• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris Likes/Dislikes after a week of use

D

Deleted User

After doing a lot of research, I decided to go with the Eris over the Moto Droid. I think I am glad that I did. When I played with them in the store, the Eris just felt better to me. It was more easily pocket-able and just "felt right" haha. A match made in heaven, I guess. So anyway, here's a few of my observations:

- The battery isn't as bad as a feared. I can get through a full day pretty easily, even under fairly heavy use. If I turn off Mobile Networking when I'm not using it and am using my phone an average amount, the battery is still green when I go to bed at night. Considering the amount of work the phone is doing in the background, I think the battery life is alright.

- The Sense UI is fantastic. I mean, I just like to look at my desktop! It scrolls very smoothly and having 7 home screens is awesome since certain widgets, such as the Twitter one, take up an entire home screen.

- There's virtually no lag on the home screens, and just a little lag when using the app menu or launching applications. It's really not enough to bother me, especially considering it's light-years ahead of my previous phone. It seems that the Moto Droid is the opposite: Very snappy when opening programs, kind of stutters on the home screen.

- Internet browsing is fast and smooth, but scrolling is choppier than on an iPhone. I did a test with a friend's iPhone for internet use. My page loaded just a hair faster, but the iPhone clearly has advantage when zooming and scrolling. It's just liquid smooth. The Eris is still very usable and easy to navigate with.

- The camera has excellent detail for a smartphone, although pictures can easily be blurred, even in decent light. It takes the best pictures when the camera and subject are pretty much still. Even so, it's a better camera than I would expect from a typical smartphone. The video is quite good, as well.

Lastly, some of my favorite features and apps: Shazam, Meebo IM (For Facebook and AOL chat), 3G Watchdog (Tracks 3G usage), Live Football Scores (self-explanatory), Voice Search, Pandora, Google Listen, the Twitter widget, Task Panel (allows closing of background apps), ShopSavvy, Calorie Counter, and Google Maps (can't wait until it gets navigation!)

Please let me know if you agree/disagree with anything said above, and I'd love to hear your own experiences!

Nate

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones