Eris is running very hot, battery depleting very quicklySupport

Last Updated:

1. gadgetmom88

gadgetmom88 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just got the Eris yesterday and am surprised at how fast the battery depletes. I'm an ex-iPhone user, so I'm used to living with lots of battery chargers (I had to charge my iPhone 2x/day), but the Eris was 100% charged this morning at 6am, and down to 20% by 9:30. My phone is sleeping 45% of the time, and I'm using Advanced Task Killer to kill apps regularly. More concerning is that the phone is very hot to the touch, is this normal?

Advertisement
  2. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

Phone hot - normal.

Ditch advanced task killer. If you must use something, use advanced task manager.

Is sleeping 45% representative of your use? If not, disable the native SMS application and download another.

Turn off bluetooth when not in use.

You should get a full day out of that.

There are a bunch of battery threads here, happy reading! :D

3. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

4. gadgetmom88

Every time I've checked my sleep time, it's been between 45 and 50%. Bluetooth is always off, GPS is always off, wifi is only on when I'm using it. I'll get rid of advanced task killer and try advanced task manager - I expect you have to use something to kill apps, right?

Anyone else, can you comment on the Eris running very hot?

5. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

mine gets hot on extended use but it is fairly normal, around 100F is not uncommon.

i use advanced task manager, the big debate and many people who are "up" on android tend to think there is absolutely no need at all for a task program because android knows how to handle the programs and memory on it's own.....

6. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

Every CDMA phone I have used has gotten hot on longer calls. It's been a while since I had one (forced Nextel then AT&T) but the first time I made a long call on this phone I thought, oh yeah, forgot about that.

It's better than the stupid feedback through every speaker in your house when using the other phone types. :p

7. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

Get used to the battery. Prior to my Eris I have had an iPhone and jailbroken iPhone 3GS with backgrounder since 07 when the first one came out. I was ok with the battery on both of those phones, but I have to charge my Eris several times a day, just get used to it and make sure you always have a charger available (I have to charge mine about every 4 hours of use)

8. gadgetmom88

Well, I think I fixed the issue. I uninstalled the task killer apps, installed Handcent and turned off notifications on the native SMS app. I also installed Power Manager. The phone has been off the charger for 3 hours now and I still have 71% of the battery left. That's long for my experience so far. Thanks for all the feedback!