• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris leaves me wishing.

That I had a phone!

As a pocket computer for checking emails............Great

"""""""""""""""""""""""""" getting directions........Fantastic

""""""""""""""""""""""""""" texting...................Peerless

""""""""""""""""""""""""" surfing the web......pretty good

"""""""""""""""""""""""""" as a telephone.........SUCKS!!!!!

SHOUTING AT THE PHONE NOW: WHEN I PUSH END CALL I MEAN END CALL NOW!!!!!!!! NOT AFTER WHILE!!

WHEN I WANT TO MAKE A CALL ERIS CANT KEEP UP WITH ME!!!!!!! COME ON FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!

There are some other issues as well.

Carry the phone in a pocket and have your bluetooth headset on......oh my, now your in trouble. phone wakes up in your pocket ... then you just bought 8000 shares of stock in a turd company because your keys were pressing all KINDS of software buttons down there in pocketville....

The Eris is the absolute worst "phone" I have ever had.

Hell, even that great big old bag phone I had 20 years ago was better at making plain old phone calls.

I think i'd take HTC updaing 2.1 to resolve Phone Lag issues rather than updating us to 2.2...2.3... or whatever is next.

I'd be more than happy to stay on 2.1 forever is the phone would just work like it should.

I get frustrated at times as well, but then I remember that this is more than a phone and are asking alot of this device to do many many things.

Upvote 0
Yup I have call log trimmer etc but I sometimes find that it slows me down as well if I want to make a call right after the one I just finished.

It lags a bit for me while cleaning my phone log so I uninstalled it and just decided to delete my phone log every night. (If I can remember to)

Upvote 0
Yup I have call log trimmer etc but I sometimes find that it slows me down as well if I want to make a call right after the one I just finished.

It lags a bit for me while cleaning my phone log so I uninstalled it and just decided to delete my phone log every night. (If I can remember to)

I am of the same mind wrt just about all maintenance apps out there; if it can be done by hand, on "maintenance day," each Sunday, then I won't bother with an application to add to the resources load.

Having said that, it appears that Advanced Task Killer accesses areas of the device I am not at this time able to, so it has a place on my phone for now.

Upvote 0
I'm telling you--I talked to Verizon, and they were like, "Gee... we don't have many people complaining about dialing/calling problems." They said if they have enough people complain, they will fix it, but until then, they won't make a bug fix for something that only a few people experience.

I went onto HTC's site and Verizon's and wrote a complaint about my phone dialer, and HTC and Verizon both contacted me hours later.

Upvote 0
Ok, I'm not a tech kind of person. What the heck is a slot? Do I have one? Why would I mess with it?

The slot cycle is the amount of time which transpires between tower polling by your phone as it awaits calls. The lower the slot cycle setting, the shorter the time and vice versa.

The "slot cycle index" is available for editing by dialing into a configuration menu, thus:

##778 then press the green "call" button and wait then select "edit mode" then enter six zeroes as the password then select "modem" then select "slot cycle index" then make your choice then click menu to confirm the choice.

Your phone will reboot.

Upvote 0
Frisco, is that Mr. Natural? I think I'm having a flashback.

No, it's a generic R. Crumb drawing (the "keep on truckin'" guy, one of the few not copywrited works of his).

Mr. Natural:

Mr-Natural.jpg

Reactions: bjanow
Upvote 0
What is the practical benefit of changing my slot cycle?

Your phone will check in with the cell towers more often, meaning if you have a phone call coming in, your phone will recognize that and receive it faster. For example, before I changed my slot cycle from 2 to 0, people would have two to three rings before I heard anything on my end, and many times it would go to voice mail before I really even had a chance to pick up my phone, see who is calling, and then answer it. Since changing the slot cycle to 0, I get the calls almost immediately and only have problems answering calls when I sit and think if I really want to talk to them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones