Eris Rooting...is anything lost? Apps? Paid Apps? Contacts?

Last Updated:

1. adirobdack46r

adirobdack46r Member This Topic's Starter

I've read rooting an Eris for dummies. Fantastic write up, something even I can do. I've read some pros and cons to rooting, and a few other threads. I haven't read anywhere about loss of data. I'm sorry for such a naive newbie question but if I root my Eris do I lose stuff like contacts, apps, apps I've paid for?

Advertisement
  2. es0tericcha0s

es0tericcha0s Well-Known Member

Cons? Pssh, only if you don't actually enjoy using your phone lol. Apps and contacts are resynced by Google upon rebooting of your phone. Worse case scenario is that Google forgets a couple of your regular apps and doesn't redownload your paid ones, but they will still be marked Purchased via the Market and you will not have to pay to get them again. One way to guard against this, once you root your phone and have super user privileges, is to reboot your phone like normal before you put on a new custom rom and back up your apps with Titanium Backup. Very handy app, that. Can also be used to get rid of those pesky stock apps that you might not care for ala Amazon MP3 and the like. Hope this helps...

3. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

You should also be aware that you can root your phone without installing a custom ROM overtop of your current setup. You would basically just be giving yourself limited root capabilities (i.e., being able to install root-only apps, the option to install a new kernel so that you can overclock) in-place on your phone. The in-place root would basically just install a custom recovery overtop of your stock recovery and then install the su program and SuperUser app to give you root (via just flashing rootme.zip or engtools3.zip vs. flashing a custom rooted ROM).

You would then always have the option to install custom ROMs in the future if you chose to.

You should be aware that rooting does void your warranty and that you would probably need to un-root if you had to return you phone to VZW.

4. VanDums

VanDums Well-Known Member

You can also export your contacts to your SD card from contacts if you have phone only contacts that aren't synced with Google. On the new rom you would just go to contacts and import. If you root I'd recommend the one click root. Much easier than even rooting for dummies. You can also download and app backup program from the marketplace. On the new rom you would download the same app and restore any apps that weren't restored automatically.

5. adirobdack46r

adirobdack46r Member This Topic's Starter

I went for it and rooted. When I was all done rooting and flashing the Rom, all my email accounts were gone, and I think every app I had previously installed. Fortunately I had been running MyBackupPro and had just made a backup. After recovering data and apps from MyBackupPro, there were still no email accounts setup, had to set those up again manualy. The backups were on the sd card but I had to buy MyBackuppro again. Maybe there was another way as google should have known I had purchased it before, but no biggie. After restoring the backups only a couple apps didn't reappear. I thought MyBackupPro was supposed to restore app data/settings too. The selection when choosing app restoration is "APKs", "DATA", or "APKs+DATA". I went with the later, and then after even did the "DATA" again, but still things like alarms and profiles from within certain apps were just gone. Oh well, I have things pretty much back up to normal now.

So now that I'm rooted and running PlaneJaneT2 V2.0, what kind of cool stuff can I do with my phone that I couldn't before :D

6. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Well, you can make a phone call without taking time out to go get a cup of coffee while waiting for it to dial. :)

For ME, the best thing about a rooted phone and a decent ROM is lack of lag. I do however admit I get a cheap thrill out removing software that I have no intentions of using, like Peep, Twitter, Facebook - that kind of thing (guess I'm just not very 'social').