• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris out of the country

greenmunky

Android Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2009
Tomorrow I will be going to Canada for 10 days for a hiking trip. I know I won't be able to use the mobile network but it's possible I'll have access to WiFi in some of the places I'll be staying. Does anyone know what I will/won't be able to do with my Eris while I'm out of the country? Will I be able to turn GPS on and use Footprints or something similar to track where we went and things like that?

I was just in germany and I kept my phone in airplane mode with the GPS and WIFI turned on and both worked just fine. It took a LONG time for the GPS to lock but once it did it would relock quickly.

With the phone in airplane mode so the cell network and cell radio were off the phone lasted like 4 days on one charge with pretty heavy usage.

Reactions: greenmunky
Upvote 0
I was just in germany and I kept my phone in airplane mode with the GPS and WIFI turned on and both worked just fine. It took a LONG time for the GPS to lock but once it did it would relock quickly.

With the phone in airplane mode so the cell network and cell radio were off the phone lasted like 4 days on one charge with pretty heavy usage.

Good call on airplane mode. I didn't think that would work because every time I turn it on to get rid of the 50% signal bug it automatically turns my WiFi off, but after testing it just now I found that I could turn it back on with no ill effects on the airplane mode. Thanks a bunch, this'll help quite a bit.

Upvote 0
I just got back from a 10 day trip to Whistler and Vancouver. Everything worked fine - voice, 3G, GPS. Before you go make sure you call Verizon and change over to the North America & Canada plan to avoid any rude surprises on your bill when you return. It cost me an additional $40 for both voice & data for the period I was gone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones