Eris not syncing Google ContactsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Chimpie

Chimpie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

For the last couple of days my Eris hasn't been syncing with Google Contacts. No settings have been changed. It just keeps trying to sync. The other day it drained my battery while at work.

I have had to stop it manually or it will just keep trying to sync. When I try to manually sync it through Setting it still says it's 'currently experiencing problems'.

Thoughts?

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

I've seen that behavior from time to time in Contacts. Google has a spotty history with that; it seems to come and go in rashes.

Now I do not have syncing set to auto, and just sync and refresh a few times during the day to avoid the constant syncing effort burning down the battery.

3. ErisDroid?

ErisDroid? Well-Known Member

What kind of errors are you getting? Can you send your self an e-mail and receive it on the phone, on your g-mail account? Sent from a computer possibly even a different e-mail address. You might need to re-do your g-mail settings. That's possible but a pain, you shouldn't have to do a data wipe or factory reset though (maybe worst case scenario).

4. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

This happened to me a few months ago - I was getting some sort of error in contact syncing, and it kept endlessly retrying, sapping the battery pretty quickly.

Other people in the past have reported issues with Facebook contact syncing; see, for example, here, here and here for their solution.

This was not my issue, however, and if it is not a Facebook sync issue for you, either, I believe what I did was this (right now I am not running my Eris with an HTC-based ROM, so I can't tell for sure if these are all the same for your phone):

- Go into Google contacts in your PC browser (not on the phone.) "More actions" button, export, choose to export all of your contacts to Google CSV format. (Just in case...) This will download a file that you can import later, if you need to.

- Settings->Accounts & Sync, turn off background sync

- Settings->Applications->Manage applications. Wait for it to refresh. Go to "Contacts storage" and click the button to clear data.

- Reboot the phone (that may not be necessary.) Turn on background sync. Let Google resync complete. If it does complete, check to see if you have your contacts back on the phone. If they are all gone, and also all gone back on Google on a PC browser, import them from that CSV file and let the phone sync them back.

Hopefully, that is what I did. I should have taken notes, but I do know that I did fix it without a factory reset.

(Note: I just did one more search, and it seems that this will work.)

Also, if you have any phone-only contacts, they will be lost; if you do, let me know, and I'll see if I can dig up a way to back them up before you wipe data first.

172driver likes this.
  5. rxfilr

rxfilr Well-Known Member

I have had this problem in the past, and just recently in the last two days. I cleared data in contacts like above, but it doesn't always fix it. I usually just turn off the contacts sync until later in the day or at night. It fixed it self the last few times. The only common thing I have found at least that I can recall is that it usually happens when I edit a contact on my phone. But I can't say for 100% that's what causes it. Just my observation.

6. varkie

varkie Well-Known Member

I had the same problem and none of the posted fixes worked for me. I flashed a new ROM, kaosfroyo v28, and it was working. So I went back to the old ROM (a rooted 2.1 with just eng. tools installed) and it wasn't working again. So I permanently moved to kaosfroyo and haven't had a problem since (now on kaosfroyo v32).