Eris GPS on laptopGeneral

Last Updated:

1. metzy75

metzy75 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello, quick question, we are doing a projet in my computer class today and we are useing this program to find wifi networks called InSSIDER. My question is there any way to use the gps on the phone on my computer???

Advertisement
  2. Chopstick2U

Chopstick2U Well-Known Member

1. Enable GPS on your Eris
    2. Turn on/open laptop
    3. Open Google Maps and go to "My Location"
    4. Place Eris on laptop
    5. Now you know your laptop's exact location!

Sorry... I have no idea how to help you.

3. metzy75

+1 for effort and creativity!

4. icomeanon

icomeanon Well-Known Member

it sounds like what you're asking is if you can use the eris's gps to track/locate your laptop? correct me if i'm wrong.

if i'm not wrong, then no, there isnt. the issue there is hardware - your laptop most likely doesn't have a gps built in, meaning it has no way to contact the satellites. there MAY be some sort of add-on, like a lo-jack for computers (seem to remember something like this a few years back), but without the proper hardware, software wont do the job (as far as i know). there are, i believe, usb gps units.

5. metzy75

The software has this gps feature that it can use to geo locate the wifi networks in relation to your position. basically Can i tether the GPS on the phone to the laptop??

6. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Why not just cut out the middle man (laptop) and use an app from the market?

Wi-Fi Finder

I loled

7. Chopstick2U

Chopstick2U Well-Known Member

Cuz it's a project for a class...

Oh wait! Just change the icon for Wi-finder to an image of your face looking very un-lost and then it will be unmistakably your own work! Guaranteed A++!

8. gpa111

gpa111 Well-Known Member

I looked Into this for a project as well. The conclusion I came to was that the phone would have to be rooted and you would have to write your own program to send the loc data to It. Or another idea I had was to send the gps information to the computer over text or gchat. At any rate you wouod have to code your own program to send that information.

9. icomeanon

icomeanon Well-Known Member

if all you need is your phone's gps location on your computer, theres an app for that.

mobile defense does that

10. varkie

varkie Well-Known Member

i think what he means is can he teather the phone to a laptop like you can with a handheld gps device and use it in mapping software. and i have no clue.

11. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

I know what your talking about, sending the nam data or whatever its called to your pc. Basically turning the eris into a gps receiver for the laptop. Unfortunately no there isn't any way to do it unless you made a app. GPS Gate for winmo does this but the dev seems to be gone.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

12. Blrfl

Blrfl Well-Known Member

Errr... I think what he's looking for is a way to plug the phone into a USB port on the computer and have an application running on the computer get position data from the phone's GPS.

I *think* I saw an app to do that in the Market once, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

--Mark

13. metzy75

Thanks for the replies guys. I knew it would be a long shot but I figured I would ask.