Eris has something the droid doesn't ... or can't do!?!?

Last Updated:

1. brnr17

brnr17 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

if anyone remembers i've posted for almost 2 months now on how to get an app that would turn off the "mobile network" (internet, and i believe texts) but still allow you to make a voice call. I was playing with a co-workers eris at work a couple days ago and he had 2 toggles that came with his phone. 1 for airplane mode and 1 for mobile network. Can the eris really be able to do this and the droid can't!?!?

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Entirely possible - remember, the Droid Eris is made by HTC, and has lot of their customizations to he Android OS. OTOH, the DROID is made by Motorola, and it is a customized ROM by Motorola.

Also, since the DROID is not furhter customized by VZW (whereas I would bet that the Eris is), you have all sorts of differences arising between the 2 phones.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, is the fact that the Droid Eris comes with Donut (Android 1.5). The DROID comes with Eclair (Android 2.0).

So, yeah, it is entirely possible (and probable) that the Droid Eris comes with features that the DROID does not.

However, this may also be a good starting point for a developer to incorporate that missing feature into the DROID via a 3rd party application....

3. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

Yes Eris does. And with data turned off, you can still send and recieve texts. You just need to turn data on if you want to see picture texts.

4. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

5. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

The "mobile network" toggle is unique to the Sense UI. I have it too, on my N1 running the Desire ROM.

However, you can do the same with APNDroid (free from the market). It may cause your 3G to no longer function after the toggle, but you can fix that by simply turning airplane mode on then off again.

6. brnr17

brnr17 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

im a little confused on what exactly APNDroid does. As far as i can tell from what people have said, it basically just keeps your apps from connecting to the network and updating/as well as shutting off your internet connection. It still allows your texts and voice calls ... is that correct?

7. Hegemony

Hegemony Well-Known Member

I don't think APNdroid works on CDMA networks. Don't know if there's an alternative. See the FAQ here, first "Bug FAQ" says no CDMA.