Eris-like phonesGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Kevkelsar

Kevkelsar Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

With all the excitement of the Incredible, EVO, Droid 2, Droid X, etc., I keep finding myself drooling over the internal specs of these phones, but once I see their physical size I just think, "Blah."

It seems like all these new phones are just getting bigger and bigger. I have a coworker who got the EVO and I couldn't stand having something so big in my pockets. And I will not use a carrying case and have my phone hanging from my hip (can't stand those...almost as nerdy/lame looking as people walking around with bluetooth headsets in their ear).

I LOVE the size of my Eris, and when I finally do upgrade, I'm hoping for a phone that is very similar in overall size but with the added juice. Problem is, I haven't seen anything similar in size to the Eris mentioned that has recently been released or is in development. Has anyone else?

Advertisement
  2. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

That fact/idea was a huge determining factor back in November when I was making my decision between the Eris and the Motorolla Droid. Seems like they're all turning into "boat anchors". (That is the way someone else referred to the Moto Droid a while back).

3. LED

LED Well-Known Member

I bought my Eris a few weeks before the Incredible was announced... the Eris form factor kept me from returning it for the Incredible.

4. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

The LG Ally has a 3.2 in screen, but is a bit thicker than the Eris because of the keyboard.

The Dell Aero will have a 3.5" screen, but it is for At&t

The HTC Aria is actually supposed to be the smallest with a 2.8" screen, but also for At&t.

I think I read at one point that the HTC Scorpion is going to have a 3.5" screen so it may be close to Eris size.

Kevkelsar likes this.
  5. Kevkelsar

Boat anchors...that's a fair description. ;)

Thanks, OTD, I will look at the HTC Scorpion.

Although, in my dream world, the ideal phone would have the form factor of the Eris, come with vanilla Android like the N1 and others (no Sense, MotoBlur, etc.), and the power of the EVO (including LTE with Verizon). I think I'm asking too much. :)

6. Gink

Gink Well-Known Member

You are totally speaking my language Kevkelsar...

7. OfTheDamned

At this point, you probably are. I have a feeling that we won't be seeing too many of the new super phones coming out in an Eris form factor.

8. Gink

Gink Well-Known Member

I've been googling future VZW android phones for weeks and this is the first I've even heard of the Scorpion. Obviously I'm looking in the wrong places.

OTD: any idea when the Scorpion will make it's debut?

9. AdmSuvvuk

AdmSuvvuk Well-Known Member

But at least the Inc is a pretty boat anchor than the droid ;)

10. xx_bishop_xx

True. I'm reasonably sure it's a fantastic phone; there's just something about it I can't quite put my finger on.

11. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Lately I've been imagining an "Eris 2," same animal exactly with the notable exception of Snapdragon and a 1500 battery.

But, alas, it is not to be.

If I want that processor I'm going to have to get away from the beauty of the Eris and go for one of the phones talked about here and there.. :eek:

12. xx_bishop_xx

Plus sequels are rarely as good as the originals.

13. OfTheDamned

Most of the info out now is just ninja info.

HTC Scorpion
    OS - Android 2.2 (No mention of Sense, yet)
    Processor - QSD8672, a dual core Cortex A8 model with two cores that can run at up to 1.5GHz and built using a 45nm process
    Screen - I have seen 3.7" and 3.5", but the PPI is supposed to be 240.
    Release - Q4 2010

14. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

15. Frisco

Well, Palm took that chance with the Pre and Pixi plus.

The reviews of both of those seem to favor them over their predecessors.

But it is rare that a true change will come to a phone while leaving it with basically the same name. Blackberry even goes from Curve to Bold to Tour, etc..

.. more etc.. ;)

16. xx_bishop_xx

But Airplane vs Ariplane 2? Blair Witch Project....?

17. Frisco

I'm surprised you did not bring up rooting and over clocking as a method of creating an "Eris 2."

18. xx_bishop_xx

Nice idea, but I think that would be an "Eris Too". ;)

**edit** That was dumb, I'm aware of that.

19. OfTheDamned

Godfather vs Godfather Part 2 (I honestly view them both as masterpieces though)

Star Wars vs Emprire Strikes Back

Dawn of the Dead vs Night of the Living Dead

Alien vs Aliens

Terminator vs Terminator 2

Batman Begins vs Dark Knight

The Road Warrior vs Mad Max 2

Star Trek vs The Wrath of Khan

Evil Dead vs Evil Dead 2 Vs Army of Darkness

20. xx_bishop_xx

Indeed, a great selection. Nice work, I knew I was in for that. Damn, but my point was not completely in vain...I did say "rarely", and there just has to be a list at least equal to that one of lousy sequels! Ace Ventura?

21. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Some may view this as heresy, but, in this case, the sequel was far better than the original. Sadly, it went downhill from there - like a cliff for the last three.

22. Kevkelsar

If I could root, the idea of this thread wouldn't have passed my train of thought for another 5 or 6 months. Root would allow me to keep the sexiness that is the Eris, boost processor speed, increase overall performance of the phone, and get rid of Sense. Basically, it would only be missing the LTE technology for when Verizon rolls that out. /sigh...leakers remorse hits once again. :(

23. Frisco

I admit being tempted to root for just the processor increase alone, along with getting rid of the proprietary apps loaded into the device.

That temptation is washed away when I realize my Eris is fine as-is, and that at some point in the future I will have an upgrade to a new device that likewise captures my fancy.

I will, however, examine carefully the apps that come with that new phone this time; that did not occur to me during my in-store testing of the Eris and the Droid and a few other candidates at the time.

24. ericDylan

ericDylan Well-Known Member

though i haven't actually had the evo or inc. in my pocket i really like the look of them. i just like the fact that the screen takes up most of the front of the phone. that is probably the only thing i do not like about the eris. i wish the phone had less free space on the front. but i do not think the inc is worth the retail price i would have to pay!

25. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

Frisco, just now noticed these recents post on this thread (for some reason, I'm not getting the email notifications anymore :confused:).

Anyway, +1 to all of your points above. I love my Eris (size, functionality, speed, aesthetics, etc.). Root makes a little snappier--nothing to write home about, though (not sure if 2.1 (vs. 1.5) itself isn't somewhat responsible for some of that).

Android and smartphones were all new to me in early Nov. '09 and I chose the Eris over the M-Droid out of necessity (a web app I needed didn't work on the Droid (does now though)). In hindsight, I did make the right decision with the Eris (I say that now that we have 2.1 and am rooted--I felt a little differently whilst we (well most of us :D) were on 1.5)).

My next device will be well-researched and thoroughly hands-on tested. I have learned so much on this forum and from my experience so far in using my Eris.

Cheers!

P.S. I did a little more pixel-scrubbing on the avatar you cleaned-up for me, w/a little color tweak...what do ya think? :p