24. fritzel67

I am using this fix (u2nl and autostart) and no, I don't have an type of HTML data plan..just the $40/mo plan with unlimited web.

Also, you will indeed need to reapply this fix after flashing ROM's.

25. dabin

dabin New Member