• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Eris ROMs

It's personally easier for me to do it that way. I follow AF throughout the day when I'm out and about and I have a charger in each vehicle I drive so I don't worry about the battery. I have a couple of cords to connect to the computer with but I have to fiddle with them.:mad: Is there a way to transfer files thru bluetooth or something?
nothing wrong with doin it that way bobcat :) wat kind of trouble do you have with USB cables?

New one: Why when I try to just type and run anything in my emulator (seems easiest way to get things done) I get "permission denied"? Guys I'm sorry for all the questions, I'm learning as I go and sometimes when I can't find an answer on my own on the net I just ask. I like to learn quickly.

You have to type "su" before you can do things in terminal emulator. The first time,the superuser permissions box will pop up. Make sure "remember" is checkedand tap "allow" at that point the $ should change to a #,indicating you have super user access :)

what are you trying to use terminal emulator to do?

Reactions: GJW419
Upvote 0
nothing wrong with doin it that way bobcat :) wat kind of trouble do you have with USB cables?

You have to type "su" before you can do things in terminal emulator. The first time,the superuser permissions box will pop up. Make sure "remember" is checkedand tap "allow" at that point the $ should change to a #,indicating you have super user access :)

I don't know how y'all do these little quotes but I usually have to hold the cord a certain way to work so I think the must be getting loose. None of my car chargers do that.

Upvote 0

Yep. Did all that first time I installed emulator. I hate to say this BUT, I am, um, thinking I can install a ROM using the emulator? Just seemed easiest. I have Google Chrome to Phone, I'm going to read up on that and start really using that I think.

Upvote 0
See the blue quote tab down there in the right hand corner of the dialogue box? Click that in the box of the message you are following/quoting and it will appear above YOUR text in a freash box created for you to type in.

What I want to know is how do people use a section of a quote. Example. The last post Scotty did he asked me a question and when I reply I only want to quote his question to me and not his whole post since all of it didn't pertain to me. And how does one use multiple quotes in the same post.

Upvote 0
What I want to know is how do people use a section of a quote. Example. The last post Scotty did he asked me a question and when I reply I only want to quote his question to me and not his whole post since all of it didn't pertain to me. And how does one use multiple quotes in the same post.

Oh...........sorry. And here I thought I was finally helping someone for once.

Upvote 0

Simplest way to explain it is to click on Quote. Then copy and paste the stuff it automatically puts there to create the box. Each time you do that, a new blue quote box will appear. Then you just change the text appropriately. Make sense?

Upvote 0
THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!!! Caps: To show my frustration. This is supposed to be fun, enjoyable. Not frustrating. Nothing is working and I am hitting every snag out there. All I am trying to do is get this KaosGingerBread I have in a zip in my docs on my phone. I have RomManager, Astro, Quickboot....everything I have read about is in/on my Eris. The only thing I don't have with this phone..........is patience LOL.
I try to use Rom Manager: Says my SD card is not mounted.
I try to put it into the reader and into my comp port: It says write-protected.
My trackball isn't working with RA so I installed Clockworkmod.
I'm trying to read and learn and do and nothing is working. Just saying.
Oh, and I'm an Aries. That definitely doesn't help at all.

Upvote 0
THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!!! Caps: To show my frustration. This is supposed to be fun, enjoyable. Not frustrating. Nothing is working and I am hitting every snag out there. All I am trying to do is get this KaosGingerBread I have in a zip in my docs on my phone. I have RomManager, Astro, Quickboot....everything I have read about is in/on my Eris. The only thing I don't have with this phone..........is patience LOL.

Calm down my man help is on the way.:) I'm a picses but I don't know what all that means. Just saying.:D

Upvote 0
You would have been better off installing Scary Alien's alternate Amon's Recovery, I think, that doesn't require the trackball.

That said, if you have GSB and the Google apps zip files on your SD card, and Scary's Android app AFV has passed a JAR validation of both files, you should restart the phone into Clockword Recovery and install the ROM from there.

Scary's AFV app: https://market.android.com/details?id=sa.afv&feature=search_result

Do not skip the part about verifying the two .zip files. Unlike Amon's, Clockwork Recovery will not verify signed zip files before attempting to install them.

Scary's alternate Amon's Recovery, with instructions to install: http://androidforums.com/eris-all-t...2-custom-recovery-trackball-not-required.html

Upvote 0
Calm down my man help is on the way.:) I'm a picses but I don't know what all that means. Just saying.:D
Aries are impatient, quick-tempered etc. Just pretty much making a joke and light of the situation is all.

Ok, got Scarys app.......very cool. Wish everything was that easy. Now going to get the trackball op on here then going for the GB ROM.

ALL I see is a freaking white screen when I open the RA thing. I download it, have the folder. open it.........and it's just a white screen and nothing on my phone.

Okay. I need a new, fresh, take a deep breath restart approach. I have added so much to this phone from reading forums I don't know what I DO need and what I don't. I don't know what is working against each other so.....I did a phone factory restore. I did the wipe and then the davic(k?) wipe three times. I am fresh..........and I am going to start from scratch and ONLY put in what I need so.....any advice as to what exactly to do/add to get to the point where I can add the ROM of my choice would be appreciated. Sorry guys. And I thank you.

Upvote 0
wow... alot has gone on since my last post

Yep. Did all that first time I installed emulator. I hate to say this BUT, I am, um, thinking I can install a ROM using the emulator? Just seemed easiest. I have Google Chrome to Phone, I'm going to read up on that and start really using that I think.

no,you dont want to use terminal emulator to install roms. im not sure if thats even possible :eek: if it is,its NOT the easiest way.

ok,first of all,delete rom manager. right now. before doing anything eles... get it off of there,in order to use it you must use clockwork recovery instead of Amon RA. you dont want to do it... trust me. delete it.right now.

Aries are impatient, quick-tempered etc. Just pretty much making a joke and light of the situation is all.

Ok, got Scarys app.......very cool. Wish everything was that easy. Now going to get the trackball op on here then going for the GB ROM.

ALL I see is a freaking white screen when I open the RA thing. I download it, have the folder. open it.........and it's just a white screen and nothing on my phone.

Okay. I need a new, fresh, take a deep breath restart approach. I have added so much to this phone from reading forums I don't know what I DO need and what I don't. I don't know what is working against each other so.....I did a phone factory restore. I did the wipe and then the davic(k?) wipe three times. I am fresh..........and I am going to start from scratch and ONLY put in what I need so.....any advice as to what exactly to do/add to get to the point where I can add the ROM of my choice would be appreciated. Sorry guys. And I thank you.
ok,here im a little confused. do you you have scaries trackball optional app working with amon ra recovery? or do you not? if not,there will be no more discussions of rom flashing until you do...lets take things one step at a time.

once you have that working- forget all about rom manager,astro,terminal emulator,g script,etc. you dont use any of those to flash a rom.

youre making it way too complicated than it needs to be.

basic steps:
1)put a rom on the root of your sd card. put gapps on sd card(if needed)
2)boot into recovery
3)make a backup
4) flash the rom
4a) flash associated gapps pacakge (not always done... some roms include gapps. some dont)
5) reboot phone

breaking it down:
step 1: if you wish to download right to your phone,ill let one of the guys explain it,cause i dont do it that way. if you do it this way,you WILL have to use astro(or similar program,despite what i said earlier) to move the file from downloads to the top level of your sd card.

the way i do it:
say i want to download gingershedbread.
1) i go to XDA,find the thread(wich is linked above,also) and download the most recent version onto my computer. it goes into a folder on my computer(c/users/scotty/downloads in my case,but thats not really important).also download the reccomended gapps if needed.
2) i open a "windows explorer" and navigate to where gingershedbread is stored.in windows 7,using chrome, you can just click the little arrow on the download box,then click "show in folder" and it will automatically open windows explorer to the location your download went to.
3)on the phone press menu then settings/applications/development and make sure usb debugging is checked.
4)i plug in the phone,chose the options to transfer files. i forget exactly how it is on a stock eris. *someone pleas chime in here...*
3)when the computer sees the plugged in phone,it will look like a usb flash drive. i open a 2nd "windows explorer" window,and navigate to the phone(could be disc D,E,whatever,depending on how many storage devices your computer has.) the files you see are your sd card. this is the top level,or root level.
4) right click on the file you want to move. drag it from one window to the other. wait for it to finish transfering. if you downloaded a gapps file to flash,transfer it the same way.
*note: the important thing here is do NOT accidentally drop it into another folder. it has to be on the same level as all the other files youre seeing.
5) now make sure you eject the phone from your computer BEFORE turning off usb storage on the phone.
6)turn off usb storage. unplug phone.

second step: boot into recovery.
i feel like this is confusing you for some reason,and it shouldnt. all you have to is power off your phone. power it back on holding "volume down" and "power". you will see a while screen that says <send> for fastboot <volume up> for recovery. push the volume up button on the side of your phone.

this should take you to "android system recovery" a black screen with green letters.

step 3: make a backup
navigate down to backup/restore either with the tracball or the send button(assuming you have scaries alternate recovery working). chose it with the tracball or the end button. navigate to nand back up and chose it. press again to confirm.

let it do its thing... it will take a couple minutes.

when it comes back up,you can push volume down to go back. then you can go on to step 4

step 4: flash rom
navigate down to wipe. chose it
navigate to wipe data/factory reset. chose it. again to confirm
navigate down to wipe dalvic cache. chose it. again to confirm
volume down to go back a menu

navigate down to flash zip from sd card. chose it.
you will be presented with a list of flashable zips that are on your sd card. the one you placed there in step 1 will be there. navigate to it and chose it. again to confirm
let it do its thing.

when its finished,youll be back at the main menu. heres where its alittle different. if the particular rom your flashing requires a seperate flash of gapps,then navigate to flash zip from sd card a second time.chose it. this time youll scroll down to the gapps that you downloaded and placed in your sd card,along with the rom. chose it. again to confirm. let it do its thing. when its done,youll be back at the main menu again.

this time,you can chose "reboot system now" to restart your phone. dont be alarmed if it takes a long time to start back up. the initial startup is always long.

now,when your pone comes back up,youll be at the "touch the android to begin" screen. touch him. it will lead you thru syncing your google acount,just like when you first got the phone.

do not be alarmed if the phone is laggy and sluggish at first. it has alot of syncing and downloading to do.

rom manager is gone,right?? ;)

edit: i would pick kaos GB for your first rom. its not nearly as complete or functional as gingershedbread,if you have your heart set on a 2.3 rom

2nd edit: i did this while looking at my phone,but not actually making a backup or flashing a rom. please check it out and let me know if i missed any lil details.

Upvote 0
4)i plug in the phone,chose the options to transfer files. i forget exactly how it is on a stock eris. *someone pleas chime in here...*

THIS is my main problem. I have all the right files in my downloads on my PC now. I am having serious trouble finding them on my phone to transfer. Yes, I wiped everything clean that you said, (Astro,Rom Mgr...etc.) and have RA1.6.2. I have the ROM I want in my files on PC, I just can NOT get these files onto my phone and if I did I don't know where they are. Once I get THAT solved, I am ready to go. And you took ALOT of time to respond, thank you VERY much.

THIS IS POSTED IN ANOTHER FORUM (I'M NOT THE ONLY ERIS GUY WITH THIS PROBLEM)
Post:4)i plug in the phone,chose the options to transfer files. i forget exactly how it is on a stock eris. *someone pleas chime in here...*
Answer:All you should have to do is connect the cable from your Eris to a USB port on your computer. A notification should come up on the Eris. Tap on it to bring it up and mount the phone to the computer. This turns the phone's SD card into a USB flash drive while it's connected. Then using the file manager in Vista (or XP or Win7) transfer your files. Unmount the phone, disconnect the cable and the files you transferred are now ready for use on the Eris.

THIS IS MY PROBLEM WHY I'M STUCK: I am not being given the option to mount my SD card when I plug my USB cable in!!!!! Just the charge/Sense/Disc options. I try it with debugged checked and unchecked. This has been my dilema and why I can't move forward.

Upvote 0
ok now were getting somewhere :D

beleive it or not,your prollem sounds like a bad cable. ive got a couple of cables that when plugged in,will do nothing, and a couple that will show the phone charging,but NOT bring up the usb connected promt on the phone. and even one cable that seems to work,but transfers files soooooooo slow that it can cause windows to crash :eek:

i would start by beg,borrow,or steal some different cables,and try plugging them into different ports.

what do the options say exactly on the phone,when you plug in the cable?

Upvote 0
ok now were getting somewhere :D

beleive it or not,your prollem sounds like a bad cable. ive got a couple of cables that when plugged in,will do nothing, and a couple that will show the phone charging,but NOT bring up the usb connected promt on the phone. and even one cable that seems to work,but transfers files soooooooo slow that it can cause windows to crash :eek:

i would start by beg,borrow,or steal some different cables,and try plugging them into different ports.

what do the options say exactly on the phone,when you plug in the cable?

edit: im restoring my stock 2.1. ill be able to tell you in a sec what the choices should say

Upvote 0
mmkay... on the stock 2.1. plug that sucker in. youll see a screen that has the following choices:
-charge only
-HTC sync
-Disk drive

put the lil green dot by "disc drive" and tap "done", if youre on a windows machine it will now prolly bring up the "auto play" box. now you can close that box,then open up a windows explorer window(right click on the little start icon in the bottom left) and transfer files as i described above... just drag them from one place to the other.

when youre done,eject the phone from the computer first,then wake up your phone. then pull down the notifications tab from the top of the phone. tap disk drive. put the green dot back by "charge only". tap done. now its safe to unplug.

Just the charge/Sense/Disc options.
hope that helps... from your above post,you dont have bad cables,you just dint know which option to chose. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones