• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris Locking Up !

Everybody with lock-up problem, try "menu" button instead of swiping. It worked for me. Use it until fix comes in...

My gf's phone has locked up on her multiple times...nothing works except pulling the battery. Actually she said it has been extremely sluggish from the "lock" screen a few times but eventually worked but just now it was completely froze. Had to yank the battery, it did this before she even added any apps the first time so I'm highly doubtful of it being caused by 3rd party apps.

On the flip side I have a bunch of 3rd party apps on my phone and so far nary a hiccup from it...hopefully it stays that way.

Mine had been locking up after the update. I think I found the solution to mine atleast. I had purchased Advanced Task Manager (Arron La) and had it running in background. I went ahead and uninstalled and now no more lock ups. Before the update I had no problems with this task killer.

I have ATM Free on my phone and have had zero issues...gf has it on her phone and has had issues. I don't think it is that app specifically as we both have the OTA update but only one of us is having problems...so far.

Upvote 0
Does the lock up discussed include a message similar to "the process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly"? I had this happen to me three times after the update. I did the hard reset each time and didn't want to wait for the fourth time, so I exchanged the phone for a new eris on Friday. I downloaded apps this weekend and got the phone set up the way I want it. Then I switched the slot index, allowed the phone to reboot, and now I have the same issues. My phone gives me the same message when I press the "phone" button, rendering my phone to paperweight status. Another message that comes up reads "process com.google.process.gapps has stopped unexpectedly". It knocks out my service. The only option I have is to do yet another hard reset, then activate my phone again. Ihave just about had it with the eris.

Am I experiencing the same problem as everyone else or is mine a different issue?

Those aren't things that should require a hard reset. I definitely have had both of those errors, with very specific apps. I wish I could remember which ones they were.

In either of those cases, taking out/putting back in the battery (soft reset) should have sufficed.

Either way, some Android users have found this to happen with some of the syncing abilities. I have my Gmail and Contacts from Google NOT set to automatically sync. Why do I need my contacts to sync regularly? I don't add several per day. I can do it manually.

Android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly - Android Community Forums

Upvote 0
My Droid Eris only locked up two times the day after I purchased it. After that, it has never locked up. Although for some reason, my aunt's Droid Eris locks up everyday and she is getting frustrated. She does talk on the phone a lot and after the call ends, the phone locks up. I think she went back to using her 2005 Motorola flip phone. What should I do to help her keep her HTC Droid Eris?

Upvote 0
just had my first lock up this morning. I woke up the phone using the power button. It didn't immediately respond so I hit the power button again. After a delayed response it woke up, but I could not swipe to unlock or hit menu to unlock (none of the soft keys were lit up). I waited to see if the screen would turn off and it didn't. I had to remove the battery and restart the phone. ugh, I really hope HTC is making some major improvements with their version of the next Android release. I came from the Mytouch 3G, and while the service wasn't comparable to T-Mobile, at least the handset was fairly solid.

Upvote 0
After my update my phone starting freezing up at random times, different apps....had to do the battery pull....It was very frustrating to say the least...Still was in my 30 day period and figured I had nothing to loose but do a hard reset...yes it is a pain to tweak your phone again...but since the hard reset(which the update is still there) I have had no freeze-ups...I am once again enjoying my ERIS....Give it a try...What do you have to loose...

Upvote 0
I did the manual update and still had that lock-up this morning.

I had the same lock up issues before the upgrade, the unlock screen would stick or completely freeze... I did the manual ROM update, which was simple and very user friendly and the issues stopped. Sounds like a lot of people who waited for verizons OTA experienced problems.

PS: I have a decent amount of 3rd party aps

Upvote 0
My wife's Eris locked up 2 days in a row now, right after using K9 email. She had to pull the battery. She's doing to uninstall K9 to see if that helps. I don't have K9 so I can't help out there. Basically she needed something for Yahoo. The HTC email doesn't work 1/2 the time for her and it only works like 1/99 for me. Always the Illegal username or something like that, I gave up. She used K9 for a few weeks just fine, but the past 2 days something has locked up the phone right after using it.

Upvote 0
Just sent an e-mail to HTC. Got my first freeze up last night, second this morning, have had the update since last Saturday. Hopefully either HTC or VZW will address this issue, as I'm not about to hold on to a phone that locks up while being used as a phone.

I have to agree with this assessment. I'm trying to be patient for the 2.0 update, but I'm getting lockups every day. I can't confirm, but it seems to occur when I'm using Google Voice via the Eris and I hang up using the touch button on the phone (rather than the physical button)

I love Sense, but I think most of these bugs are with Sense. I think that anytime you have an additional software layer you are stuck with additional bugs. I think that the benefits of Sense outweigh the bugs (at least as comparing to stock Android 1.5), but I can't have a phone this unstable.

The kick in the n*** is that I switched from the Moto Droid because I will never use the physical keyboard in the Droid so I didn't want the extra size and play in the slider that came from the physical keyboard. So, I'm not even sure what I would switch so.

I think I'm going to have to suck it up and deal with the reboots until the upgrade comes out in late Jan. If that does not make the phone more stable, I'll eat ETF and jump carriers to T Mobile so I can get the Nexus One (unlocked)

Upvote 0
have had the phone for a week and had to yank the battery almost every day. got a new phone and so far it only froze once at the lock screen

My phone I purchase on 12/4/09 locked up 3 times in one week. I replaced it, and so far, so good.
I did report it to HTC-- as the site someone one this thread provided.
I was able to send the report without the SN,

I do LOVE the Eris.

My original phone locked up about three or four times a week. So far since I've had my replacement.. no lock ups. Go figure.

Upvote 0
Hi, new Android and HTC Eris user here.

I've had my Eris for about 5 days now and already had two lock ups - once last night and one about half an hour ago. Both times it seemed to occur when pressing the hardware end-call button while phone was transitioning into sleep mode. Last night it was stuck in sleep mode and wouldn't wake until I pulled the battery. This morning it froze on the lock screen like everyone else here.

I'll try relaxing my itchy trigger finger on the End Call button and see if the the lock ups occur less frequently. However I'm hoping there's at least another OTA update before the 2.0 release that handles this as well as addresses the YouTube App issue.

Upvote 0
Yay! I've joined the Club!

Started for me yesterday, 2 lock ups. Now today another 2 lockups.

Weird thing is that I got the Dec11th update a while ago, I haven't started seeing lockups until now.

It mainly happens when I try to wake my phone up, I hit the END button but nothing happens, I hit it again and the phone wakes up but then it LOCKS right there. Battery Pull time.

Worst part is that the first lockup yesterday was right when I was touting Android to a friend of mine and I said "Here let me show you" BAM LOCKED! I was very ashamed lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones