Eris root and 2.1 updateGeneral

Last Updated:

1. 50chendt

50chendt Active Member This Topic's Starter

Dec 15, 2009
    So i found this link from which shows you how to root your eris and put 2.1 on it. I want 2.1 but i am not sure about the root. Any cons to rooting? Will i still receive ota updates? Anything i can do with rooted eris that i can't do with non-rooted that would make the phone a lot better? I don't want to overclock it i am just looking for more options with the phone. Will i lose all my contacts and apps by doing this? Can i use different apps like the ones the moto droid can use but i can't because i am on 1.5?

2. plugnpl4y

plugnpl4y Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2010
    1. Cons - Rooting is totally reversible if done right. In my opinion the only con (and not a huge concern) is running ROMs on your phone that you didn't build (you're trusting the devs).

2. OTA updates - I don't know the answer to that, but I'm sure someone does.

3. What can you do with root - You can remove applications that you otherwise couldn't. You can also run the custom ROMs I was referring to which all have their own unique properties.

4. Losing information - Provided that your contacts are synced with Google you will not lose them. You will lose your apps. You will not lose what's stored on your SD card (to be sure you could always mount it to a PC and back it up).

5. Different apps - You will be able to run applications written for 2.1. This will include standard 2.1 features as well as any apk's you find online (N1 music player, News & Weather, Live Wallpapers, etc.)

I would say go for it, but you are will be essentially stepping outside of the VZW support bubble.
  3. Papadroid

Papadroid VIP Member VIP Member

Jan 21, 2010