Eris Night Pics?General

Last Updated:

1. Since the Eris doesn't have a flash is there anyway to take good night/dark photos? All the good "kodak moments" happen at night.

Advertisement
  2. Psilo

Psilo Well-Known Member

Carry around a key chain LED flashlight :)
  3. Lexie*420

Lexie*420 Well-Known Member

Haha. im not sure i tried messing with the settings a little bit but nothing made it big enough difference, i did not see a night mode though don't know if the eris has it.
  4. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

I change the white balance to Cloudy and it works a little better.

Generally poor low-light photos though. GREAT high light photos.
  5. MOS95B

MOS95B Well-Known Member

I had a camera phone with a flash at one time. Worked as well as tits on a bull....

If you need to take night pics, I'm afraid you need to buy a camera. They make a lot of little, decent-to-nice quality ones now....
  6. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

the light from the video camera is usually enough for me to get some decent shots :D
  7. BOMBO

BOMBO Active Member

^^^ I see what you did there...and I like it!
  8. truelove79

truelove79 Well-Known Member

The Eris's camera is easily one of the worst I've ever seen on any phone, EVER. It will never take good night shots as it doesn't have a flash so the "shutter speed" is always very high. The best you can do is crank up the ISO setting as high as it can go. This increases the sensitivity of the "film" allowing the sensor to take in more light while the "shutter" is open. Though if you leave the ISO setting on Auto, it should do this for you anyway.

Either way, you're never going to get good photos from the Eris. The best you will get will be in very good sunlight, outside, and if you hold the phone very still while taking the photo.
  9. theacousticprophet

theacousticprophet Well-Known Member

I dunno about that. You tell me.

The first shot was taken in my front yard at the tail end of a sunset. Not exactly "very good sunlight".

The next shot was taken on a cross-country airplane flight. Once again, planes not being known for having the greatest lighting conditions.

**Both have been edited down substantially to get them to fit in the forums regulations.
    Full size images here:
    http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/4954/imag0043i.jpg
    http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3664/imag0032m.jpg

Attached Files:

AdmSuvvuk likes this.
  10. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

Those are beautiful shots.

Especially the sapphire one. Mmmmmm. Sapphire.
  11. theacousticprophet

theacousticprophet Well-Known Member

Thanx, pko!

That's how I roll!!

*Nostrovia*!

...or *Na zdorovye* If you wanna be techinical.
  12. zantopad

zantopad Active Member

Try setting your ISO to 100 or 200... this should get rid of noise in low light pictures, but will force the camera to use slightly longer exposure times to compensate...
  13. MOS95B

MOS95B Well-Known Member

I think this is probably the best camera I've ever had on a phone. But, I also realize, it is a camera on a phone. I am not going to win any awards with photos taken from my phone. It is meant for snapshots. And in that field it does an awesome job.

I have a real camera for when I need a really super picture (now I need a photographer to take a super pic). For when I just "need a quick shot of this!", I have my phone...
  14. jdailey1981

jdailey1981 Well-Known Member

My camera is broke. Here is why......

[​IMG]
  15. frickingphil

frickingphil Well-Known Member

Um...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To be on topic though:
    The Eris' camera IS horrible in low light. And I agree, I have yet to see an LED flash that didn't completely blow the picture out, however, it's still better to have it and not need it than vice versa, and sometimes I wish the Eris had one.

Anecdotally, I was able to take a picture of something at night by having four of my friends shine their phones' Flashlight apps (white screen) on the subject. Horribly murky but it got the job done, and gave us a good laugh or two.
  16. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

If your taking photos at night, fluorescent light bulbs suck for lighting while taking a picture with the Eris. Maybe those new LED light bulbs will be much better.
  17. frickingphil

True, but those three pics I have up there were taken w/ fluorescent light only.

If the colors look odd or wrong, set the white balance manually to the type of light you're shooting in. The Eris tends to be inaccurate with detecting white balance (and fluorescent flicker sometimes) properly.
  18. AdrianC14

Oh I see. Did you take the pictures with only with one fluorescent light bulb? Because most of the rooms in my house only have 1 fluorescent light bulb in each lamp to save money.
  19. frickingphil

Oh, no, I used multiple light sources for each photo to light them properly, but all the light sources were fluorescent (and same color temperature)
  20. AdrianC14

Well my Eris sucks at taking a picture with only 1 fluorescent light bulb.
  21. frickingphil

A single fluorescent bulb is a rather dim light source for any camera. The camera will boost the ISO and lengthen the shutter speed to try and compensate, thus giving you an adequately bright picture, but with the consequence of susceptibility to blur due to camera shake, and added noise.

This is true for every single digital camera. Some cameras are simply better at higher ISO's than other cameras (DSLR's vs. point-and-shoots) and when they compensate, it's not as noticeable.

Cameras in phones have a huge inherent disadvantage (the lens is roughly 3/4 the size of a peanut...compare that to an SLR lens to give you size ideas) and so quality will naturally suffer. Shooting in low-light is another disadvantage, and by then the camera's struggling to gather enough light through a tiny lens onto a tiny sensor to give you your picture...the little guy's got a LOT of work cut out for him =P
  22. Nice Exif job there lol

There is no way the gin photo was taken with the eris
    But you already knew that

nice try!
  23. markdmac

markdmac Well-Known Member

I wonder if there can't be an external flash that attaches to the usb port? Sounds like a great 3rd party product opportunity.
  24. jdailey1981

jdailey1981 Well-Known Member

Bad thing about that is who is gonna carry a flash around with them? It is rumored the blackberry curve's 3.2 mp cam is better than our 5 mp came.
  25. markdmac

markdmac Well-Known Member

I'm probably a big enough geek that I might carry it in my computer bag.