Eris possessed?General

Last Updated:

1. TheOmega

TheOmega Member This Topic's Starter

This is getting annoying.... my eris seems to decide to do things on its own. During the last two nights between surfing and a little tv I looked down to find my eris in the search menu, displaying the keyboard and randomly selecting letters and numbers in the search box to no end. Tonight, while charging, my phone just started to go randomly through its settings menu selecting enabling/disabling items found there. I either have a lemon, or a demon... this and a nav that only seems to work where I live and know is pushing over the edge...

I like the phone

Advertisement
  2. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member

i would. i havemt heard of this issue for anyone else. sounds like a ig issue, could be placing calls at inopportune moments etc.
    my advice is to swap it out with a new one from verizon

3. textstev

textstev Well-Known Member

wow sounds like major hacked phone, u connect to a wifi or bluetooth that might be hacked in?

if not u might as well as call it possessed or defective.

4. TheOmega

Could it be the charger? Anyone else have problems with a non-HTC chadger? I just use an old mini usb charger at home and leave the HTC one at work.

5. MOS95B

MOS95B Well-Known Member

I use several differen MiniUSB chargers and cables with no problems.

I think your house is haunted, dude.....

6. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Uh... yeah.

7. lgldrgdlr

lgldrgdlr Well-Known Member

When it's typing on the keyboard, is it creating an actual message? Maybe your house is haunted and the ghost is trying to contact you through the phone.

I'd go swap it out for a new one.

8. TheOmega

Seems I have to re-login for each reply. Just random letters, numbers, and symbols. The keys highlight as if I were touching them.

9. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

It can do this on any charger. I had an Eris that even did this plugged into the computer, with the stock HTC cable.

The charging point is right behind about where the keyboard area is on the phone. The electromagnetic field created by charging the phone is enough to mess with the touch screen.

A capactive touch screen works by the electromagnetic field generated by your finger creating a 'touch'. The touches you're seeing are due to the large and inconsistent electromagnetic field generated by your phone being on the charger. Turn off the screen, take it off the charger, wait a couple of minutes, and then see if it is OK. If it's not, reboot. It'll be OK eventually.

The charger does this sporadically, even the HTC one. Not for some, all the time for others. Every one of the 4 Eris's I've had my hands on have been this way. Just don't play with it when it's on the wall charger. When plugged into a computer, it's not as bad.

10. TheOmega

Wow, sensitive little sucker... Thanks for the info. And in just this short message it seems 10X better off the charger. I'm just in the habit of keeping it on the charger.

11. isherwood

isherwood Well-Known Member

Mine started playing a youtube video in the middle of the night. Creeped out my wife.

12. EddieVersatile

EddieVersatile Well-Known Member

lol soo... No More Ouija Boards? lol

13. TheOmega

Not atm, but if this thing is going to continue to randomly change its own settings when charging as it did last night it will be getting replaced. Now where is the setting to stop the screen from staying on when charging?

14. BadgerBeth

BadgerBeth New Member

My wildfire does exactly the same thing. It calls people all the times, unlocks my phone, turns off my alarm or just does random stuff. It actually called my boyfriend the other night when I was asleep, it connected for 120 mins, which meant I went over my minute allowance so now my bill will be immense. I literally hate my phone! Will be trying to get a different phone first thing tomorrow...

15. Dulce14u

Dulce14u New Member

I've had the Eris since February of last year. It started doing what you explained and I have had 3 phones now since then. It is just the crappy phone tweeking out.

Now on top of that, the cursor moves to the left randomly and in no particular order, just as it feels. I've read a lot on it and the only thing that seems to help for about 1 day or 2 is pressing pressing down the trackball and using a piece of paper to move it around. (yes a piece of paper lined, plain white, whatever).

I've just rooted and looking to install a rom to see if that helps...

Since I saw your post (while looking for rom links) and the responses (too funny, love the sense of humor) I'd figured I let you know you're not going crazy, your house is not haunted, it's just your phone tweeking or bad need of a "fix" = updated rom

Best of luck to us Eris owners.
    Dulce