Eris in EgyptGeneral

Last Updated:

1. zigzackattack

zigzackattack Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I know the Eris is CDMA, and not quadband, but is there any way to get my phone to work in Egypt next year. I am going to be there for a year, and I was really hoping to get it unlocked or something to be able to use it abroad via Verizon roaming, or by switching it to Vodafone. Thanks, and I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. I have a very bad feeling that the answer is no.

Advertisement
  2. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

On the bright side you are right, the answer is no.;)

Since the rest of the world uses GSM a CDMA phone won't work over there, sorry.

3. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

wifi and the skype app when it drops :)

4. zigzackattack

zigzackattack Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Oh well... I guess I am back to my bb storm next year. There aren't any other Android phones that would be compatible abroad are there? Maybe one with sense? Any coming to the big v soon?

5. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

pending this HTCvs Apple thing works out im sure it`ll be verizon droid worldphones. the windows mobile samsung phone at verizon is a world phone (dont hit me for recommending winmo lmao!) :)

6. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

The original HTC Hero is a GSM phone and you could probably pick it up on ebay. The G1 and MyTouch are also GSM, but both lack Sense. I think they are all rooted though, so you could add a ROM with Sense to them. None of these will work on Verizon though.

7. JimmyRayBob

JimmyRayBob Well-Known Member

Verizon has a loaner program for phones. I don't know what kind of phones they have, and i don't know if you can get a loaner for a full year, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

8. Pitamakan

Pitamakan Well-Known Member

Financially, you'd be better off using the move as a way of getting out of any VZW contract you might have, and then signing up for a local service after you get there.

Oh, and get a Google Voice number if you can -- that would be very handy for a temporary expat.