Eris is coming to an end..

Last Updated:

1. adrenalinerush12

adrenalinerush12 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The new HTC phones are coming soon. And that means most of the devs are going to be working on new phones being rooted, etc. Are we ever gonna get root on the Eris? It's been so long. While I haven't contributed to the project, (because I wouldn't have a clue what to do), I don't understand why devs can't figure out a way.(Not that I'm doubting their abilities or putting them down, because I hear they work hard). EVERY Android phone is rooted except the Eris. I would have that luck to choose a phone that I can't root or install custom ROMS.

So my question, will there still be devs working on the Eris or are we probably never going to see root? Are they close? Is there still being work done? I feel like it's not getting any closer. No news coming out lately..

Advertisement
  2. Jayse

Jayse Well-Known Member

This would be good to know. I know the Eris is the baby of all Android phones, but shouldn't it more or less be the same process for rooting it? I don't know much about Android, but I've poked around in linux once or twice, and pretty much the commands and stuff for one build, will work with others.

3. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

If you want to get info from the devs about what they are doing and how things are going to their IRC channel.

Click the following link to learn instructions to get on IRC (and what it is)

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Started-with-IRC-(Internet-Relay-Chat)

When you get your "irc client", go to:

Server: irc.thefuzz4.net
    Channel: #Roottheeris

4. korben dallas

korben dallas Well-Known Member

HTC has spent more time patching the eris more than any other phone.

5. adrenalinerush12

adrenalinerush12 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I don't understand that? Why would they spend so much time patching the Eris? It's the Moto's little brother, and the Droid has root. It just seems like it should be the other way around.

6. alprazolam

HTC and Motorola are two separate companies who are using the same Android OS. HTC uses the Sense GUI and they have a reason to protect what is theirs. The Eris may be more entry level than the Moto Droid but the priority of each company to protect their phone's features rests with each respectively.

That said...I hope we see root! :D

7. Matlock

Matlock Well-Known Member

HTC will keep perfecting the Eris until it's pointless to do so with more advancements in technology for their devices. Eris is like a prototype for the future. Might as well get it right with the first time before kicking it with a newer model. But, I could be wrong. ^_^

8. alprazolam

I agree with this...

9. zimmatore

zimmatore Member

Just out of curiosity, what is the average lifespan for a phone? That is, from launch to being considered end of life. I got my Eris in December. I don't think it came out much before that. 6 months?