• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

adrenalinerush12

Nov 27, 2009
Today I was using my phone as normal, texting people, making a few calls, using GPS to get directions to somewhere (just not turn-by-turn...yet). Then all of sudden, I get no responses back from my texts. I try sending again, failed. I try calling someone, only to get a Verizon computer voice saying my phone cannot be authenticated. It told me to dial #8899. So, I did.

It takes me straight to an actual Verizon representative, asking me what is wrong. I tell her, and she tells me she needs me to call the same number on another phone. So, I do. Except dialing #8899 from another phone gives me a, "We're sorry, the number you have dialed is incorrect...blah blah blah."

Next, I call the number again from my Eris, this time connecting me to a male representative. He tells me the lady I talked to was stupid, because she was supposed to call ME back on another phone. I told him the problem, and he went on to tell me that he needed me to turn my phone off, pull the battery, turn it back on, etc.

Next he tells me to dial this weird number that I can't remember, taking me to some sort of "secret" (but not really) options menu with info about my phone. Then he tells me I need to manually change some numbers. So I have to edit some kinda home sid numbers (or something) and he tells me that my phone got all out of whack.

I did everything he said, rebooted, and it worked. The guy knew what he was doing, surprisingly. I don't know what the heck is up with my phone going all haywire suddenly, but who knows.

Thought I'd share.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones