Eris owner thinking of getting the Moto Droid

Last Updated:

1. Bxrider11

Bxrider11 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am getting close to my 30 day mark with the Droid Eris. I pretty much chose this phone because of the form factor. I am coming from the Storm 1, which I was always updating the OS or installing a some hybrid. I want to stick with the Eris, but I am unsure that we will get an Android update on Jan. 22. I feel like I need a little more power and umph. I am thinking of trading my Eris in for the Droid.

Has anyone done that and what are your thoughts?

Advertisement
  2. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

If you like the form factor, you may want to stick with it. The Droid isn't too big, but it's definitely on another size level when compared with the Eris. Either way, I don't think you can go too wrong. Big brother Droid should have better battery life and be faster in general, plus if you ever need it you have the keyboard sitting there, and you can be assured you'll get updates for a while, since it's bound to be Verizon's flagship for at least the next few months.

My friend at work has the Eris, and she loves my Droid, but says she won't switch to it because of the size/design. Fair enough, but I think the performance outweighs the other differences. It's all up to you, of course. I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other; I think both phones are great.

3. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

I hit the Verizon store yesterday, and got to finger-fsck an Eris... and I like it!

If it were at Android 2.0, and had the neat dock things that the Droid has, I would have been seriously tempted to switch. I like the form factor of the Eris better than the Droid. I could do without the physical keyboard as well.

Hopefully the Eris form factor sticks around, with improvements under the hood, and maybe when I can upgrade, I'll switch from the Droid to the Eris... Regardless, I am pretty sure my next phone will be an Android device.

4. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

It is my understanding that the Eris has the Sense UI that many Droid owners are slobbering over. Beautiful Widgets fills that gap for the moment but it may disappear soon... so if you like the interface of your Eris, you may want to stick with it. The Droid, on the other hand, is a beastly beauty of a device. It's a matter of personal preference, but that's my 0.02 worth :)

5. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Sense UI is nice, but it sits in memory (and uses a good chunk of it) and isn't really more appealing to me than just making my own setup with third party widgets. To each their own.

6. tjrocks91

tjrocks91 Active Member

i switched from an eris to the moto droid and i dont regret it at all. the droid is way faster and more responsive than the eris. it's physical keyboard is nice to in addition to the virtual keyboard. you might hate the camera though. but i say its completely worth it to get it switched.

7. mcapehart

mcapehart Active Member

I switched, mostly based on the horrible battery life of the Eris. I did love the Sense UI, but as others said, the speed and power of the Droid is far superior and the battery life is many times better, so it was a no-brainer for me.

Since my wife doesn't have the demands of a device that I do, I may get my her the Eris (or maybe the Incredible, given the rumor that VZW will be getting it) when her upgrade rolls around in a few months.