• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris on Cricket Wireless

I'm about to make the dive again and see what happens. Going to try to just start it up with any old .prl and not do *228 and try to make a call.

But I know what's going to happen. I'm going to hear that hyper-fast busy signal sound, like it's not connected.

I'm just going to turn off the phone that's *currently* activated on the Cricket number, then go through the PST process in ##778, put a .prl in place, menu > Committ Modifications > Reboot...

and what you're saying is, it should *just work* at this point.

I've been to that point before and it just *doesn't*. We'll see this time I guess?

(fwiw, I'm trying 1042 first).

Upvote 0
Used 1042.prl, *228 didn't work. Tried dialing a number, and just get the fast-paced busy signal sound. No good.

All settings possible from the PST Settings thread put in, including Home SID. Does the NID have to be something else? I just left it at 65535. Seems like Network ID should be different for Cricket?

Also, fail in 38515, 1050 prl's. I gotta be missing something. Always a fast busy signal, any attempt at calling anything, except *611 calls Cricket's service and so does *228....

And let me clarify. *228 doesn't work = *228 works, the recording from the Cricket guy is there, he says to not turn off your phone while it's being programmed, and then as soon as the music starts, it stops, and you're disconnected.

Are you getting the same experience with *228 or are you not able to dial it at all?

Upvote 0
Thanks, SirSlayer.

I noticed you didn't fill in some of the M.IP settings that are in the PST thread like Simple IP instead of Mobile IP Preferred, and the timeouts at 2000ms, and 30.

No luck though. I even put in your SID instead of mine, with your PRL. If you're right about your earlier posts, all I really need is the buffalo PRL and I'll be all set. The phone will just work without *228.

Won't I get 0 bars or reception with a non-working .prl file though?

I just find it strange that it all doesn't just *work*. Baffling. My g/f is horribly disappointed that I'm not able to make this work! Still trying.

Upvote 0
Thanks, SirSlayer.

I noticed you didn't fill in some of the M.IP settings that are in the PST thread like Simple IP instead of Mobile IP Preferred, and the timeouts at 2000ms, and 30.

No luck though. I even put in your SID instead of mine, with your PRL. If you're right about your earlier posts, all I really need is the buffalo PRL and I'll be all set. The phone will just work without *228.

I just find it strange that it all doesn't just *work*. Baffling. My g/f is horribly disappointed that I'm not able to make this work! Still trying.

Tell her we will get it working. We just need that damn PRL file and all would be grand. That's the major component then the rest will work. I can't believe the generic PRLS wont work... that sucks. Did you try 1050? from Downloads | The Cricket Mafia ? I know 1050 worked for my winmo phone and its not market specific. Ahh I just read that you did try 1050...dammit ....hmmmm

Upvote 0
It's bothersome. I'd assume that I wouldn't get 3-4 bars of reception if the PRL isn't working. But with ANY of the PRL's I get good reception when the phone boots up. Just acts like a random unactivated Cricket phone. The old one she's getting rid of has been turned off all day, so it's not like two different phones with the same number are trying to be on the network.

Upvote 0
It's bothersome. I'd assume that I wouldn't get 3-4 bars of reception if the PRL isn't working. But with ANY of the PRL's I get good reception when the phone boots up. Just acts like a random unactivated Cricket phone. The old one she's getting rid of has been turned off all day, so it's not like two different phones with the same number are trying to be on the network.

Well for GF sake, did any of the Cricket Resellers say they can flash it? I think they might charge like $40 but you would at least get it working for her. Then figure out a way to extract the PRL so that later you can program it yourself. I will be doing that ones the Update is here.

Upvote 0
Thanks, SirSlayer.

I use Mobile IP because I have the broadband modem set up. If I didn't have that i would have set that to simple IP so that at least the browser would work. Also if you are setting up without broadband then you would want to put the Cricket 10 digit number in place of the broadband 10 digit number throughout the programming.

Upvote 0
I tried 5244, which a guy on the Howard forums says always lets him *228 in buffalo (he's done the Touch Pro2 and others)... I just don't get why it won't work.

I assume you have Roaming? I wonder if you just have to let them try.

and none of the places I managed to get a hold of will flash. They all send it to a place in Albany, NY (across the state). I'd even bet Ohio is closer!

Upvote 0
Yeah, it's $65 and they send it out to Albany. I don't understand why they don't send anything to Ohio anyway. But at that rate, we could take a day trip to Kettering, OH, where we already know this works, tell them this is our new home, get Cricket working, then drive home. LOL.

So to be clear here, all you did was, with your OLD cricket phone, get the numbers, TURN IT OFF, then program your PST in your Eris and put the right PRL in, Reboot, and bam, your phone works?

The phone that's on there right now has web-only internet (not full access), and I'm basically doing this on my own, rather than live on the phone with customer service. Should I just see if they can help?

Upvote 0
OK so I know we're close!

Randomly, a text at 5:10 went to BOTH phones, as both were turned on at the same time.

Sending from the Eris doesn't work though, it seems. I haven't been able to receive ANY other texts besides that one, as I've turned off the Old cricket phone since. I wonder if I turn the old one on, if they'll both get the text?

It seems that calls should be coming through too if texts are coming through? Calls go straight to voice mail!

Should it just sit overnight, and maybe it will be connected? I'm using prl 5244, which someone on another forum said let them *228 on Cricket (but won't let me!)

Also, does your Eris let you know that you have Voice Mails?
I left her number one, but it hasn't shown up on the Eris yet. Rebooted. Nothing.

Upvote 0
The only thing not working on mine is mms. My old phone would still get texts too lol and you got something right now that sms works sort of. So, I think just verify u have all the right settings for the network, you did get the correct 10 digit number (not your phone numer) for the phone? and the only things I have messed with on mine were from ryans post.

Upvote 0
Update, I called my gf's phone, with them both turned on, and the ERIS rang! But if we try to make a call from the Eris, fast-busy signal, and if we try to send a text, it's undelivered. But all texts go to both phones, and the calls seem to prefer the Eris when they're incoming! I'm going to see what happens if we just leave the Old cricket phone off overnight, and reboot the Eris a few times. It might be OK!?

Anyway, yeah I've set everything up, to a T, the way his post requires. I called Cricket to get the MIN number, that has the same area code, but is a different number, for the PST settings. I've got everything, as far as I can discern. There isn't anything that I'm going "uhh I'm not sure what to put here.... I'll just leave it". No, everything. 100%.

I deal with detail in configuring software every day at work. I'm not missing anything. It's the biggest part of what I do, career-wise.

I am curious what I really need QPST for, if I've gotten everything figured out. I just REALLY want to get that .prl file. Once again, I think a guy on the Howard forums has it, and I posted asking for it. She's going to see if she can, specifically, DE-activate her old phone, and see if that doesn't help the Eris take control of the phone number. I'm sure that it doesn't help if they're on at the same time, but I would have hoped the Eris would have taken over, the 5 times today that the other phone was OFF for an hour or more.

Upvote 0
Update, I called my gf's phone, with them both turned on, and the ERIS rang! But if we try to make a call from the Eris, fast-busy signal, and if we try to send a text, it's undelivered. But all texts go to both phones, and the calls seem to prefer the Eris when they're incoming! I'm going to see what happens if we just leave the Old cricket phone off overnight, and reboot the Eris a few times. It might be OK!?

Anyway, yeah I've set everything up, to a T, the way his post requires. I called Cricket to get the MIN number, that has the same area code, but is a different number, for the PST settings. I've got everything, as far as I can discern. There isn't anything that I'm going "uhh I'm not sure what to put here.... I'll just leave it". No, everything. 100%.

I deal with detail in configuring software every day at work. I'm not missing anything. It's the biggest part of what I do, career-wise.

I am curious what I really need QPST for, if I've gotten everything figured out. I just REALLY want to get that .prl file. Once again, I think a guy on the Howard forums has it, and I posted asking for it. She's going to see if she can, specifically, DE-activate her old phone, and see if that doesn't help the Eris take control of the phone number. I'm sure that it doesn't help if they're on at the same time, but I would have hoped the Eris would have taken over, the 5 times today that the other phone was OFF for an hour or more.

Yea sounds like you are real close. If you can get that PRL file I think you will have it. I never used the QPST for anything. That's funny I am a Software QA Engineer in RL, so detail is very important to me as well. ROFL you make it I break it!!! Anyways I hope it works out and I am watching for updates with popcorn hoping for some more positive news....lol I have been searching quite a bit and even tried contacting one of my inside contacts with LEAP (Crickets parent company) to see if I get get the PRL from them. No responses yet. If you don't have it by tomorrow I think I might know someone else that isn't available today that could get for me, (if they are still working there).

Upvote 0
I really appreciate your help, man.

I KNOW I'm so close, it's killing me!

I'm almost desperate enough to find an old LG EnV I have laying around, flash it to Cricket with a custom ROM if I can find one, do *228 to get the latest .prl, use LG Tools to extract the .prl, and then put that file on the Eris.

I'll do it tomorrow if it comes to it. I have LG Tools on my computer, which does a great job with a lot of things, including extracting the PRL.

Upvote 0
I can't find a charger for the EnV, even though I have the USB cable (it's not _powered_ usb).

As soon as I find it, I'll make it happen! Very Frustrating!

We left the Eris on overnight. But, the Eris doesn't seem to get any calls on its own. If both phones are on, calls go to the Eris. If just the Eris is on, it goes straight to Voice Mail.

Fail.

Upvote 0
OUCH, and I just talked to her.

After leaving the Eris on all night:

When you try to answer on the Eris, when it rings, it just says Signal Dropped, and it hangs up immediately, and now she can't send any texts anywhere! (she's PISSED!)

I told her to leave the Eris off, then *228 on her old Samsung, and it should clear things up, for now. I hope!

Upvote 0
OUCH, and I just talked to her.

After leaving the Eris on all night:

When you try to answer on the Eris, when it rings, it just says Signal Dropped, and it hangs up immediately, and now she can't send any texts anywhere! (she's PISSED!)

I told her to leave the Eris off, then *228 on her old Samsung, and it should clear things up, for now. I hope!

Oh man that sucks, "goes into hiding" Damned PRL!!!!! someone has to have one for that market.

Upvote 0
I'm also looking into why *228 isn't working. She mentioned that when you activate a new phone that its $15 or $30 at the Cricket store.

I wonder if you have to pay the fee, for them to allow *228 on a different phone?

When you called them, were you converting from another phone, or setting up your number for the first time?

I bet we just have to pay? *228 has no reason to not work

Upvote 0
I'm also looking into why *228 isn't working. She mentioned that when you activate a new phone that its $15 or $30 at the Cricket store.

I wonder if you have to pay the fee, for them to allow *228 on a different phone?

When you called them, were you converting from another phone, or setting up your number for the first time?

I bet we just have to pay? *228 has no reason to not work

I already had a flashed phone (HTC Diamond) on Cricket. I never *228. I also had the correct PRL and just updated through ##778. So under my cricket profile it says customer provided equipment. I had purchased my diamond from a cricket reseller so it was already set up. After that as long as I had the correct PRL I could flash roms all day and just program the numbers in. So for the eris I just did the same programming changed the right numbers (thanks to ryans post) and still never *228ed the phone. That PRL file you are looking for is the key you need. Once you have that *228 wont even be needed.

Upvote 0
But what I'm saying, maybe they need to flag me some 'customer provided equipment' and I can *228.

You're trying to say that if I have the right .prl file, I'll be fine. Doesn't the .prl file just contain data about where the towers are? She gets FINE reception with the 38515 .prl in there. Buffalo has had the same cdma towers around for years, and they're all contained in the base 1042/1050/whatever PRL (as well as the base of every newer .prl since then).

If this is true, then the .prl DOESN'T MATTER. Did you pay $15 or $30 or whatever when you went from a crappy Cricket phone to your flashed phone? I'm confused if you've NEVER used *228.

I'm wondering if the tower is still looking for her old phone, and since she hasn't paid to activate a new phone, *228 won't work on any other phone but hers?

Upvote 0
But what I'm saying, maybe they need to flag me some 'customer provided equipment' and I can *228.

You're trying to say that if I have the right .prl file, I'll be fine. Doesn't the .prl file just contain data about where the towers are? She gets FINE reception with the 38515 .prl in there. Buffalo has had the same cdma towers around for years, and they're all contained in the base 1042/1050/whatever PRL (as well as the base of every newer .prl since then).

If this is true, then the .prl DOESN'T MATTER. Did you pay $15 or $30 or whatever when you went from a crappy Cricket phone to your flashed phone? I'm confused if you've NEVER used *228.

I'm wondering if the tower is still looking for her old phone, and since she hasn't paid to activate a new phone, *228 won't work on any other phone but hers?

Well myself personally never *228 my phone. Now the guy that I got it from in the store may have, I couldn't tell you for sure. You could try that though, call them and say for this number I will be using customer provided equipment and see were it goes from there. I thought you did this already though, you have to get the MSID from them when you give them the ESN.

Upvote 0
Right, but when I told them that, they were just like oh well I don't know, sure. What do you need? ESN? MIN? etc etc. They didn't say anything about activating any equipment, or that there was anything special to the process.

We're gonna call *611 and talk to cust service and see what they say too.

Yea you need the correct MIN from them. Then when programming use my sheet I sent you in the NAM settings for how to input it.

Example MIN: 8582265555
MIN1:2265555 (7 digits of the MIN)
MIN2:858 (area code)
MSID:8582265555 (Whole thing)

Then in the NMSI make sure the number of zeros are correct:
NMSI:008582265555
IMSI:310008582265555

Everything after that should be untouched.

( I know you probably have that correct, Its just without seeing your programming I just wanted to make sure)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones