Eris Picture Message Problem FixGeneral

Last Updated:

1. jhewit22

jhewit22 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Alright...here is the final solution to the Droid Eris picture message issues! My phone was giving me a gray "download" box when I got a MMS picture message from ANYONE. I clicked the button and it does nothing but give me an error message.

I went into Verizon with this problem and they admitted to me that there is a KNOWN problem in the HTC Droid Eris line. The early models of the Eris have a hardware problem. HTC was so focused on getting their 3G data right, that they skipped an essential part of the 1x data where MMS picture messages come through over all networks.

Basically, I asked the Verizon rep why they didn't tell any of us users who purchased the Eris from the earliest models and they told me that it was an HTC error, not theirs. All they can do is replace the phone to one of the newer models. I just had this done, and it works perfectly. They could have easily contacted all users with the Eris and said that HTC had a problem instead of leaving us to figure it out on our own. They could have provided good customer service and decided not to do so!!

This is the only solution and the Verizon rep knew about the problem and was very helpful. I told him that I was going to post this online, telling ALL users who purchased the early models of the Eris (I got mine in late-November) to take it into Verizon and have a replacement ordered.

All of my paid apps transferred, contacts transferred, pictures transferred, etc...just had to set up my scenes again and download my free apps again...not a big deal!

Jeremy

Advertisement
  2. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I've done two factory-resets on my phone in the last couple months, and as of yesterday, everything seemed to be working. I've been holding out hope that when (if) the OTA comes, it will make everything better.

But then this morning I got another "Message not downloaded" notification. So I guess I'll be going to a Verizon store soon. And I can just imagine how that's gonna go. I will be told that I should try a factory reset of the phone. I'll tell them that I did, twice. They'll tell me to try again and come back if it doesn't work. And so the run-around goes.

On another note, I did have an experience with HTC through their customer support about this, and what follows are the emails exchanged:

Original Message sent by me back at the beginning of March:

Today, my Droid Eris began giving me error messages anytime I received a MMS/picture message, if anything showed up at all. I've been having people send me various picture messages and none of them are coming through. From reading online forums, I see that I am not the only one to have this problem and not the first to contact you about it. Please help me fix this, and I would prefer an answer other than "perform a factory reset." That is not a satisfactory solution, as it does not address what caused the problem in the first place. Thank you.

Their Reply: (****PLEASE NOTE that she said a couple hundred people having this problem really isn't a concern of theirs.)

Jason, Thank you for your reply. Yes, I did look over the forums. We do understand that some people have been having this issue, however, a couple hundred people on a forum having the same issue compared to how many people have the device is not really a lot. HTC had been unable to duplicate this issue, which means at this time it is not a known issue. I have given you the troubleshooting that we have for this type of issue. If you have already done all the troubleshooting steps that I have suggested, including removing any third party applications and making sure that Mobile Networks is checked, then the only other option we have at this time is to perform a hard reset on the device. Please Note: A hard reset will delete all personal information from the device and restore it back to factory default settings. You can do this by going to Menu > Settings > Security > Factory Data Reset and follow the on-screen instructions. After the factory reset, if you are still having issues getting the picture messages to download, you may call our Repair Center at 1-888-617-1113 for hardware support. If you have any further issues please reply. You may also enjoy community.htc.com, our customer-based forum, which has a plethora of information on HTC devices. You may also be able to find feedback here from other users in your area who have purchased from any of HTC’s 3rd party retailers. I would also like to invite you to participate in a customer satisfaction survey located at HTC Online Survey. I hope you have a great day! HTC America Technical Support Liz HTC - Mobile Phones, Smartphones, Cell Phones, PDAs - Official HTC Website HTC Community - Self Help Forum

My next message to them:

Performed the factory reset, everything was fine for a couple of days and then the problem began again today. Before I go through the trouble of taking the phone back to a Verizon store and make a warranty claim, can you please tell me if the Android 2.0 or 2.1 will be coming to the Eris anytime soon? I'd like to believe that any update might solve the problem. As far as HTC not being able to duplicate the issue, I'd be happy to set up some sort of video conference via skype or gmail to show a technician what the problem is. Thanks again.

Their final reply:

Jason, Thank you once again for your reply. I realize how frustrating it is that the problem begins again. If you have downloaded any third party applications that you have had before while experiencing this issue, you may need to uninstall them. Beyond that, of course, you can contact our repair department. The repair department also handles any warranty claims, so you will need to speak with them to do this. The number again is 1-888-617-1113. In regards to the update for the Eris, the estimated time we have received is around the end of the first quarter for this year. This update should correct this and similar issues once it is released. When it is released, it should be sent over the air to your device and you will be notified when it is available to install. While we are glad that you are enthusiastic about this issue, we are unable to set up a video conference at this time. However, your feedback is much appriciated. Please don't forget the customer satisfaction survey located at HTC Online Survey . You may also enjoy community.htc.com, our customer-based forum, which has a plethora of information on HTC devices. I hope you have a great day! HTC America Technical Support Liz HTC - Mobile Phones, Smartphones, Cell Phones, PDAs - Official HTC Website HTC Community - Self Help Forum

3. jhewit22

jhewit22 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

That's crap- take it to Verizon and demand a replacement due to the known issue of mms pictures and HTC's lack of putting the proper pieces into the phone for 1x data. I didn't have to explain anything to Verizon, they already knew of the problem and got me a replacement phone sent to my house with 2-day UPS.

4. Hillary

Hillary New Member

Thank you so much for posting this. I was on the phone with verizon yesterday about this issue for over an hour and the minute one picture message finally came through, the person hurried herself off of the phone. I am still having this problem and am on my second droid eris already. I had no idea what was going on until this post and will absolutly be taking this to the verizon store in my area. (im on a fist name bases ive been there so many times this month.) Thanks guys!