• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris OTA Update

Here's another bit o smack for y'all. Those who upgraded to this leaked version, no, you wont receive the OTA update as your Kernel will be that of the most current and updated one.

Hmm.. that's got deal-breaker and smoking gun written all over it: do not install this leaked 2.1, wait for the OTA.

Of course, I'm no expert. ;)

Upvote 0
Because I simply don't care. My phone works well now and I just don't feel the need to chomp at the bit for something that others are having problems with (i.e. all the "this or that doesn't work" threads). It's a "leaked" update which means it was not yet ready for primetime and, considering mine and my wife's phones are the only phones in the house, I don't see any reason to take a chance on it.

+1
I can wait for the full OTA to come since we have the same set up with our phones being the only house connections we have.

Part of me wants something to be wrong with that leaked ROM (virus?) purely for entertainment value.

And I told my friend (who is also waiting) the exact same thing. Not that I want to see anyone fail, but could you imagine? Like I said, I wish no ill feelings towards anyone.

Upvote 0
Here's another bit o smack for y'all. Those who upgraded to this leaked version, no, you wont receive the OTA update as your Kernel will be that of the most current and updated one.

Once again that is all it is.......smack. You have to remember that all the bad things you keep trying to say would apply to all HTC and Verizon testers too. They aren't going to leave their people out in the cold. Quit trying to scare people.

Upvote 0
While I took the plunge, I respect those who choose to wait for the official and all of your reasons are legitimate. I don't think you're a scaredy cat if you choose not to and others don't either..the reputable members are teasing you. I guess I'm a glutton for pain because I like a beta OS that halfway breaks my phone and then I have to find a workaround or whatever. That's part of what keeps me from getting board but some don't quite look at this phone the way I do. Hopefully OTA soon and many of the bugs fixed in that version.

See a good decent person. i had the 2.1 but then VZW sent me my new phone and now im sticking with 1.5. there really isnt nothing good about 2.1 to make me do it again so yea and plus 2.1 (official) Probably is not that far of in the future... it should Knocking on my door in about a week or so. hope that it comes on spring break

Upvote 0
Once again that is all it is.......smack. You have to remember that all the bad things you keep trying to say would apply to all HTC and Verizon testers too. They aren't going to leave their people out in the cold. Quit trying to scare people.

Oh Teedee, you missed an opportunity to have some fun with his post.

When the kernel is mentioned anywhere wrt software, people (at least geeky people) shiver, their eyes lock wide open, they begin to sweat and their dogs yip and howl at the sky. Plus their chickens run off.

Good gosh it's a site to behold.

Upvote 0

+1

I mean wtf don't you all have insurance on the phone? It's gets bricked, throw it in the lake, it will cost you $79. Well worth the money the way this 2.1 rocks. Heck, I spent more on happy hour last night. BTW, I love the new Spare Parts app. It tells you exactly what's going on with your phone, from battery drain to running apps to what is keeping your phone awake, wireless time, 3g time, everything. Desktop clock is awesome, end button actually hangs up the phone, and battery life is like I have a new phone.

But I understand if you don't want to take a chance. (yeah right)

Upvote 0
My phone worked fine, yea. But I'm not a complacent person, I hate waiting for shit. That's why i got the Eris and didn't wait for the Verizon N1. Worse comes to worse, I'm sure I could figure out a way to get 1.5 back on. The only thing that's wrong with it right now is my facebook syncing, but honestly, I can live with that.

Upvote 0
+1

I mean wtf don't you all have insurance on the phone? It's gets bricked, throw it in the lake, it will cost you $79. Well worth the money the way this 2.1 rocks. Heck, I spent more on happy hour last night. BTW, I love the new Spare Parts app. It tells you exactly what's going on with your phone, from battery drain to running apps to what is keeping your phone awake, wireless time, 3g time, everything. Desktop clock is awesome, end button actually hangs up the phone, and battery life is like I have a new phone.

But I understand if you don't want to take a chance. (yeah right)

Um, yeah, but gotta remember some peope **coughmecough** are jobless and lucky to have this phone and don't have a spare $80 they can toss down for a new phone if it gets bricked. I am on 2.1 though... ;)

Upvote 0
I'm totally feel like I'm missing out, but still holding for the time being. I DO have the rom downloaded in case I get weak, and I DID just add insurance to cover my phone in case I DO install it, Eff up my phone and have to run it over to get a new one..lol! :rolleyes: This IS my support group... thanks guys!

Upvote 0
Personally, I think that waiting for the OTA is a great luxury. I feel like i'm sitting in the catbird's seat.
- I've got a 1.5 ROM on my phone that is stable, usable, and very nice.
- I've got a 2.1 ROM downloaded that I can always put on my phone if I feel I must.
- I can read all the posts about what works/doesn't work, etc. from the early adopters.
- I have every confidence that the official OTA will come AnyDayNow.
- I have the smug satisfaction that comes with not caving in to the rush to adopt.

+1 :cool:

And we still have something awesome to look forward to! We already got to experience it first vicariously and, now, the real experience is right around the corner!

Upvote 0
+1
I mean wtf don't you all have insurance on the phone? It's gets bricked, throw it in the lake, it will cost you $79. Well worth the money the way this 2.1 rocks. Heck, I spent more on happy hour last night.

Damn.
If you spent $80 at happy hour, you either drink WAY too much, or that place doesn't have very good happy hour deals.
Probably both, I guess.

Cheers!

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0
I haven't had time to go to 2.1 yet but I am tonight as soon as I can. I am pretty tech savvy and love to mess around with anything that is the latest and greatest so I'm not too worried. Why wait when we'll get the OTA pushed to us most likely anyway when they fix the bugs and give it a different build.

Also after all the waiting for the OTA update, which probably still wont be here after March, there will be root and most will want to go root.

Search around the threads and I believe there is some posts about factory reset back to 1.5 also if you choose. I believe I read a few people talking about it.

The leaked version is just another build. Im sure they will identify the problems in the leaked version to create a new build which should be pushed out OTA to everyone including running 1.5 or the leaked version. And even if for some stupid reason it is not I'm confident someone here will figure out a work around as they always do.

Upvote 0
Oh...and a little off topic but what's up with posting real pics as your avatars? I always saw forums such as these having geeky looking girls (and guys) who wear pen protectors, tape on the glasses, etc. You are good looking people and you are shattering my image of a "geek" forum! :p

And what exactly does your avatar suggest about you??? Just curious :D

Upvote 0

yeah I like to impress people too by saying "kernal" sometimes I even drop a "CLI" in there....man people think I'm good when the fingers are flying on that plain old black screen.
Anyway all the doom and gloom I have experienced very little heartache and could live with this anyway.
lets see the cons:
Awake time was maxed: handcent as default didnt fix, chomp did other than the stupid bubbles I like it better than handscent anyway..fixed
single vibrate when making call: does do this intermittantly but honestly I would not have even noticed it if I hadn't read it here.
google login on reboot: kinda sucks but its a once a day thing now and will be more like once every two weeks when the "newness" wears off.
Addy book: the insta linking to facebook is kinda cool kinda not, getting used to it, I guess I could always just "unlink" them so...not sure if this is a "bug" or and "improvement" primary gets set by the phone and seems to be no way to change I could just not be looking hard enough.
Signal meter: always reads low, but so did mine on 1.5 just reads lower now. don't care because I've convinced myself its giving me the EVDO strength, so if I have data, voice will be fine regardless of that silly antenna

pros:
speed, way faster and I never complained about 1.5 thought it was fine
battery: wayyyy better, sitting idle I'd lose a bar on the battery in 2 hours, now I can surf, dl from market text a few people in those two hours before that bar drops off.
additional apps, but the first two are the ones for me, I might try running without sense just cause if its this quick with it why not?? i like Sense but dont "need" it.

so even if I can't get the official, if it forces a wipe I don't know if i'd do it anyway? right now the problems I'm having are well not worth griping about.

So to the folks who are waiting patiently, I say good for you, if this wasn't a toy I'd be waiting too...not mission critical and if i brick it I can turn on a Storm or pearl flip in about 10 seconds so I would still have a phone and i understand not all folks have that luxury. I've seen some posts on here that make me think there are some ppl that should NOT attempt this on their own anyway.
To those proclaiming doom and gloom and virus' to the early adopters FU! You are the ones wanting it so bad you can taste it, but to chicken to do anything about it. Probably because mommy would ground you from your phone if you break it. :p

Upvote 0
The "not mission critical" is true for many who are waiting for the OTA, as well, I'm confident.

Some of us just feel that it's expedient to go with the program rather than with the whims of those who may leak software that is in development; call us old fashioned. ;)

Interesting remark from a rather intelligent kid my daughter hangs around with. He knows little of the Android niche of smart phones, but is into Blackberries. I told him about the leak and all he said was, "some people just like to pretend like they are ahead of other people, but they're really just pretending."

Reactions: Drew95376
Upvote 0
I don't understand either "side" getting up in arms against the other. It's a personal decision, no real right or wrong here. Neither decision harms anyone, certainly not the one to wait. The only way not waiting puts anyone out is if you need help making sure you're doing it right. No big deal and many are happy to help. Remember, it's uncharted territory for most people so please don't pressure anyone who doesn't feel comfortable with it. They'll have their day soon enough. :)

Upvote 0
Interesting remark from a rather intelligent kid my daughter hangs around with. He knows little of the Android niche of smart phones, but is into Blackberries. I told him about the leak and all he said was, "some people just like to pretend like they are ahead of other people, but they're really just pretending."

That's pretty profound.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones